Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skypig97)
    I haven't heard which college, but I applied to Chad's so I imagine I'll hear next week . . . I am planning to visit for Open Day in March.

4 subjects is a lot? Did you do that many last year? Where are you from? I live in America.
    I technically did 6 last year, 1 module of each. It is a lot, but I love the variety, and this year I've picked modules that go well together (eg my history module is about Native Americans, and I also learn about Native American cultures in my anthropology module).

I'm from England, I guess the degree seems pretty natural to you because so many American universities offer liberal arts/major-minor degrees?

Definitely go to the open days if you can, they're an amazing experience and you really get a feel for Durham even though it's just two days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I technically did 6 last year, 1 module of each. It is a lot, but I love the variety, and this year I've picked modules that go well together (eg my history module is about Native Americans, and I also learn about Native American cultures in my anthropology module).

I'm from England, I guess the degree seems pretty natural to you because so many American universities offer liberal arts/major-minor degrees?

Definitely go to the open days if you can, they're an amazing experience and you really get a feel for Durham even though it's just two days!
    which college are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyboy1993)
    I got one a couple of weeks before Christmas. Then about a week and a half later I got Castle confirmed
    Congratz on Castle, mate! :bumps:

You must be ecstatic! What's your firm/ insurance besides Cambridge?

ReputationRep:

The degree is appealing b/c I want to study Classics and English Lit--some unis offer joint honours, but Durham's Combined offers even more flexibility to structure the degree exactly how I want.

Do you do a lot of tutorials or is it more lectures and seminars?

Is Durham close to your home or is the NE a completely new experience for you?

ReputationRep:
    The degree is appealing b/c I want to study Classics and English Lit--some unis offer joint honours, but Durham's Combined offers even more flexibility to structure the degree exactly how I want.

Do you do a lot of tutorials or is it more lectures and seminars?

Is Durham close to your home or is the NE a completely new experience for you?
    The flexibility of Combined is great, I've ended up doing completely different subjects and modules from what I originally wrote on my ucas form, so I'm really glad I didn't do a single honours degree!

The amount of contact time varies depending on your modules, I think for English and Classics you'll have 10-12 hours a week on average - you can look up how much you'll have for each modules (6 modules per year) at www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Congratz on Castle, mate! :bumps:

You must be ecstatic! What's your firm/ insurance besides Cambridge?
    Thanks, I was so happy, it's such a nice college

I have no idea yet, I'll decide after I hear back from Cambridge. I'm going to open days, but it's probably between Imperial and Durham

I'm sure you'll hear from them soon, they're probably waiting until the UCAS deadline, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay_mart1)
    Really sorry for being ignorant but i don't know how your grading system translates in terms of A levels
    I am predicted 3 A at alevel
    Oh and don't get me started on the LNAT...nightmare!!
    Where abouts are you from?
    what Webber said is roughly what my grade is in terms of A levels
    I know... the LNAT was just plain irratating... and so long to get the freaking results! I have friends applying for medicine.. and they got their UKCAT results straight away:mad: my essay was really bad

I'm originally from South Africa, but been living in Portugal for the last couple of years to do the IB and then my family and I are moving to England for good next year

and you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stafford1992)
    nah i havn't heard anything either,
    soz about oxford btw, my friend got a rejection too and he really should have got in,
    hae you got any idea what durham's LNAT cut off point is?

THanks... I was pretty gutted but what can you do and sorry for your friend, it really sucks when you have a strong application and think you should get in... I didn't even get to interview... so I felt like loserX2 the next few weeks at school (especially when a friend got an interview to Cambridge but she did deserve it)

Sorry, no clue about the LNAT.. as far as I know there is no 'official' cut off.. but obviously durham is pretty competitive, so the higher your score is the better. But a strong application might make up for a bad LNAT score. (but thats me just guessing.. I'm really no expert)

ReputationRep:
    Woo a whole 1 module! haha, I guess that the compulsory modules are chosen to be the ones which relate to each other though, you'll probably be doing the physics-y maths modules (if there are any!)
    Ye, I think they will make sure there is not too much overlap where topics are repeated but it should be OK. Whats the flexibility like in your course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttynatz)
    what Webber said is roughly what my grade is in terms of A levels
    I know... the LNAT was just plain irratating... and so long to get the freaking results! I have friends applying for medicine.. and they got their UKCAT results straight away:mad: my essay was really bad

