Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, just discovered this forum! I've been playing the piano for quiet a few years, but last year I didn't really have much time to practice due to my A-levels. This year I'm on a gap year and looking to get back into playing, and I would say I'm roughly grade 6, but can play some grade 7 pieces (I've never taken any grades officially, but my nan's been playing and teaching for decades, so I'm not too bad!) I've just come across this piece of music below, and am looking for some artists/pieces similar to this to learn of the standard of grade 6/7. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to have a bit of a browse on youtube but don't really know who to start with! Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOqUFqF_ZwM

ReputationRep:
    hey im about the same level as you although i havent played in a long time
    my favourite piece to play is moonlight sonata, although the third movement is way too tricky for me
    i dont actually have many suggestions atm but ill look downstairs in my familys collection and let you know

what sort of music are you into?

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant choice, Yiruma's music is beautiful..

For a similar artist you could try Ludivico Einaudi, who is of a similar new-age genre. I particularly like 'Nefeli' and 'Le Onde'..

ReputationRep:

It's...around that skill level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamBowden18)
    Brilliant choice, Yiruma's music is beautiful..

For a similar artist you could try Ludivico Einaudi, who is of a similar new-age genre. I particularly like 'Nefeli' and 'Le Onde'..
    Le Onde is good and not too hard :yep: I just started trying to play it today

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for those suggestions; Le Ondo sounds particularly stunning!

(Original post by TGosling1234)
    hey im about the same level as you although i havent played in a long time
    my favourite piece to play is moonlight sonata, although the third movement is way too tricky for me
    i dont actually have many suggestions atm but ill look downstairs in my familys collection and let you know

what sort of music are you into?
    Moonlight Sonata is the one I've been learning most recently; absolutely love it. I have just a small keyboard at home, and when I go round my nan's to play on a proper piano it sounds so gorgeous

Cheers for the quick replies, keep them coming! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'll second Ludovico Einaudi, Bella Note is really nice to play and about the right level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Moonlight Sonata is the one I've been learning most recently; absolutely love it. I have just a small keyboard at home, and when I go round my nan's to play on a proper piano it sounds so gorgeous
    yeahh luckily for me i have a mini grand piano at home, it sounds AMAZING
    although my keyboard when at uni isnt nearly as fun to play hence why ive had a little break

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad Ludivico has a strong following on here

I also recommend one from New Moon which is 'alexandre desplat - new moon (the meadow)'...

it's gorgeous

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad Ludivico has a strong following on here

I also recommend one from New Moon which is 'alexandre desplat - new moon (the meadow)'...

it's gorgeous
    Oooh I definitely agree Thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe the replies on here lol. When I read the first post the first piece of music I was going to recommend was River flows in you, I'm literally in the middle of downloading Yiruma's album because I love that peice so much but then I realised that you'd posted that as your link. My second choice I was then going to say was Einaudi because he has awsome peices that sound similar but everyone has posted Einaudi ! These are obviously very popular choices lol. My favourite Einaudi peices are Le Onde, Nefeli, I Giorni, In un'altra vita I also love Frederic Chopin - Prelude opus 28 no.4 but this is a different stlye to Yiruma and Ludivico

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess1106)
    I can't believe the replies on here lol. When I read the first post the first piece of music I was going to recommend was River flows in you, I'm literally in the middle of downloading Yiruma's album because I love that peice so much but then I realised that you'd posted that as your link. My second choice I was then going to say was Einaudi because he has awsome peices that sound similar but everyone has posted Einaudi ! These are obviously very popular choices lol. My favourite Einaudi peices are Le Onde, Nefeli, I Giorni, In un'altra vita I also love Frederic Chopin - Prelude opus 28 no.4 but this is a different stlye to Yiruma and Ludivico
    Haha sorry about that..

I also about Chopin, I particularly love 'Prelude in E Minor' although most of his music is beautiful..

Have you ever tried any Debussy? Claire de Lune is lovley.. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Hello, just discovered this forum! I've been playing the piano for quiet a few years, but last year I didn't really have much time to practice due to my A-levels. This year I'm on a gap year and looking to get back into playing, and I would say I'm roughly grade 6, but can play some grade 7 pieces (I've never taken any grades officially, but my nan's been playing and teaching for decades, so I'm not too bad!) I've just come across this piece of music below, and am looking for some artists/pieces similar to this to learn of the standard of grade 6/7. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to have a bit of a browse on youtube but don't really know who to start with! Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOqUFqF_ZwM
    ugh why did you have to pick this main stream annoying song that keeps haunting me!!! Want some real songs? Look below!

ReputationRep:
    Haha sorry about that..

I also about Chopin, I particularly love 'Prelude in E Minor' although most of his music is beautiful..

Have you ever tried any Debussy? Claire de Lune is lovley.. :yep:
    Yeah, I totally love that peice, prelude in e minor is one of my favourite peices of music. I don't personally play the piano I just love listening to it. I play guitar though, and I'm trying to find guitar adaptations. They don't always sound as good as the paino. Some peices I prefer on violin as well, like chopins nocturne in C sharp minor.

Clair de lune is lovely, I must admit that I don't know as much Debussy - I know clair de lune and a few others like arabesque.

ReputationRep:
    I fink Yoruma and Eo naudi r the most beautiful musics ive evr heard u shud try them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    I fink Yoruma and Eo naudi r the most beautiful musics ive evr heard u shud try them
    I'm also not a fan of either, but that's a rather flippant way of putting it. I find it quite strange though that Philip Glass is never mentioned in these threads. Unlike the other two I do like his music, but I've wondered what others think of him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    I'm also not a fan of either, but that's a rather flippant way of putting it. I find it quite strange though that Philip Glass is never mentioned in these threads. Unlike the other two I do like his music, but I've wondered what others think of him
    mmmm Phillip Glass
    although music gcse almost killed him

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.