Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kninja)
    Congrats! Well done. Your first offer from your first choice - great stuff. You did well to keep sane in the meantime though - respect!
    Haha thank you! i went from no offers and feeling unwanted to an offer from my favourite uni it was soo amazing! what subject did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlsdbk)
    I applied to nottingham, york, durham, leeds and sussex definitely firming durham i love it good luck with your applications.. but i would choose durham i just love it your choice though!
    Ooh nice
    I know what you mean, I think I'd like the actual city more than I would London, I like little, old traditional cities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffanie)
    Haha, I was like that, my parents laughed at me because I got so excited
    You'll get to get all excited all over again when you get your email as well
    Are you going to the open day?
    UCAS kept on sending me spam emails when i was already so anxious about getting an offer!

my parents didnt even care when i told them i'd got into durham :'(

ReputationRep:
    Ooh nice
    I know what you mean, I think I'd like the actual city more than I would London, I like little, old traditional cities
    Me too! and newcastle is 15mins by train so we can go there if we want a city night whilst also having the traditional Durham!! i'm so excited just need to get the grades now haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    UCAS kept on sending me spam emails when i was already so anxious about getting an offer!

I feel your pain with UCAS emails, I keep seeing "UCAS" and getting all excited and then seeing it's about some competition or questionnaire :sigh:
    My parents were a little bit excited, but I think that's just because I'm the last to leave home and they want me as close as possible to spy on me
    Which course?

ReputationRep:
    Me too! and newcastle is 15mins by train so we can go there if we want a city night whilst also having the traditional Durham!! i'm so excited just need to get the grades now haha
    Exactly
    I'm glad I have that bit out of the way now, much more relaxing

ReputationRep:
    Exactly
    I'm glad I have that bit out of the way now, much more relaxing
    yep well done again.. hope everything goes well..

ReputationRep:
    yep well done again.. hope everything goes well..
    You too
    I shall see you on the open day haha

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain with UCAS emails, I keep seeing "UCAS" and getting all excited and then seeing it's about some competition or questionnaire :sigh:
    My parents were a little bit excited, but I think that's just because I'm the last to leave home and they want me as close as possible to spy on me
    Which course?
    haha im 20 i should have gone two years ago, you can imagine how relieved i am to almost be out the house! im going as far away as possible from london hahha

biologyyy, still waiting to hear from st andrews and then i can choose between that and durhammm
    both are poshypoo universities unfortunately :P do you like posh peoplee?

ReputationRep:
    haha im 20 i should have gone two years ago, you can imagine how relieved i am to almost be out the house! im going as far away as possible from london hahha

biologyyy, still waiting to hear from st andrews and then i can choose between that and durhammm
    both are poshypoo universities unfortunately :P do you like posh peoplee?
    I'll be nearly 20 when I start, I'm worried people will think I'm old hahah.
    St Andrews is verry posh, not posh enough to do law though
    Not that I'd really want to go any further north than I already am anyway!
    My friends think I have snobby uni choices aha, I didn't think they were that bad
    Which Durham college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttynatz)
    From Johannesburg I know that basically every south african living abroad is from there... but hey, I'm not a very original person I love it there, just such a shame coz of the crime otherwise it would be the best country in the world .. but still it is definitly somewhere worth visiting (and I'm not saying that coz I'm from there, it really is stunning, and the people are so friendly!)

Wow... you really are an international child.. you could put the UN to shame can understand why you're confused about your identity... still, being Australian is as good as any to be, they have an awesome accent and kangaroos what 9 year old wouldn't want to be aussie

Yeah, I think it did because I'm pretty sure you didn't apply for law. TBH, I love old traditional things (especially the whole gown at dinner thing- I don't know why but it seems really cool! I'm strange I know) and so I knew I wanted to be in a Bailey College, and I chose Hatfield because it seemed to tick all the boxes, There wasn't one that I just didn't like, but Hatfield seemed to have a really nice atmosphere, I know its pretty oversubscribed but I thought I would take my chances. It was a pretty tough descision though tehy were all so great!, but Durham as a uni seems so nice, so I know I'll be happy wherever I end up (if I end up there)

Why did you?
    I think a friend was from Cape Town but I think other than that.. yea all Johannesburg
    Haha, yea aussies have a great accent but so do south africans! I swear, any antipidean accent would be amazing. Instead I'm stuck with a rather awkward us/uk hybrid (though I'm sure it'll just sound American when I'm living in the uk cuz its the opposite when i go to the states).

