Turn on thread page Beta

how is knowledge/perception gained? watch

ReputationRep:
    When you meet people for the first time, do you judge them?

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't really judge them because then it makes it sound as if you are making definite decisions about them. I think about them and wonder. What kind of attitude does this person have? Is this person interested in what I have to say? Is this person more of a listener or a speaker? Most people do this without even realising. It is just common social thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.To varying extent.

If someone says no, they're lying

ReputationRep:
    OP this is a great question:teeth: (of all the stupid troll posts this week for instance :angry:)

Don´t judge the book by the cover mate.

For example just to use reverse psychology - if you met a stunning girl or say you were at a university/job interview, would you want them to judge you by your looks or first impressions? (anyone can do something out of the ordinary if they are nervous)
    hence I never(almost never) judge people by how they look or after the first time I meet them.

Hope this expands your views!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarsi)
    Well I don't really judge them because then it makes it sound as if you are making definite decisions about them. I think about them and wonder. What kind of attitude does this person have? Is this person interested in what I have to say? Is this person more of a listener or a speaker? Most people do this without even realising. It is just common social thoughts.

why do most do this without realising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yurihammo)
    OP this is a great question:teeth: (of all the stupid troll posts this week for instance :angry:)

For example just to use reverse psychology - if you met a stunning girl or say you were at a university/job interview, would you want them to judge you by your looks or first impressions? (anyone can do something out of the ordinary if they are nervous)
    hence I never(almost never) judge people by how they look or after the first time I meet them.

why is it bad to judge people how they look?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    why do most do this without realising?
    haha. If you don't realise then how are you meant to understand why? I am sure the brain realises in a way it is just that we don't really think much about it. Don't ask me the real reasons why I am no psychologist. hehe you are basically judging me now ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarsi)
    haha. If you don't realise then how are you meant to understand why? I am sure the brain realises in a way it is just that we don't really think much about it. Don't ask me the real reasons why I am no psychologist. hehe you are basically judging me now ^^
    OK, so it's just instinct?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes I do!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes it is!

ReputationRep:
    why is it bad to judge people how they look?
    Because you might miss what they have to offer just because you thought they didnt fit the physical criteria!

Think about it, you might meet a soon to be best friend if you forget that he might look poor, or maybe uglier than you.

Think about it, you might meet a girl thats always worried she looks ugly but in reality she is stunning. Your personality that "doesnt judge by looks" might just win that girl for you :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgieBoy)
    Yes, yes it is!
    But how is it instinct? is there an example of this instinct?

ReputationRep:
    I do, but I have realised over the years that almost all the first impressions I come up with are wrong, so I try not to let it affect my judgement

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure, haha, you are one curious guy (I don't mean that in a weird way, I mean that in a good way). ^^

ReputationRep:
    Of course. I always judge people. When I first see someone, so many thoughts run through my mind - involuntarily, I stress - that a few seconds after, I become confused as to how my mind processed such a large load without my permission. It tends to be the strangest and most imperceptible details too. I was updating my phone contract earlier today and while the cashier was doing till-work, I immediately clocked that he hadn't buttoned his shirt properly.

This then became ---> he's tired ---> job prospects at Carphone warehouse ----> does he have a girlfriend? ----> will he see her? ---> I hope he has a nice family.

All within in a few seconds.

That's the first phase at least. The second phase begins when they open their mouth and that is where some of my initial preconceptions become misconceptions or simple facts.

Then, there's the third stage when I ask myself if I'm willing to overlook my judgements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I do, but I have realised over the years that almost all the first impressions I come up with are wrong, so I try not to let it affect my judgement
    why are they wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Because you might miss what they have to offer just because you thought they didnt fit the physical criteria!

Think about it, you might meet a soon to be best friend if you forget that he might look poor, or maybe uglier than you.

Think about it, you might meet a girl thats always worried she looks ugly but in reality she is stunning. Your personality that "doesnt judge by looks" might just win that girl for you :teeth:
    Most people judge on looks though.

ReputationRep:

I don't think that's what reverse psychology is but otherwise this is truth.

ReputationRep:
    I do by what they wearing.

ReputationRep:
    1. Why do you ask one question in your thread title, then ask a completely different question in your post?

2. Why are you obsessed with judging, social groups and social ranking? Just look at how many threads you create on ultimately the same topic. Do you not think you should just get over it? You are dedicating your life to very narrow and shallow obsessions.

3. Why are you so concerned with 'perception'? Do you still believe you have a 'perceptual disorder'?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.