I'm originally from South Africa, but been living in Portugal for the last couple of years to do the IB and then my family and I are moving to England for good next year

and you?
    I know same. I don't see why they don't just give us our results on the day! To bo honest, even if i have the result, i wouldn't know what is good!
    I'm English born and English bred but i have quite a bit of family in France
    And your grades are fantastic, absolutely amazing - 6A's!!! Super well done
    What does your AES say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    40 points = 652 ucas points = slightly more than 6 As at A Level
    Universities dont really recognise that though - i do the ib too and its suuuper frustrating
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukethePianoMan)
    Ye, I think they will make sure there is not too much overlap where topics are repeated but it should be OK. Whats the flexibility like in your course?
    Really great, I did 6 subjects last year and I'm doing 4 this year - there are far fewer prerequisites for social sciences and arts so I'm really lucky. I doubt there'll be huge overlaps with yours, probably just seeing different ways to approach a problem, and how to prove things which you take for granted in the other subject.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if transferring to St.Johns is possible? I got moved to Cuths because Chads was full but would really really prefer St.Johns.
    Is it a popular college?
    Oh and congrats to everyone getting offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocks:))
    Does anyone know if transferring to St.Johns is possible? I got moved to Cuths because Chads was full but would really really prefer St.Johns.
    Is it a popular college?
    It seems unlikely, but I can't imagine asking would do any harm. You may want to approach St John's and see if you can talk them into working on your behalf.

What subject are you planning to study? Are you going up for the Open Days?

ReputationRep:
    Congratz on everyone having offers here. Durham is a awesome University.

Feel free to ask me questions, especially on the following in which I have direct experience:

St Cuthberts Society (although Ive visited every College except for the ones in Queenss.
    Ethnic Diversity
    Durham Rowing at both University and College Level
    SIFE
    Ultimate Frisbee/ST Johns Ambulance
    Wing Chun
    Break Dancing/INSTEP/BALADS
    Debating/Durham Union
    Social Scene
    Housing (Im the Livers Out Officer)
    Natural Sciences - esp. in Biology, Geography and Business

=)

ReputationRep:
    In the vast majority of cases, the progress of an application to a college on our AES will indicate that an application has been successful, but there are exceptions to this.
    ^from durham AES^

so am i very likely to receive an offer now that my application has been received?

and what are the exceptions?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocks:))
    Is it a popular college?
    Its difficult to transfer but its a strong College, plus you have two sites, I suggest Bailey since its literally next to Johns and Chads.
    We have a excellent Rugby and Rowing squad, as well as fantastic formals and drama!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay_mart1)
    I know same. I don't see why they don't just give us our results on the day! To bo honest, even if i have the result, i wouldn't know what is good!
    I'm English born and English bred but i have quite a bit of family in France
    And your grades are fantastic, absolutely amazing - 6A's!!! Super well done
    What does your AES say?
    Thanks I just hope I get them in the exams Three A's is brilliant as well though!

AES says:

•Your application has been received by the Department
    •Your application has not yet been received by a College

and has said that since October.! So irratating.. the aes just makes me worse.. now im checking my email and that all the time and it never changes!!

What does yours say?? It doesn't really tell you much about your application

ReputationRep:
    It seems unlikely, but I can't imagine asking would do any harm. You may want to approach St John's and see if you can talk them into working on your behalf.

What subject are you planning to study? Are you going up for the Open Days?
    Geology, and yeh I'm planning to go to the open day. I just feel that Cuths is massive and It'll be really hard to fit in....oohh I'm just getting paranoid now :rolleyes: Somebody reassure me!
    I might send a short e-mail off to them esquiring, part of me wants to wait till after the open day because I want to give Cuths a chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stafford1992)
    nah i havn't heard anything either,
    soz about oxford btw, my friend got a rejection too and he really should have got in,
    hae you got any idea what durham's LNAT cut off point is?
    In the past Durham rejected people with a 20 and below (obviously with exception). This was when it was out of 30. So now its probably somewhere between a 26-29 cutoff. Just a guess though.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.