The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cadence
Engineering at Collingwood (probably ... still persuadable). Also applying to Oxford (like that's going to happen), but I do love Durham, and tbh I'm not sure if I'd just rather go there.

exactly the same with me... but id rather oxford. will you let me know if you get a reply?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 261
Original post by cpdavis
Maths at Grey :grin:

History at Grey! :biggrin: We have three of the same choices - that's pretty strange :tongue:
Does anybody know when durham tend to hand out offers for physics?
Reply 263
Original post by Fat-Love

Any time up until the March deadline.
Original post by EDW1N
Law at University College for me :smile:

Me too!
Maths @ Josephine Butler (=

Other choices: Warwick, Bath, Notts, Exeter
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by LukethePianoMan
ah ok, fair enough
i just picked to get an idea of what i would do
ye the level one modules are year one only
for year 2, u will see a prerequisites but, those are the modules you have to do before to do that module
so there are foundation modules when u want to progress

The modules I'm most interested are compulsory anyway so I'm alright there. Really looking forwards to Core Maths A and Core maths B1, Elements of Economics and the World Economy, and then haven't decided on which other modules I'd like to do yet! Might take two philosophy ones, but I've never done philosophy before!
Original post by Jing_jing
The modules I'm most interested are compulsory anyway so I'm alright there. Really looking forwards to Core Maths A and Core maths B1, Elements of Economics and the World Economy, and then haven't decided on which other modules I'd like to do yet! Might take two philosophy ones, but I've never done philosophy before!

ah wow, ur sorted then! im not sure what to do besides the foundation modules tbf, but i know i wanna do maths and physics
ah wow, ur sorted then! im not sure what to do besides the foundation modules tbf, but i know i wanna do maths and physics

The maths modules look really interesting actually! Really want to have a go at some of the pure maths modules in year 2, they look so good! Think I might avoid any modules with mechanics in though! I'm sure that it'll be easier to decide once you get there!
Reply 269
History at St.Mary's! :biggrin: I doubt i'll get an offer though due to my GCSE's (A*A*A*AAAAABBB)..I heard that Durham's History dept are GCSE Nazi's :frown:
The maths modules look really interesting actually! Really want to have a go at some of the pure maths modules in year 2, they look so good! Think I might avoid any modules with mechanics in though! I'm sure that it'll be easier to decide once you get there!

ye i think so too. which maths modules have mechanics in? i could only find mechanics in foundation physics where it isnt covered in too much detail
and ye, hopefully it will be easier to decide :biggrin:
ye i think so too. which maths modules have mechanics in? i could only find mechanics in foundation physics where it isnt covered in too much detail
and ye, hopefully it will be easier to decide :biggrin:

Core Mathematics B2 has quite a lot of mechanics in

wow a fellow maths and philosophy lover. I am still a little worried about how Durham read the personal statements for natural sciences. I am not really a scientist but i wanted to take maths and philosophy and this seemed the only way to do it at Durham. Do you think they will take into account that these are the only subjects i want to study, and that i haven't taken biology or chemistry post 16?
Which college have you applied for, tbh you are more likely to get a place looking at your grades (good luck, and i will look out for you there, if i make it that is :tongue:)
Original post by Wedgely
History at St.Mary's! :biggrin: I doubt i'll get an offer though due to my GCSE's (A*A*A*AAAAABBB)..I heard that Durham's History dept are GCSE Nazi's :frown:

sorry, but u spelt acknowledged wrong...
Core Mathematics B2 has quite a lot of mechanics in

is core B2 actually needed for anything?
Original post by allbritishgirl
wow a fellow maths and philosophy lover. I am still a little worried about how Durham read the personal statements for natural sciences. I am not really a scientist but i wanted to take maths and philosophy and this seemed the only way to do it at Durham. Do you think they will take into account that these are the only subjects i want to study, and that i haven't taken biology or chemistry post 16?
Which college have you applied for, tbh you are more likely to get a place looking at your grades (good luck, and i will look out for you there, if i make it that is :tongue:)

I.LOVE.YOUR.AVATAR! I really really want that cartoon on a T shirt but I need to coerce my friend to draw the cartoon out for me as I don't like how it's drawn that much on the internet 8D
I've never tried philosophy before but it sounds so interesting! You can only do that as a module in R.S which I didn't even take at GCSE, so I love the flexibility the course gives!

I'm worried about the PS too, as I wasn't even planning on applying to Durham and switched from Nottingham to Durham about 2 weeks before the two week deadline for changing your options, so the PS I wrote is in no way, shape or form tailored to Durham! I just wrote about how much I liked Mathematics and Economics so yours will probably be fine! They did just say that they wanted you to express an interest in more than one subject! I've applied to Castle, it's so beautiful! What about you?

is core B2 actually needed for anything?

Not sure, I don't think so but it does have a lot of stuff like Newton's laws in if you like that sort of thing!
Does anyone know when they schedule interviews for if they choose to interview
I've applied to Castle, it's so beautiful! What about you?

i only started RS this year as an extra cos i found it really interesting. Um I'm applying to hatfield, looked really pretty and fun. I hope my PS is ok then :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Sit tight :wink:
Original post by SmileyGurl13
Maths @ Josephine Butler (=

Other choices: Warwick, Bath, Notts, Exeter

I've got very similar choices to you :smile: Only real difference is that I'm applying for physics :tongue: