Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kay_mart1
Awwwwww it's ok :smile:
Next choice is Newcastle
They rejected me yesterday...on my birthday!!!! So cruel :redface:
Good luck with your application...hope they like you more than they did me!:biggrin:
I'm not sure how to find out why i was rejected...do you know if they tell you why?? :colondollar:

Newcastle is really nice.. I was tempted to apply there but chose Exeter instead because it was warmer:biggrin: But my cousin is there ans absolutly loves it!

That was just plain mean:mad:... but happy Birthday:biggrin: and I hope next year's one is better!

Thankyou so much and good luck with the rest of yours... Newcastle is awesome!
I think if you just email them asking for feedback that should be okay.. I did that with Oxford and they replied with a really nice email. Yeah just email them and ask... besides, you don't have to worry about irratating them now!:biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I still haven't heard anything, so is it more likely that it will be a rejection now than an offer?
I'm resigned to the fact it's going to be a rejection as they seem to have given most offers out :frown:
Original post by Amy124
I was gonna apply to Warwick then discovered for my the flights and travelling home would be quite awkward. Yeah tbh the main reason I applied to Exeter was because it looked lovely and sunny :P (and the great Law dept too of course). Ah Oxford, who needs them, plus they make you do all your exams in your 3rd year-way too much pressure! Well NI, so best of both worlds, although their application system is so complicated compared to ucas (: Have you been to visit durham?

Yeah, I don't know what I feel about Warwick, its a really nice uni, great law department and stuff just not sure its for me. I think I prefer Exeter.

NI, haha, my whole family lives in Belfast, I'm over there most holidays :biggrin: Haven't been to Durham yet, I'm currently living in Portugal, so working out flights can be a little bit tricky.. If I get an offer I'll probably try and make it up there for a couple of days, but since I don't have one yet, I really don't want to visit, fall in love with it and then be crushed by a rejection- this way at least I don't know what I'm missing :wink:

Have you?
Reply 3043
Original post by Olivia1234
I still haven't heard anything, so is it more likely that it will be a rejection now than an offer?
I'm resigned to the fact it's going to be a rejection as they seem to have given most offers out :frown:

Relaaaax, they have they until May 6th! Just try to forget about it, they might get back to you sooner than you think :smile:
Original post by Amy124
haha i know, i heard my college news the day before one of my modules so that was quite distracting :P Thanks, you're 99% in aswell, although i get that until you hear on UCAS it isn't really proper (: law and yourself?

Ohh no, that's bad timing! Haha, but at least you knew you had something to aim for!
I hope so... :P I just want an offer to come through, otherwise it will bug me for ages.
History and French :smile:
Reply 3045
Original post by spocckka
Has anyone else got an offer who is from Northern Ireland?

I am still waiting.
Original post by nuttynatz
me to! :smile:.. sent my application on 14 October and did the LNAT on the 12 October, and have heard nothing! Have you heard from anyone else?

I've got an offer from Bangor which is my insurance BBC, got my heart set on Durham though!
Suppose no news is good news for the time being! :wink:
Reply 3047
Yeah, I don't know what I feel about Warwick, its a really nice uni, great law department and stuff just not sure its for me. I think I prefer Exeter.

NI, haha, my whole family lives in Belfast, I'm over there most holidays :biggrin: Haven't been to Durham yet, I'm currently living in Portugal, so working out flights can be a little bit tricky.. If I get an offer I'll probably try and make it up there for a couple of days, but since I don't have one yet, I really don't want to visit, fall in love with it and then be crushed by a rejection- this way at least I don't know what I'm missing :wink:

Have you?

