The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3300
Original post by Hnk2401
Posh in terms of gowns and formals etc or posh in terms of people who go there?
I heard that it's one of the party colleges like Collingwood.
I chose St Aidan's as my preference because I had no idea how to choose between them all.

Posh as in snobby boring people, because durham does have that reputation, which could put me off and make me choose manchester.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3301
Original post by FallenProject
Have you been allocated to Josephine Butler, but want to change?

If you have a good reason to want to swap, email them at [email protected]

Yeah, you can ask to swap but you have to ring up the college first and see if it's a plausible option. I didn't go to JB as it was self catered, and miles away from the Theology Dept.

Oh no i have an offer but haven't been allocated yet.. i was just wandering :smile: so they said yes and let you pick or... ? :smile: thanks!
Reply 3302
Original post by njs
Any modern languages applicants heard anything from Durham yet? :smile:

No and it's getting tedious- applied for German you?
Original post by Taverner
Hopefully going to visit in on the 21st of march, i had no preferance of college so looks pretty good to me! Hopefully not too posh. :s-smilie:

weird... im going on 22nd to stay overnight!
Original post by Hnk2401
Posh in terms of gowns and formals etc or posh in terms of people who go there?
I heard that it's one of the party colleges like Collingwood.
I chose St Aidan's as my preference because I had no idea how to choose between them all.

Is that true?
Original post by spocckka
Is that true?

My friends brother was in collingwood and from what I heard he had a... lively social life :tongue:
I hope it is anyway, partly (well, wholly) why I chose it :wink:
Original post by webber8345
Yea, my dad worked for the UN but he retired a few years ago which is why we moved to Rome since my mum went to highschool here.
Yea, I've really loved moving around and this is the longest I've been in one place and I'm beginning to feel that.. I'm looking forward to moving, not because I don't like it here, but because I miss being new and in a new place.
It was sad saying goodbye to friends but when you're younger its easy to make new friends, plus in an international community everyone's moving around all the time so its easy to adapt.

Yea I love the college rivalry about Durham too, it just adds to the whole experience! :smile:

Haha yea, I mention Anthropology and quite a few people mention Bones. I've never seen it but I got quite sick of CSI after a while so I don't know how much I'd like it.
I remember I was having dinner with this guy and it came up what I wanted to do, and he was like, "oo, anthropology like in the nanny diaries!" and its like.. um.. no. lol

Yea, I guess while you're studying it you'll begin to figure out more and more what you're interested in, so even if you have only a vague idea of what you're interested in, its good you don't have to decide because you'll have the time to explore the discipline.

Amen about the IB.. I didn't understand in year 12 how much worse year 13 would be. All the people in the year above were like, "just you wait till next year" and I was thinking, "yea, yea..." but now I'm like.. omfg!
Just a few more months and then freedom!!

Sounds like you got the travel bug!:biggrin:.. no I've had fun living in three different countries... it makes for some really good stories to tell :biggrin: True about the international community thing, but at my school most of them are portuguese and have been there all their lives, there's only a couple of international students, so you're really interesting when you come to my school if you're from abroad:biggrin:

haha.. you should try bones... its got a lot more humour than CSI:biggrin:

Same here, last year all the year 13's were telling me, you're gonna suffer next year and I was just like keep quiet.. but now I'm doing the exact same to my year 12's:tongue: The one piece of advice I always give them, do your extended essay in the summer!:smile: and now the stress is really turning up- orals and TOK essay next week and then TOK presentations and more orals after that!:eek: Still on 19 May I will be free forever (my last exam is biology :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 3307
Original post by Misha 938

arent you going on the 21st, staying the night then going home on the 22nd? thats what the letter said. :smile:
arent you going on the 21st, staying the night then going home on the 22nd? thats what the letter said. :smile:

Nope :/ my one says 22-23 weird huh?
Reply 3309
Nope :/ my one says 22-23 weird huh?

Ahh no my bad, you can choose either. Where do we stay the night? in student rooms?
Original post by mlsdbk
Oh no i have an offer but haven't been allocated yet.. i was just wandering :smile: so they said yes and let you pick or... ? :smile: thanks!

*wondering. (sorry, i just can't help it ;D)

They said they would look, then they told me the colleges that could offer me a place. I then chose.

:biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3311

Is this also Aidan's? I'm staying over on the 22nd too :biggrin:
Reply 3312
*wondering. (sorry, i just can't help it ;D)

They said they would look, then they told me the colleges that could offer me a place. I then chose.

:biggrin:

Haha true :smile:.. cheers.. i'm just so happy about the offer i have forgotten how to spell :smile:
Original post by mlsdbk
Haha true :smile:.. cheers.. i'm just so happy about the offer i have forgotten how to spell :smile:

Ha, well I suppose I can't blame you.

What college did you apply for?
Posh as in snobby boring people, because durham does have that reputation, which could put me off and make me choose manchester.

This would be the stupidest reason to pick Manchester over Durham.

1) Just because somebody has money doesn't mean they're boring.
2) You think that Manchester won't have anybody like that?
3) Unless you're going into front-end retail/non-profit volunteer jobs, you're going to encounter people with different personalities/socio-economic classes....it makes no sense to pick a uni to avoid these situations.
4) Any uni that has grade requirements above ABB is going to have some amount of "posh" kids.
5) Who cares? You're at uni for academics. You'll meet people that share common interests with you, you don't have to be friends with everybody.
6) To a degree, having varying amounts of socioeconomic classes/personalities within a classroom enhances the academic environment. It adds a new perspective. If you went to a uni with only boring, poor people...what type of classroom discussions are going to come out of that?
7) It is just a reputation. You're going to make a decision that's going to effect the next 50+ years of your life, based off of rumored reputation?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3315
Ha, well I suppose I can't blame you.

What college did you apply for?

open application :smile: i love durham so i didn't really mind! really want to know my college now :smile: for economics.. you? subject and college? :smile:
Original post by mlsdbk
open application :smile: i love durham so i didn't really mind! really want to know my college now :smile: for economics.. you? subject and college? :smile:

I ended up choosing St Chad's, after an open application put me into Joseph Butler, for Theology.

The brilliant thing is that St Chad's is about 100m away from the Theology Department!
Reply 3317
I ended up choosing St Chad's, after an open application put me into Joseph Butler, for Theology.

The brilliant thing is that St Chad's is about 100m away from the Theology Department!

same i did an open.. but we'll see i guess.. i'll go to the open day when i will get a better idea of the colleges.. then if i really don't like where i get i'll have evidence to support it and beg haha! anyway i hope i like where i get.. tbh i'm grateful i have durham :smile: but then again i really wouldn't like to self-cater i got butler.. why did you do an open app?
haha, she's pretty but massively overrated.
Yus I do :smile: I only took my test in the summer though, so my first winter of driving would of course have to have been the year where Durham got 583957395feet of snow
I survived though, it's all good :biggrin:
Original post by adam0311

Original post by adam0311

6) To a degree, having varying amounts of socioeconomic classes/personalities within a classroom enhances the academic environment. It adds a new perspective. If you went to a uni with only boring, poor people...what type of classroom discussions are going to come out of that?

I was agreeing with you until I read this part. Yes, it was wrong to say the people in Durham are snobby and boring but what you have replied with is just hypocritical.
"boring, poor people"????? Who said poor people are boring eh?? and "what type of classroom discussions are going to come out of that?" What are you trying to say?! That the students of Manchester don't have interesting classroom discussions?? What makes you think Durham students are so much more intelligent than Manchester students? In trying to point out someone else's ignorance you have betrayed your own!

Latest