Lol, its funny that you mentioned the UN in that way because its actually the reason I moved around so much.

I know what you mean about the gowns and stuff!! I think I'll really enjoy all the traditions and what-not. Once I'd decided to apply for Anthropology and saw it was on the science site, I decided I wanted to be in a College that wasn't on the Hill. Not because I didn't like the hill colleges, but because I wanted a reason to be in both areas every day (though I'm sure I'll hate myself for that on cold winter mornings). Then I looked at all the colleges and I immedietely didn't consider castle because I knew my chances were so slim, plus I wanted to live in the castle and that was unlikely. Then St Johns and St Chads seemed too small plus, even if its just the stereotype, I didn't like the idea of going to the 'christian college', though it seemed lovely. A bit shallow, I know
    I can't really remember why i crossed cuth's off my list.. I think it was because so much of the accomodation was scattered.
    Then Hatfield just seemed perfect. It was medium-sized, traditional, reputation for being quite rambunctious, beautiful buildings. Also, I realised that it was the college that I'd walked passed when I was visiting Durham and thought "ooo! this is preeety!" and then i got 2 feet down through the gate and lost my nerve so I quickly hurried out again.. I don't know why, but it felt like a good sign that I felt so awed by it and I had such an immediete positive reaction. Lol, that's probably just me searching for serendipity.
    My brother's an architect so recently I've really begun to appreciate buildings far more , and I'm totally in love with the Cathedral. No jokes, I want to study in the cloisters!!
    I'm very aware of Hatfield's reputation, but I've spoken to friends that've been at durham for 2/3 years and they've reassured me that apart from a repression of a giggle when people tell them they're from Hatfield, its really just a traditional joke and isn't a big deal.

What kind of law are you hoping to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    I think a friend was from Cape Town but I think other than that.. yea all Johannesburg
    Haha, yea aussies have a great accent but so do south africans! I swear, any antipidean accent would be amazing. Instead I'm stuck with a rather awkward us/uk hybrid (though I'm sure it'll just sound American when I'm living in the uk cuz its the opposite when i go to the states).

Lol, its funny that you mentioned the UN in that way because its actually the reason I moved around so much.

I know what you mean about the gowns and stuff!! I think I'll really enjoy all the traditions and what-not. Once I'd decided to apply for Anthropology and saw it was on the science site, I decided I wanted to be in a College that wasn't on the Hill. Not because I didn't like the hill colleges, but because I wanted a reason to be in both areas every day (though I'm sure I'll hate myself for that on cold winter mornings). Then I looked at all the colleges and I immedietely didn't consider castle because I knew my chances were so slim, plus I wanted to live in the castle and that was unlikely. Then St Johns and St Chads seemed too small plus, even if its just the stereotype, I didn't like the idea of going to the 'christian college', though it seemed lovely. A bit shallow, I know
    I can't really remember why i crossed cuth's off my list.. I think it was because so much of the accomodation was scattered.
    Then Hatfield just seemed perfect. It was medium-sized, traditional, reputation for being quite rambunctious, beautiful buildings. Also, I realised that it was the college that I'd walked passed when I was visiting Durham and thought "ooo! this is preeety!" and then i got 2 feet down through the gate and lost my nerve so I quickly hurried out again.. I don't know why, but it felt like a good sign that I felt so awed by it and I had such an immediete positive reaction. Lol, that's probably just me searching for serendipity.
    My brother's an architect so recently I've really begun to appreciate buildings far more , and I'm totally in love with the Cathedral. No jokes, I want to study in the cloisters!!
    I'm very aware of Hatfield's reputation, but I've spoken to friends that've been at durham for 2/3 years and they've reassured me that apart from a repression of a giggle when people tell them they're from Hatfield, its really just a traditional joke and isn't a big deal.

