Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got rejected by Durham for Economics and Politics (LL12)!!

IB Prediction: 40

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e.lau16)
    WELL DONE!! what course did u apply for? I applied for hatfield too but havent heard anything yet when did u apply?
    I applied early October and I got my offer just before Christmas - there was a fee status hoop I had to jump through which I think slowed down the application process.
    Have you heard about your actual offer yet and you're just waiting to hear from Hatfield or have you not heard about anything?
    I applied for Anthropology, what about you?

Good luck on your offer/hatfield!

ReputationRep:
    woo unconditional offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shyam Devani)
    Anyone offers for PPE? Or know when they start to come out?

I had my offer before Christmas Holidays and today I got my letter from the College!

(Original post by number69)
    I got an offer from Durham for PPE three months ago
    Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Downbutup)
    I just got rejected by Durham for Economics and Politics (LL12)!!

IB Prediction: 40
    I'm so sorry what were your highers and gcse results? that's really weird but than again the application process is dodgy i know people with 45 predictions that get rejections from many subjects..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotManyExperts)
    Anybody non-international heard from Durham for History, yet? I think I may have just got the shock of my life/given up hope having just looked at the Entry Standards for Durham for History, according to The Times' Good University Guide 2011 (which, coincidentally, places Durham second for History, above Oxford for the second year running). It's an average of the UCAS Tariff scores of the A and AS levels of first year students there - and the average for Durham is 510. To put that in perspective - if you got 3 A*s at A-level and an A at AS level (according to my use of the UCAS tariff table which I really, really hope is incorrect), you would be left with "just" 480 tariff points. Less than the average at Durham? So if you got 4 A*s at A-level, you would exceed the average standard by a fair amount, but seeing as this is an average, it would seem that many people do reach that standard. 4 A's at A-level would leave you with 480 points - again, short of the Durham average. I'm not saying that Durham do these calculations and look at their average to work out who to give offers to (it seems unlikely, but then again, it is possible - we know so little about their applications system), so I just hope that this high average is a symptom of the high calibre of student that Durham gives offers to for History, and is not a conscious effort by the department to only give offers to the applicants who have done the most A-levels.

Quite paranoid, as you can tell. And I do not quite reach 510... so at least now a rejection would be far more expected and therefore painless! Headed to Bristol, by the looks of things.

At least I now have practice in over-analysing statistics, this could definitely come in useful during my History degree. Cannot wait.
    I'm not international and I have have an offer for history, but I have to say, do not pay any attention to Times Good Uni Guide UCAS points stats. They freaked me out too (I have no extra curriculars that get you points), but few unis ask for UCAS points anymore (especially not ones the standard of Durham), so if you're predicted grades that match or go beyond their standard offer you stand as much of a chance as anyone. Supposedly the history department are GCSE nazis but they're not going to reject strong applicants for that reason alone. Basically, my point is, whether you're doing 4 a levels or not, or how many UCAS points you supposedly have is probably not the only thing they look at... I doubt many people have 510 or whatever the ridiculous number the guide says, so don't worry Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Finally!
    Conditional for economics!!

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't heard anything!! The suspense is killing me!!! Hahaa

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody still not heard anything for modern languages? And any idea when we should hear? :confused:x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubberdam123)
    Finally!
    Conditional for economics!!
    OMG Well done!!!!!!!! I still havn't heard the suspense is killing me! What were your a level subjects and gcse grades if you dont mind me asking and are you an international? Congrats again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlsdbk)
    I'm so sorry what were your highers and gcse results? that's really weird but than again the application process is dodgy i know people with 45 predictions that get rejections from many subjects..
    Highers : History, Economics, Maths

GCSEs: 3A*, 4As, 4Bs

ReputationRep:
    come on durham, tell me my future!!

ReputationRep:
    Highers : History, Economics, Maths

GCSEs: 3A*, 4As, 4Bs
    Im guessing you're not an international student.. what was your IB prediction? I've applied to i hope it goes well.. but good luck with you other unis have you heard from any others and where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    seriously starting to think Durham have forgotton me ... Sent my application on the 14 October and haven't heard a peep out of them except a letter they had recieved my application about 4 days later ... at least Warwick sent me a little xmas greeting saying that I was still under consideration ... c'mon durham!!! You're killing me here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttynatz)
    seriously starting to think Durham have forgotton me ... Sent my application on the 14 October and haven't heard a peep out of them except a letter they had recieved my application about 4 days later ... at least Warwick sent me a little xmas greeting saying that I was still under consideration ... c'mon durham!!! You're killing me here!
    What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    What are you applying for?
    Law:eek:... and I know its quiete competitive to get in there... but I reeeealllly love durham!.. and I also hate waiting so really its not a good combination

Have you heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlsdbk)
    Im guessing you're not an international student.. what was your IB prediction? I've applied to i hope it goes well.. but good luck with you other unis have you heard from any others and where did you apply?
    No im not..

IB Prediction was a 40.

Ive only heard from my safety, Southampton (offer 34). I still have to hear from York, Warwick and Bristol.

I really thought that Durham would offer me. Guess i didnt meet their standards..

ReputationRep:
    No im not..

IB Prediction was a 40.

Ive only heard from my safety, Southampton (offer 34). I still have to hear from York, Warwick and Bristol.

I really thought that Durham would offer me. Guess i didnt meet their standards..
    Thats really unfortunate I do the IB too and I know how much work involves being predicted 40.
    What subject were you applying for?

Goodluck with your other universities - I love York and Warwick and only didn't apply there because they didn't offer my course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    Thats really unfortunate I do the IB too and I know how much work involves being predicted 40.
    What subject were you applying for?

Goodluck with your other universities - I love York and Warwick and only didn't apply there because they didn't offer my course!
    Thanks..

I was applying for Economics and Politics (LL12)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttynatz)
    Law:eek:... and I know its quiete competitive to get in there... but I reeeealllly love durham!.. and I also hate waiting so really its not a good combination

Have you heard anything?
    Which college did you go for? I'm sure it'll be worth the wait if you get an offer

I heard reasonably soon, got an offer for engineering and I've been accepted at Collingwood. I think I'm lucky that engineering isn't majorly competitive

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.