Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vekeh)
    Oh, I'm just a really fussy eater I'm vegetarian and I try to avoid the most obvious byproducts (gelatin and such), which I guess would be fairly easy for the colleges to deal with buuut I eat the same thing everyday, as I don't really like many foods
    So you don't need self-catered, just want it

You eat the same thing every day?! Doesn't that get a bit boring? :confused:

There's a vegetarian option for lunch and dinner, or if you eat lunch at the science site/student union there are always vegetarian sandwich options. There's also a salad bar at college lunch and dinner, so you could have salad and soup and a bread roll. They have jacket potatoes, bread rolls and fillings for lunch too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_m)
    Sorry about that :hugs: Sure you'll hear from Durham soon though, it's finally past the 15th and things can start moving I got my letter from Tit Hall yesterday (five days late I might add), and seeing as I already knew what it would say it was a bit of kick while I'm down Oh well, their loss (of both of us). If I remember rightly you were the person who liked Peep Show too - watch that, always cheers me up Or Black Books, which is so, so good
    Pretty annoyed that the person who they took from the pool instead (from Emma) had by his own account pretty poor interviews, whereas I felt mine went well. :mad: Graah. If I don't get Durham (or St Andrews) I'll be so gutted. I pray that that doesn't happen though. Did they email you? My letter came today but I found out on track on Friday, I thought it might be St Andrews or Exeter .

Yeaah! Peep show! No new episodes though . What is Grey like compared to Hatfield?(Now you've appropriated it)

ReputationRep:
    AES finally changed:
    "•Your application has been received by a College
    •A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details"

Does this mean that I still don't have an offer for certain? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca-x)
    AES finally changed:
    •A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details"

Not certain unless on UCAS, but looking very positive - very likely. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Applied and got an offer at Collingwood.
    Samesies, what did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix101)
    Pretty annoyed that the person who they took from the pool instead (from Emma) had by his own account pretty poor interviews, whereas I felt mine went well. :mad: Graah. If I don't get Durham (or St Andrews) I'll be so gutted. I pray that that doesn't happen though. Did they email you? My letter came today but I found out on track on Friday, I thought it might be St Andrews or Exeter .

Yeaah! Peep show! No new episodes though . What is Grey like compared to Hatfield?(Now you've appropriated it)
    Eesh, I think I'd be a bit bitter about that I'm sure you'll get at least one of them, if not both.. If you did get both which would you firm? Yeah I got an email about a week ago now I think..
    That happened to my friend actually, she didn't check her track update thinking it was her bad news arrived from Oxford, but it was an offer from Durham! Track seems a bit of a harsh way to tell someone, but what can you do..
    Grey is reeeally different to Hatfield, on the Hill not the Bailey, quite modern (but still has gowns and formal hall which I like).. Looks really nice actually, would still rather be in an older one but what can you do Less chance of having to share a room now so that's a plus If you were moved, where would you want to be moved to? (I can recommend Grey )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    Not certain unless on UCAS, but looking very positive - very likely. Good luck!
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_m)
    Eesh, I think I'd be a bit bitter about that I'm sure you'll get at least one of them, if not both.. If you did get both which would you firm? Yeah I got an email about a week ago now I think..
    That happened to my friend actually, she didn't check her track update thinking it was her bad news arrived from Oxford, but it was an offer from Durham! Track seems a bit of a harsh way to tell someone, but what can you do..
    Grey is reeeally different to Hatfield, on the Hill not the Bailey, quite modern (but still has gowns and formal hall which I like).. Looks really nice actually, would still rather be in an older one but what can you do Less chance of having to share a room now so that's a plus If you were moved, where would you want to be moved to? (I can recommend Grey )
    Durham for sure I think. Bill Bryson is the chancellor after all . Indeed, I was all excited for a moment, then...damn. Oh well. Nothing I can do now anyway.