What kind of law are you hoping to do?
    lol... at least you will stick out in a crowd of english accents. I think I'm losing my accent slightly.. being taught by english people all day has its affects and I've been comming out with some really english sayings lately.. ah well

So do your parents work for the UN?.. Thats really cool, I mean the moving around must be irratating at times but then again, not many people can say they've lived in loads of different countries plus, you get to meet some really interesting people

So glad that there are other people who like the traditional stuff.. most of my friends think I'm strange I understand what you mean by the cathedral, it looks stunning in the photos I've seen- lol, it'll just be nice to wake up and enjoy the scenary around you, its a good start to the day! I don't know why but I was never that into Castle, I mean its really awesome, and living in a castle would certainly be an experience but I really liked Hatfield from the beginning. haha.. yes I have heard of it's reputation- also a bit of a 'rah' college I believe, but from what I hear its all stereotype so I'm not worried, just a bit of college rivalry (which is one of the things I love about Durham) and a good conversation starter

Don't really know what type of law yet. Really interested in human and international law and I did my work experience in a family law firm which was super interesting, but tbh I don't know too much about the other types of law apart from a little background reading so just going to see when I get to uni and see if I change my mind:rolleyes: I think at this point anything would be a nice break from the IB

Anthropology sounds like a really interesting subject though... lol.. I watch the programme Bones- i know its a tv programme, but the actual study of human behaviour sounds really interesting. Are you doing pure anthropolody or combined honours?

ReputationRep:

Some parents need lessons. Getting into Durham is a fantastic achievement! Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia1234)
    I haven't heard for modern languages either! I applied to do french and spanish, which did you two apply for?
    Thank goodness for that- we're all in the same boat then! It's hard not to get frustrated with the whole waiting game thing! I've also applied for french and spanish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rilel)
    Similar for me - Chem was my second subject, so that's now been changed to German. Once you've let them know, you should get moved to a college pretty quickly, assuming you haven't already - I sent off my email on Saturday, got a reply on Monday, and got sent to a college today. =]

It looks like there's quite a bit of Chem in the Biology modules, assuming you want to do the Cell stuff, as opposed to whole organisms.
    Yeah, I haven't got an email reply but checking the aes thing, it's on to recieved by college, so just waiting to hear from them and find out what college I get in to. Is Durham your first choice? You are applying to super similar choices to me (Cambridge reject, Durham, Nottingham, Bath)
    Maybe I'll see you in October if we both get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    Some parents need lessons. Getting into Durham is a fantastic achievement! Well done!
    haha thankyou hows your ucas going?

i just realised its weird putting xs on TSR :|

ReputationRep:
    I'll be nearly 20 when I start, I'm worried people will think I'm old hahah.
    St Andrews is verry posh, not posh enough to do law though
    Not that I'd really want to go any further north than I already am anyway!
    My friends think I have snobby uni choices aha, I didn't think they were that bad
    Which Durham college?
    van mildert..not much in common there haha, whats wrong with north? ive always wanted to move up there like londons amazing to visit, but soo hard to meet people
    do you have the same accent as cheryl cole?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clozzanozza)
    yaaaay theology
    i want an offer!
    where have you applied? (college obviously :P)

ReputationRep:
    van mildert..not much in common there haha, whats wrong with north? ive always wanted to move up there like londons amazing to visit, but soo hard to meet people
    do you have the same accent as cheryl cole?
    I've got an offer from Van Mildert. Might see you there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    Isn't it amazing how people only notice the parts of your accent that isn't like theirs? You have to just go along with it sometimes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.