Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Big up oxbridge rejectees at Durham 2011
    Yay

ReputationRep:
    I am very disheartened to see so many people glad to be able to say it is a rejects' university. You cannot delve for obscure historical reasons for Durham to have a one-up against Oxbridge. It doesn't. We all have to live with the fact we will not be the best. We are nearly there, but the degree is not as good, and it earns a massively less amount of respect than the other two.

I am pleased to have an offer for there this year, and I am an Oxford reject. I was bitterly disappointed to not get in, but I understand that it was never a given.

I am tremendously excited about going to Durham, but for the love of god, please noone make any more comparisons to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    I am very disheartened to see so many people glad to be able to say it is a rejects' university. You cannot delve for obscure historical reasons for Durham to have a one-up against Oxbridge. It doesn't. We all have to live with the fact we will not be the best. We are nearly there, but the degree is not as good, and it earns a massively less amount of respect than the other two.

I am pleased to have an offer for there this year, and I am an Oxford reject. I was bitterly disappointed to not get in, but I understand that it was never a given.

I am tremendously excited about going to Durham, but for the love of god, please noone make any more comparisons to Oxbridge.
    I'm really sorry you didn't get in
    I don't think anyone intended for you or any of the other applicants to feel disheartened.
    I was merely giving my own perspective on the situation as someone not getting in to Oxford but I understand if it was really your first choice for you to not really feel the same way.
    I just wanted to express my excitement about durham and i think the whole thing about 'the rejects' university is really more about 'we're all in the same boat so lets try and make the best of an unfortunate situation', rather than we're ok going to a less reputable university.
    I'm sorry consider it dropped.

Congratulations on Durham and hopefully other universities. Where else have you applied and for what?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an offer for Theoretical Physics yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    that was speedy!! :O I got my offer before christmas and I still havent heard about the college.. they've forgotten about me lol.
    I want to send an email as a little reminder but I know they'll be SUPER busy now so I don't know what good it'd do.
    Did you hear by post? I live overseas so I was hoping they'd send an email but my inbox is empty *sigh*..
    I guess if I irritate them by sending an email they can't legally take back my offer :P

congrats again!
    Check the "useful links" on AES. Your college will appear there before you get the letter. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering why people were talking so much about Durham until I realised that this was the Durham applicants thread and not the Cambridge pool thread. Since Cambridge has rejected me this could well end up being my firm. Anyone else applied here for Chemistry?

ReputationRep:

I would just like to point out that the most intelligent/well qualified people in the world are almost always NOT the richest and most successful (apparently psychology uni modules on intelligence will tell you this). Getting on in life involves so many factors besides intelligence. Life is what you make it. I know lots of people with an oxbridge degree who didn't do anything great with their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    Check the "useful links" on AES. Your college will appear there before you get the letter. Good luck!
    yea, thanks I've been checking that religiously but it still only says 'Colleges' rather than a specific one.
    Thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:

Jesus, that was one of the most negative things I have ever read in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Saw people talking about AES. I hadn't heard of it before. I haven't got a PIN (or an offer!) How do you get one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helkat11)
    Saw people talking about AES. I hadn't heard of it before. I haven't got a PIN (or an offer!) How do you get one?
    They email it to you after you apply so you can track your application.

ReputationRep:

This is slightly inconsiderate to those who are still even waiting on offers from Durham, as is it to those who have recieved rejections. Why such a desire for reputation and being respected, what are you trying to prove? Wherever the University, you have to do the work yourself, the Uni isn't going to do the degree for you. Ox-who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_m)
    Hell yeah! Yeah I've got an offer for Grey (originally applied to Hatfield), where's yours for? That's a bit cheeky though, Durham aren't meant to know if you've applied to Oxbridge... Sneaky. You going on the open day? (Also, silent discos are awesome)

EDIT: just reading the comments, I think being at a university with Oxbridge rejects is nothing to be ashamed of.. Durham FTW
    Aww, you got moved, but Grey is meant to be a very good college. I have got into St Marys, which sounds good, apart from the fact I might have to share a room for a term
    It would be gutting if you didn't get the Oxford grades but would've got the Durham grades!
    Yeah silent discos, they would be a bit awkward though!
    As long as we aren't known as the Oxbridge reject uni, it will be OK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    lol yea well Durham has had that reputation for a while but I knew I wanted to go here before I decided to apply to Oxford. I also knew I would've been far more upset not getting into Durham than Oxford. I thought I might be a little bitter but I'm really really not
    What I love, even though we ARE oxbridge rejects, is that we took a shot, didnt get it, but that we're bright/interesting/whatever enough to be viable candidates.
    Just because we might not be able to play chess QUITE as well as the people that did get in, we'll make up for that in other ways in a university which I believe will give us a better 'uni experience'
    I've become so loyal about a university I haven't even gone to yet, lol
    Ye I got pooled which showed I had something, even though it wasn't enough, so hopefully I can be one of the smarter people in Durham and maybe aim for a first! And I hope I have a better experience too. I like Durham because it is in colleges which improves the social aspect, though I liked the tutorial system at Cambridge which we won't get at Durham, but we still get seminars which are similar I suppsoe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeV123)
    Learning from scratch, school didn't do it at A-Level. Did yours? applying to Hatfield, how about you?

Had a mad mad panic (like so many other people it would seem today) about AES changing to "A decision has been made" in a rejection-esque fashion! But luckily now it's changed back.. so I have the chance to be rejected again (officially) now it's the deadline!

