Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hate My Flatmates and wants to move watch

Announcements

Basically, its freshers week. Now i understand that people do go crazy and because i stupidly chose to go to a Party City (Newcastle) that in some respects i brought the current situation on myself. However as 'nice' as my flatmates are, there are certain things i hate about them.

Firstly i placed my own cooking stuff and food in a communal area. After 3 days of my pans being constantly burnt and hardly washed. My food eaten or left out of the fridge. I had to buy a mini fridge and place it all in my room, which was considered 'unreasonable' and me being a 'quim' whatever that means, for not sharing my belongings of which have of them could not be arsed to buy.

Secondly, I don't care what time they go out or what time they get back, so long after 2am that they are respectful enough to keep the volume down to a reasonable level. But because my room backs onto the lounge, they feel it is necessary to bang on my wall and door at 2am - 5am in the morning knowing full well i have stuff early on the next day. Simply for a laugh after repeatedly telling them to stop doing it.

Lastly, they do not seem to grasp the basic concepts of hygiene nor have any motivation to sort out the bills or other important work, they expect me to do it all for them.

Now i know its freshers week, but this is unacceptable, i cannot see the situation changing in the near future. Therefore i feel that in order to preserve my sanity, furthermore to make sure that i can function at University I have to move. Does anyone have any experience of this?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with this...I had to put up with this...and worse for a whole year, and as my bedroom had no locks, they'd trash my rool and steal. The landlord couldn't care less and I lost my deposit and have a damaged credit rating due to them not contributing their share of bills money.

ReputationRep:
    What uni are you at, Northumbria or Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlickeringEmber)
    Good luck with this...I had to put up with this...and worse for a whole year, and as my bedroom had no locks, they'd trash my rool and steal. The landlord couldn't care less and I lost my deposit and have a damaged credit rating due to them not contributing their share of bills money.
    :lolwut: I have not idea why you put up with that for a YEAR??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    :lolwut: I have not idea why you put up with that for a YEAR??!
    The landlord didnt care so when that happens there isnt much you can do, when you sign a contract you are responsible for paying for it all, so while he could have moved out and got a new place he would still have to pay rent on that place i think. It sucks when you have a **** landlord.

ReputationRep:
    Is this first year halls? If I were you, I'd go into the accommodation office and tell them about this, and express your desire to move. I find it strange how you have to sort bills out, as MOST (not all... but most) halls sort this for you, or at least help you out with sorting it. I know with Newcastle that if people drop out, they'll let you know and maybe allow you to change rooms. This happened so one of my friends moved into a room at my halls.

ReputationRep:
    You expect people to be quite at 2am on freshers week? Not going to happen.

The food stealing and burning your pans, that's unfair though.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in uni accommodation it shouldn't be too much trouble to move, as quite a few people will drop out in freshers' week/early on, and you can have their room. Just let the Accommodation Office know. \o/

ReputationRep:
    How about you remove the stick from your ass?

It's freshers week. Chill out a bit.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I don't think uni is for you.

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you OP its not fair that you have to put up with it. I hope I'm not in the same situation as you when I move! All you people tellin OP to chill out are right to a certain extent but they are using her stuff, why would you do that? Oh I forgot its freshers week and that gives people the right to act like selfish ********s..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    All you people tellin OP to chill out are right to a certain extent but they are using her stuff
    wait are we even sure of OP's sex here?

Either way..you could just try until after freshers, see if they settle down? If not then obviously you might have to think about different accommodation, have you signed an annual or term based rent contract, I assume you might have done...will complicate things.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, if you are in uni halls then speak to a halls manager about moving. You should be able to move to another flat if there is a room free or go on a waiting list. If its private accomadation then you might have trouble but some landlords would release you from the contract if you can find someone to take your place.
    Good Luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.