Yeah when I visited Warwick it downpoured, wasn't great :tongue: Haha, yeah I go to school in Belfast but basically live in a field (: Wow portugal, sounds nice, are you studying there then? Yeah, I went to the Law open day in August and loved it. Although was slightly intimidated by the number of rahs. :smile:
Original post by Amy124
Yeah when I visited Warwick it downpoured, wasn't great :tongue: Haha, yeah I go to school in Belfast but basically live in a field (: Wow portugal, sounds nice, are you studying there then? Yeah, I went to the Law open day in August and loved it. Although was slightly intimidated by the number of rahs. :smile:

Yeah, I'm at a British school doing the IB:smile:.. haha, yeah I have heard Durham's reputation for that, though I was on the student union website and they seemed to be having a good joke about the whole thing :biggrin:
Reply 3049
Original post by kay_mart1
Today is a sad day...Durham don't want me :frown:

indeed . . . where else have you applied?
Reply 3050
" Your application has been received by a college"

Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 3051
Original post by blackpot
" Your application has been received by a college"

Fingers crossed :smile:

same here! Mine changed on thursday...i wonder how long till we get an offer through?
Original post by ben788
I am still waiting.

What/where have you applied?
Anybody applied for combined honours in English & History?
Reply 3054
Got an email yesterday from NatSci director, saying that he couldn't give me an offer for Biology with Chemistry as a second subject, but if I got back to him within a week, he'd "be happy to fast-track your [my] application". All the Chemistry places are full, apparently.

So, it sort of sounds both good and bad - I'll probably get an offer, but now I have to choose something other than Chemistry. On that subject, do any current/prospective/offer-holding NatSci people know if it's possible to combine a science with a language in the first year, doing a 3:3 or 4:2 split?
Reply 3055
Original post by Rilel
Got an email yesterday from NatSci director, saying that he couldn't give me an offer for Biology with Chemistry as a second subject, but if I got back to him within a week, he'd "be happy to fast-track your [my] application". All the Chemistry places are full, apparently.

So, it sort of sounds both good and bad - I'll probably get an offer, but now I have to choose something other than Chemistry. On that subject, do any current/prospective/offer-holding NatSci people know if it's possible to combine a science with a language in the first year, doing a 3:3 or 4:2 split?

Same thing for me, only I was going to Biology, Chemistry and Maths originally, so now I'll probably just do Biology and Maths. It may be more helpful to post your question about what you can combine in the general Durham forum as present students aren't particularly likely to be commenting on this thread. It seems from the prospectus, that as long as you do at least half of your subjects from mainstream Natural Sciences subjects (Biology for example), you can do some other course offered in Durham city with it as long as it is compatible in the timetable.
Yeah, I'm at a British school doing the IB:smile:.. haha, yeah I have heard Durham's reputation for that, though I was on the student union website and they seemed to be having a good joke about the whole thing :biggrin:

oo! I'm at a British school doing the IB in Rome :smile: *high-five*

Which course and college?
Reply 3057
Original post by rebeccap
Same thing for me, only I was going to Biology, Chemistry and Maths originally, so now I'll probably just do Biology and Maths. It may be more helpful to post your question about what you can combine in the general Durham forum as present students aren't particularly likely to be commenting on this thread. It seems from the prospectus, that as long as you do at least half of your subjects from mainstream Natural Sciences subjects (Biology for example), you can do some other course offered in Durham city with it as long as it is compatible in the timetable.

Thanks for the advice. =]

I emailed him back asking a similar question, so I should hopefully get some clafirication soon.
Original post by Rilel

Hi, I know a bit about NatSci and can navigate the NatSci website ok usually so PM me and I'll try and work out which combinations you can do.

(Quick answer - language yes in principle, but it depends if you did it at A-level or want to start a new language, and you'd have to do some more cultural modules (ie French literature or something) as I don't think there are 3 pure language modules. However if there are only three language modules, there's a reasonably high chance that you will have a clash, so you'd have to do a module in something else too, or do 4:2.)

Also if you do a language at level 3 (year 3 modules), you'll have to do a year abroad so you will do year 1, year 2, year abroad (marks don't count but you have to do a presentation or oral test or something when you get back to show you haven't just sat around for a year), then you do third year modules in year 4.

Useful links: Biology in NatSci - http://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/prospective/subjects/biol/

Have you considered taking an anthropology module? There's a 1st year Biological Anthropology module which might really interest you since you seem to be interested in biology and languages/cultures. - http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_description/?module_code=ANTH1071

Language modules: http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/r000.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by skypig97
indeed . . . where else have you applied?

Warwick, Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester :smile: