Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the government are getting rid of ID cards..why?

This leads to a problem:

Can't get a provisional license (due to epilepsy) and don't feel very safe carrying my passport around for some reason..or do a lot of people do this?

Please help!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Colour photocopy of your driving licence?

ReputationRep:
    buy one before they get rid of them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    hardly anywhere will accept that
    they dont even accept photocopies of passports

ReputationRep:
    afraid you're gonna have to put up with taking a passport out with you, at least for a few years

ReputationRep:
    Get one of those PASS cards.

(unless that's what you mean by 'ID Cards' as I'm assuming you mean ID cards for citizens (e.g. instead of a passport)

ReputationRep:
    "Any full-time student aged 12 years and over, at high school, college or university is eligible for an ISIC card. As long as you're a student, it doesn't matter whether you're 12 or 112." - it counts as proof-of-age, I do believe since it features your birth date. So, at least until you finish school/university, you'll have something - after that, it's just carrying your passport around, or seeking out another alternative.

http://www.isic.org

ReputationRep:
    Like **** should there be an ID card. I live in the UK not North Korea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    'Can't get a provisional license (due to epilepsy)'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    Get one of those PASS cards.

(unless that's what you mean by 'ID Cards' as I'm assuming you mean ID cards for citizens (e.g. instead of a passport)
    Oh so the PASS cards are acceptable?

Can someone please verify that this will be ok:

http://www.validateuk.co.uk/

?

Thankyou all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemhistorian)
    Oh so the PASS cards are acceptable?

Can someone please verify that this will be ok:

http://www.validateuk.co.uk/

?

Thankyou all
    PASS cards are authentic and should be universally accepted by everybody. There may be some places that say no, but they should accept it

(Was told to accept them as acceptable ID by my employer, Waitrose)

ReputationRep:
    Lie about your epilepsy to get your prov licence and never learn to drive?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Apparently the government are getting rid of ID cards..why?

This leads to a problem:

Can't get a provisional license (due to epilepsy) and don't feel very safe carrying my passport around for some reason..or do a lot of people do this?

Please help!

Thanks

I can't get a driving license either, I always carry my passport with me. There isn't much else you can do I am afraid, as they're the only two pieces of ID most places accept.

As long as you're careful you should be OK (e.g. keep it in your bag and don't let it out of your sight, men should keep it in a zipped front pocket).

ReputationRep:
    I have one of those pass cards and not everywhere accepts it

ReputationRep:
    didnt even know there were ID cards..

ReputationRep:
    A fair few do end up carrying their passports around for proof of age nowadays, which is admittedly one of the few downsides of not having a compulsory ID card system in this country. As others have suggested, your alternative is to apply for one of the PASS hologram cards (Citizencard, Validate UK or similar) which virtually all high street retailers will accept. They are by no means universally accepted in drinking venues, however.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's no real alternative I'm afraid. Ideally, licensed premises should be more flexible about who they admit and sell-to, but unfortunately underage drinking seems to have become a bit of a moral panic in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildebeest)
    A fair few do end up carrying their passports around for proof of age nowadays, which is admittedly one of the few downsides of not having a compulsory ID card system in this country. As others have suggested, your alternative is to apply for one of the PASS hologram cards (Citizencard, Validate UK or similar) which virtually all high street retailers will accept. They are by no means universally accepted in drinking venues, however.
    What are the plus sides?

ReputationRep:
    What are the plus sides?
    It would make dealing with age-restricted sales far simpler for retailers and customers alike. The proposed UK card system just happened to be executed very poorly and at entirely the wrong time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VersaEmerge)
    didnt even know there were ID cards..
    The rather controversial compulsory ID cards New Labour were planning to introduce but they have since been abandoned by the new government (for financial and political reasons).

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Lie about your epilepsy to get your prov licence and never learn to drive?
    lol.

Or tell the truth and they still give you one! I applied for a driving licence in 2005, wanting to get rejected as this would have the allowed me to then apply for my bus pass. Imagine my surprise when one arrived in the post :facepalm:

It took six weeks for them to sort out. The DVLA really are cretins.

Anyway, I just make do with my passport. I don't really like carrying it around with me but then I rarely need it as I don't drink too often.

I used to have a Citizencard but in three years (18 until 21) I was never, ever IDed. So I got rid of it.

A number of the pubs I do frequent don't accept the Citizencard anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.