Turn on thread page Beta

need help with writing out chemical formulas! watch

ReputationRep:
    i understand that, for instance, you need one lot of Na (valency +) to balance with Cl (1-) to get a net charge of zero, which is very simple.

But what the heck do i do when i have, for instance, been asked to write out Magnesium Sulphate?, or Ammonium Hydroxide? << these ones are tricky for me because the one of the ions has two letters in it.

Help me out please, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Well, Mg is 2+
    Sulphate, SO4 is 2-

Ammonium Hydroxide is NH4Cl
    NH3 has no charge, so it gains a hydrogen from acid (or water), becoming NH4+, which bonds with Cl-

It's basic periodicity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    i understand that, for instance, you need one lot of Na (valency +) to balance with Cl (1-) to get a net charge of zero, which is very simple.

But what the heck do i do when i have, for instance, been asked to write out Magnesium Sulphate?, or Ammonium Hydroxide? << these ones are tricky for me because the one of the ions has two letters in it.

Help me out please, thank you
    As previous post said, Mg has a valency of (2+) whilst sulphate ion SO4has a valency of (2-) therefore formula of Magnesium Sulphate is:
    MgSO4

Ammonium ion is NH4+, whilst Hydroxide ion is OH- therefore formula of Ammonium Hydroxide is:
    NH4OH (sometimes brackets are often placed around OH)

These valencies will/should be in your data booklet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piszczel)
    Well, Mg is 2+
    Sulphate, SO4 is 2-

Ammonium Hydroxide is NH4Cl
    NH3 has no charge, so it gains a hydrogen from acid (or water), becoming NH4+, which bonds with Cl-

It's basic periodicity
    thanks, i get the idea now. i thought SO4 meant that the valency for the ion was 4+, but it was actually -2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    thanks, i get the idea now. i thought SO4 meant that the valency for the ion was 4+, but it was actually -2
    There are basics that you have to remember, like CN-, OH-, O 2-, H+, NH4+ (note that NH2 isn't -1), SO4 2; the rest of them can be worked out.
    Ask your teacher about periodicity if you're having doubts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 25, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.