Turn on thread page Beta

how is knowledge/perception gained? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    When you meet people for the first time, do you judge them?
    Perceptions and first impressions of people tend to occur within a very short period of meeting them.

Maybe its to do with development in the EEA. Those who were able to make snap judgements about others, animals and places were better adapted to survive (ie immediatley dismissing a potential mate or immediatley identifying a hostile enemy).

Not really relevant now and a bit of a pain considering most of the things we judge people on are ********, but you can still correct a wronged impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    1. Why do you ask one question in your thread title, then ask a completely different question in your post?

2. Why are you obsessed with judging, social groups and social ranking? Just look at how many threads you create on ultimately the same topic. Do you not think you should just get over it? You are dedicating your life to very narrow and shallow obsessions.

3. Why are you so concerned with 'perception'? Do you still believe you
    have a 'perceptual disorder'?
    most younger people judge others.

ReputationRep:
    most younger people judge others.
    You failed to address any of my questions. Try again.

ReputationRep:
    You failed to address any of my questions. Try again.
    There is no reason for the disconnect in the title.

And human beings naturally judge others and have ranks.

And I think that perception is natural, which is why I ask.

ReputationRep:
    And I think that perception is natural, which is why I ask.
    As opposed to what? Supernatural?

ReputationRep:
    As opposed to what? Supernatural?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    What then?

ReputationRep:
    I want to know how perception is gained.

ReputationRep:
    I want to know how perception is gained.
    What do you mean by perception?

ReputationRep:
    to sense things.

ReputationRep:
    to sense things.
    In what way?

Perception is essentially low level physiology via sight, smell, touch etc. Perception is paying attention to a stimulus, whether it be the sound of my TV behind me or the car driving past my window.

Unless you have some sort of disability (e.g. you are blind), then you have just as much perception as everyone else.

What do you mean by perception and to 'sense things'. Do you mean like a ******* jedi? What are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    In what way?

Perception is essentially low level physiology via sight, smell, touch etc. Perception is paying attention to a stimulus, whether it be the sound of my TV behind me or the car driving past my window.

Unless you have some sort of disability (e.g. you are blind), then you have just as much perception as everyone else.

What do you mean by perception and to 'sense things'. Do you mean like a ******* jedi? What are you on about?
    sense other people.

ReputationRep:
    sense other people.
    Use your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Use your eyes.
    I want to sense whether I like them instantly or not.

ReputationRep:
    I want to sense whether I like them instantly or not.
    Why would you need to do that? Thats grounds for a very lonely life.

In addition, peoples personalities are complex and variable depending on time and situation. To judge them instantly would almost certainly be premature and inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    When you meet people for the first time, do you judge them?
    To be honest, who doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to do that? Thats grounds for a very lonely life.

In addition, peoples personalities are complex and variable depending on time and situation. To judge them instantly would almost certainly be premature and inaccurate.
    But nearly everybody does it.

ReputationRep:
    But nearly everybody does it.
    I disagree.

I feel that most people realise the true nature of personality and how variable and intricate it can be. Subsequently they are well aware of the fact that an initial judgement would be inaccurate and would inevitably result in a striking off of every single person they met. As a result, people put aside their prejudgements and act tolerantly and spend a significant period of time with other people before they 'decide'.

Why are you so keen on judging people as fast as possible? Surprisingly, you can't always categorise people into 'like' and 'dislike'. I have friends of many years whom, on occasion, I dislike and other times I like.

What you are doing is unhealthy and is going to result in a very sad life.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

I feel that most people realise the true nature of personality and how variable and intricate it can be. Subsequently they are well aware of the fact that an initial judgement would be inaccurate and would inevitably result in a striking off of every single person they met. As a result, people put aside their prejudgements and act tolerantly and spend a significant period of time with other people before they 'decide'.

Why are you so keen on judging people as fast as possible? Surprisingly, you can't always categorise people into 'like' and 'dislike'. I have friends of many years whom, on occasion, I dislike and other times I like.

What you are doing is unhealthy and is going to result in a very sad life.
    But most people do it.

ReputationRep:
    But most people do it.
    Most people are capable of looking past first judgements.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.