Nice that you still get the gowns and formals , I'd want that too. I don't really mind the whole sharing thing. I think it could be really quite good fun actually. But then I didn't get all the fuss about en-suites in places either, soo :dontknow:. Erm well castle obviously . But realistically, either Trevs or John's I think. Though I have't really checked the others out much. With this whole offer holders day thing...how does that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca-x)
    AES finally changed:

Looks positive What did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Mmm a fussy eater? Those qualities sound a bit familiar to me as something else, but I wont make any immediate judgements or assumptions. All I can say is if you do get an offer from Durham that isn't self-catered, try very hard not to turn it down for that reason, as I'm sure at some stage your eating will become a lot broader and wider and you don't want to look back and regret.
    I don't have an eating problem, if that's what you're trying to imply :rolleyes:

(Original post by angelmxxx)
    So you don't need self-catered, just want it

You eat the same thing every day?! Doesn't that get a bit boring? :confused:

There's a vegetarian option for lunch and dinner, or if you eat lunch at the science site/student union there are always vegetarian sandwich options. There's also a salad bar at college lunch and dinner, so you could have salad and soup and a bread roll. They have jacket potatoes, bread rolls and fillings for lunch too.
    I effectively need it! And no, not boring. I know what I like so I stick to it :dontknow: Since you sound you're at Durham do the kitchens have hobs/ovens and whatnot if they're catered, or is just a limited fridge and micorwave thing?

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional off for Engineering at Van Mildert (currently on a Year in Industry so I have already done my A Levels)

so excited for next October Anyone else going to Mildert?

ReputationRep:
    That's *******s. (Sorry to prevent your rubbing in faces.) Every year they give out offers to a lot of people who also got Oxbridge offers (Durham can't see that they've applied to Oxbridge), and reject some people who get Oxbridge offers, and accept some people who get Oxbridge rejections, and ever...shockingly!...give out offers to people who haven't applied to Oxbridge.

Since Durham don't interview, they have to look at the personal statements much more than Oxbridge do...so obviously have different views on applicants, and select different people.

But they can't tell where anyone's applied until the applicant has firm/insuranced/declined/been rejected by all their universities.

There's no conspiracy, just be happy you've got into Durham!
    Ah OK, I just heard it from someone, and I know one of my Oxford offer friends got a rejection from Durham a few days later. I know about how other universities aren't meant to see who has applied to where.
    Ye I'll be happy I've got into Durham, my personal statement worked!
    Well done to everyone else who has got offers too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vekeh)
    I don't have an eating problem, if that's what you're trying to imply :rolleyes:

I effectively need it! And no, not boring. I know what I like so I stick to it :dontknow: Since you sound you're at Durham do the kitchens have hobs/ovens and whatnot if they're catered, or is just a limited fridge and micorwave thing?
    I am at Durham
    My college kitchen last year (2 per corridor) had a fridge, microwave, sink, kettle, toaster and one of these type things (but bigger, with four hobs):

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...text%3EHOB.htm

which is basically an over with hobs on top, so you can cook oven food and also boil pasta, cook pancakes, etc

The only thing it didn't have was a freezer, but if you want to eat ice cream you can just buy it and eat it that afternoon!

What do you eat every day then? (I'm not trying to be nosey, just work out if colleges will serve that food!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    Yea I'm part of a few choirs now, a Chamber and a Madrigal one but they tend to be quite religious. And while singing the Messiah and stuff is fun, I really can't relate to any of it. I'm hoping to maybe get involved in musicals -- I have an unhealthy obsession with theatre, particularly musicals.
    What sort of music do you want to play?

Wow, so you've already signed yourself up for a masters before you've done your undergrad?? how does that work? Or are you just doing a 4 year course?

MUN stands for Model United Nations, its essentially coming up with resolutions within individual committees. So for example when I went to the Paris MUN I was the delegate for Austria in the Disarmament Committee, I'm not from Austria, it was just one of the countries my school was assigned.
    Its really fun and I know you can do it at University level because my brother does it at Edinburgh.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of choirs in Durham for you to enjoy, and I'm sure there will be plenty of musicals too. I'm not really building much repertoire at the moment, but its mostly classical stuff I play on piano and with my trombone teacher, she is just giving me loads of trombone bits from symphonies to sight read, I'll have a look at what to do once these January exams are out the way!
    I also like playing a bit of Muse on piano too which is quite fun, though the parts aren't that challenging!
    Ye I signed up for the 4 year MSci course which means I think the fees will stay at £3500 for my 4th year which is useful.
    Wow, that sounds like pretty high level stuff, lets hope you can carry on with that at Durham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukethePianoMan)
    Ah OK, I just heard it from someone, and I know one of my Oxford offer friends got a rejection from Durham a few days later. I know about how other universities aren't meant to see who has applied to where.
    Ye I'll be happy I've got into Durham, my personal statement worked!
    Well done to everyone else who has got offers too
    There are always rumours, and when unis could see where everyone had applied (people used to have to rank them on ucas when they applied), it was probably true.

