The Student Room Group

need help with writing out chemical formulas!

i understand that, for instance, you need one lot of Na (valency +) to balance with Cl (1-) to get a net charge of zero, which is very simple.

But what the heck do i do when i have, for instance, been asked to write out Magnesium Sulphate?, or Ammonium Hydroxide? << these ones are tricky for me because the one of the ions has two letters in it.

Help me out please, thank you
Reply 1
Well, Mg is 2+
Sulphate, SO4 is 2-

Ammonium Hydroxide is NH4Cl
NH3 has no charge, so it gains a hydrogen from acid (or water), becoming NH4+, which bonds with Cl-

It's basic periodicity
ilyking
i understand that, for instance, you need one lot of Na (valency +) to balance with Cl (1-) to get a net charge of zero, which is very simple.

But what the heck do i do when i have, for instance, been asked to write out Magnesium Sulphate?, or Ammonium Hydroxide? << these ones are tricky for me because the one of the ions has two letters in it.

Help me out please, thank you

As previous post said, Mg has a valency of (2+) whilst sulphate ion SO4has a valency of (2-) therefore formula of Magnesium Sulphate is:
MgSO4

Ammonium ion is NH4+, whilst Hydroxide ion is OH- therefore formula of Ammonium Hydroxide is:
NH4OH (sometimes brackets are often placed around OH)

These valencies will/should be in your data booklet! :smile:
Reply 3
piszczel
Well, Mg is 2+
Sulphate, SO4 is 2-

Ammonium Hydroxide is NH4Cl
NH3 has no charge, so it gains a hydrogen from acid (or water), becoming NH4+, which bonds with Cl-

It's basic periodicity

thanks, i get the idea now. i thought SO4 meant that the valency for the ion was 4+, but it was actually -2 :smile:
Reply 4
ilyking
thanks, i get the idea now. i thought SO4 meant that the valency for the ion was 4+, but it was actually -2 :smile:

There are basics that you have to remember, like CN-, OH-, O 2-, H+, NH4+ (note that NH2 isn't -1), SO4 2; the rest of them can be worked out.
Ask your teacher about periodicity if you're having doubts.

Latest