But I hope not, as Durham is one of my nicest unis. Applying to Bristol, Exeter, Bath, Leeds, and have offers from the latter three. Where are you applying?
    we were allowed to take ab-initio at AS, so we did the GCSE in a year and this year i'm doing the whole A level (terrifying :eek:!)
    i got accepted into St Hild and St Bede, good luck for hatfield! it's got to be a good sign to have gone back to college
    i'm also applying to leeds, birmingham, warwick and bristol, have offers from first 3 and waiting to hear back from bristol

ReputationRep:

I am sorry you are disheartened--very sorry. Durham is awesome. I don't know yet whether I will go to Durham, but if I do (and no matter where I choose to go) I have every intention of being the 'best'! And I fully expect the students there with me will have the same outlook. If they don't, then I will be disheartened.

Oxford and Cambridge have no lock on the best, brightest or most successful--they simply have prestige that is rivaled by only 2-3 other universities in the world. And I think there is something to that prestige, rooted in the institution's teaching and research that perpetuates and grows its success over time.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=GMDS;29398069]
    (Original post by NotManyExperts)
    You can demonstrate academic potential in ways other than exam results, as Durham clearly feel. Don't be foolish enough to believe that getting 4A*s makes you academically superior to all of the other applicants!

If stories like this show anything, it's simply that many departments within Durham don't simply choose the applicants with the best A level or GCSE results, I'm sure that these are used to distinguish borderline candidates, but as they quite openly reiterate, the personal statement is very important

Wow thanks! Perhaps I forgot to mention in my personal statement my position as a Captain of school, my work experience with top theare directors, having written scripts for the BBC ( radio, broadcast 2008) having played Olivia, Ophelia and Puck in school plays, working with children in Thailand, raising money for victims of Genocide, working at an international boarding school teaching English in The Netherlands... cba to defend myself much more. Clearly I havent been living in a cave with my books.
    You don't want Durham love, you want an OBE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukethePianoMan)
    Ye I got pooled which showed I had something, even though it wasn't enough, so hopefully I can be one of the smarter people in Durham and maybe aim for a first! And I hope I have a better experience too. I like Durham because it is in colleges which improves the social aspect, though I liked the tutorial system at Cambridge which we won't get at Durham, but we still get seminars which are similar I suppsoe
    Yea, I mean, I love Durham for so many reasons that it made me feel really conflicted with the Oxford application.
    So in lots of ways I'm relieved. This isnt the end, I've already found a Postgrad course at Oxford which I really like the sound of.
    In my opinion, its more important to do a masters somewhere with a crazy international reputation, particularly as im 98% sure ill go on to do more degrees.
    If I manage to do well in my first degree hopefully I'll strive for either Ivy League or Oxbridge again but I'm quite content now.
    More than that, I'm ecstatic. Meeting people and joining lots of societies are so so important to me in my first degree in addition to the important academics.
    It sucks to be rejected and I know how you feel about the tutorial system but I feel theres a lot in the pro column for somewhere a bit more 'fun' (which of course is very largely opinion based) which can't be later achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukethePianoMan)
    Aww, you got moved, but Grey is meant to be a very good college. I have got into St Marys, which sounds good, apart from the fact I might have to share a room for a term
    It would be gutting if you didn't get the Oxford grades but would've got the Durham grades!
    Yeah silent discos, they would be a bit awkward though!
    As long as we aren't known as the Oxbridge reject uni, it will be OK!
    Yeah I've decided I like Grey I think Mary's looks like one of the nicest of the hill colleges, and I might have to share for a term not - rather not, but I'd deal with it Dude, silent discos aren't actually silent, everyone listens to music on their ipods or mp3 players you get given so everyone has the same songs! So you're not dancing to silence, that would be awkward To be honest, halfway through pooling I was thinking 'if by some miracle I actually get an offer from Cambridge, I'll be really sad I don't get to go to Durham'.. So I know I'll be happy there, hopefully the open day will be good

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=GMDS;29398069]
    (Original post by NotManyExperts)
    You can demonstrate academic potential in ways other than exam results, as Durham clearly feel. Don't be foolish enough to believe that getting 4A*s makes you academically superior to all of the other applicants!

If stories like this show anything, it's simply that many departments within Durham don't simply choose the applicants with the best A level or GCSE results, I'm sure that these are used to distinguish borderline candidates, but as they quite openly reiterate, the personal statement is very important

Wow thanks! Perhaps I forgot to mention in my personal statement my position as a Captain of school, my work experience with top theare directors, having written scripts for the BBC ( radio, broadcast 2008) having played Olivia, Ophelia and Puck in school plays, working with children in Thailand, raising money for victims of Genocide, working at an international boarding school teaching English in The Netherlands... cba to defend myself much more. Clearly I havent been living in a cave with my books.
    This is actually borderline hilarious. So, so many sarcastic comments spring to mind. I shall try to be mature. You're right though, you haven't been living in a cave with your books, but 1) perhaps that would have been the correct thing to do to receive an offer from Durham and 2) you seem to have been living in a fairly insular cave without realising that there are, like, other homosapiens who also happen to be applying for the same course as you, and they also may have spent their teenage years engaging in activities apart from the stereotype of awkward sex and casual drug abuse. There's also the question of how relevant to your course the admissions staff found your altruistic activities - we'll never know, that's something that only they will be able to tell you. Your application was obviously very impressive, it's just not what they were looking for (apparently). I felt the same last year, and just had to get over it, and not arrogantly believe that I was owed a place by the university. Perhaps there are just applicants out there who are even better qualified in the university's opinion. It's a fairly population-dense country. Lots of people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.