Definitely not true now though, a lot of the time Durham and Oxbridge pick the same people, but obviously for most subjects Oxbridge is more competitive so a lot of people get rejected from there but get into Durham....a significant number of people get into Oxbridge and not Durham though, probably because Oxbridge have entrance tests and interviews, and their courses are pretty different for some subjects.

Durham's much better anyway, a lot more clarity on what courses involve...and we have a castle! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Looks positive What did you apply for?
    MPhys I've been waiting to hear since October, hope I get a letter soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_m)
    Yeah I'm kinda thinking the same thing, but I'll probably end up going in case I suddenly decide I hate it and firm somewhere else (hopefully Exeter if I get an offer).. Open day looks good though, looks like they do stuff like a pub quiz and going out in Durham and then departmental stuff the next day. Thank god I'll be 18 by then I agree about the hassle though, I'm in London so it's pretty far, although I have a friend who will probably go on the open day too so might go up on the train with her. 2 days of school though, not sure my teachers'll be pleased I think the main reason to go is to meet people you'll be living with for the next three years before you actually start in October
    That sounds pretty fun actually, and I'll be 18 by then too, though I don't want to get too embarrasingly drunk! There is freshers week for meeting everyone, as the train fares are pretty costly too, £80 for you too i presume, on top of the £30 accomodation fees.
    I was talking to someone who goes to a different university (you don't want to know where ) but he said at the Durham open day he had the time of his life! The open day sounds like a very good experience but I think I'll save the money and catch up work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watchthis)
    Samesies, what did you apply for?
    Chemistry MChem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix101)
    Durham for sure I think. Bill Bryson is the chancellor after all . Indeed, I was all excited for a moment, then...damn. Oh well. Nothing I can do now anyway.

Nice that you still get the gowns and formals , I'd want that too. I don't really mind the whole sharing thing. I think it could be really quite good fun actually. But then I didn't get all the fuss about en-suites in places either, soo :dontknow:. Erm well castle obviously . But realistically, either Trevs or John's I think. Though I have't really checked the others out much. With this whole offer holders day thing...how does that work?
    I think sharing would be alright too, but I think the thing that would annoy me would be if I was with someone who had completely different music taste... And nah, I couldn't afford an en-suite even if I wanted one so not too bothered about that.
    Trevs looks so so nice, bit weird but I like the idea of having a big hexagonal landing between all the rooms The offers holders day is on the 22nd/23rd March. Basically, you can go up on one of those days, stay the night in college (where they have a pub quiz and then go for a night out in Durham) then the next morning go do departmental open day stuff You don't have to stay the night actually, but I probably would, too far to come from London for a 10am start or whatever it is...

(Original post by LukethePianoMan)
    That sounds pretty fun actually, and I'll be 18 by then too, though I don't want to get too embarrasingly drunk! There is freshers week for meeting everyone, as the train fares are pretty costly too, £80 for you too i presume, on top of the £30 accomodation fees.
    I was talking to someone who goes to a different university (you don't want to know where ) but he said at the Durham open day he had the time of his life! The open day sounds like a very good experience but I think I'll save the money and catch up work
    Jeeeesus £80 is insane, I checked a couple of days ago on what the train fares would be to Durham if I booked soonish and they were about £20 each way with a railcard.. Last time I booked a week before and it was £40 each way with a railcard, so I've learned my lesson
    I think I probably will go against my better judgement.. Hopefully there'll be plenty of other people at Grey and it won't just be like 5 of us :s Anyway, I don't do embarrassingly drunk - I'm known as a good drunk, I do cheerful and a less awkward version of myself, which is always fun to be

ReputationRep:
    I am at Durham
    My college kitchen last year (2 per corridor) had a fridge, microwave, sink, kettle, toaster and one of these type things (but bigger, with four hobs):

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...text%3EHOB.htm

which is basically an over with hobs on top, so you can cook oven food and also boil pasta, cook pancakes, etc

The only thing it didn't have was a freezer, but if you want to eat ice cream you can just buy it and eat it that afternoon!

What do you eat every day then? (I'm not trying to be nosey, just work out if colleges will serve that food!!)
    Ah, I need a hob, so maybe not all is lost. I have toast for breakfast and lunch, and for tea I have cheese on toast (I like toast, in case you couldn't tell), pasta, an apple, and occassionally dessert. There are other foods that I don't mind, but I couldn't eat them everyday...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.