Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received an offer for Mechanical Engineering yesterday. I've also had a confirmation email inviting me to attend an open day where I get to stay at my college. Although I haven't heard back from my chosen college and I can't see a specific date of engineering open day. Also all I've found is a form to fill in requesting an informal tour. So do I just wait until I hear from my college before investigating further. I know the open days are in March so I need to book a flight soon as well.

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from the Mathematics course. I am gutted but life moves on, best wishes for everyone who is yet to hear from Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freerider101)
    I received an offer for Mechanical Engineering yesterday. I've also had a confirmation email inviting me to attend an open day where I get to stay at my college. Although I haven't heard back from my chosen college and I can't see a specific date of engineering open day. Also all I've found is a form to fill in requesting an informal tour. So do I just wait until I hear from my college before investigating further. I know the open days are in March so I need to book a flight soon as well.
    yep i too am waiting to hear from my allocated college.. the uni said to wait as the college will write to us and give us all the information we need.. just be patient well done! what college did you pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlsdbk)
    yep i too am waiting to hear from my allocated college.. the uni said to wait as the college will write to us and give us all the information we need.. just be patient well done! what college did you pick?
    St Mary's. I hope I get in since its quite close to the engineering site, although I didn't look into the colleges too much since I hadn't visited Durham- I wouldn't be too gutted if I got another college though since they all look very nice. Which college/ course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Confused Parent)
    OH!!! The AES status has changed today to 'Application received by College, a decision has yet to be made'. That means the maths department is going to make an offer???
    Pretty much. It'd be very strange if they didn't at this point, but if you read the stuff on the AES page, nothing is definite until UCAS says you have an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Confused Parent)
    OH!!! The AES status has changed today to 'Application received by College, a decision has yet to be made'. That means the maths department is going to make an offer???
    I keep wondering that too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Schnecke)
    Pretty much. It'd be very strange if they didn't at this point, but if you read the stuff on the AES page, nothing is definite until UCAS says you have an offer.
    Hey, are you going to be declining Durham if they give the same offer like Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Just got offer from Durham for Law probably be my insurance as I have offer from Cambridge! Anyone know that if you take it as your insurance you dont find out which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Hey, are you going to be declining Durham if they give the same offer like Cambridge?
    If it's AA like Cam (but without STEP) it'll most likely be my insurance as I'm very confident I can make those grades.. having said that I reckon I'll wait for January module results and Edinburgh's decision before settling on anything. I'm hoping I can get Imperial to change my offer as well, so I might put them down instead.
    Have you heard anything from Durham yet or decided on an insurance?

Also how's STEP going ?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Schnecke)
    If it's AA like Cam (but without STEP) it'll most likely be my insurance as I'm very confident I can make those grades.. having said that I reckon I'll wait for January module results and Edinburgh's decision before settling on anything. I'm hoping I can get Imperial to change my offer as well, so I might put them down instead.
    Have you heard anything from Durham yet or decided on an insurance?

Also how's STEP going ?
    Well Durham is the last uni that I haven't heard from yet, but don't want to withdraw as I would like to see what decision they were planning to get me (even it is a rejection :P)

STEP is going, going to start proper preparation from tomorrow, as I have now finished all my January exams. I have printed out both Siklos books, so going to work through does until about Mark time, then from then I will do mock exams for STEP (to get used to the 3 hour length :yep: )

How about you? How are you finding STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawapplicant1)
    Just got offer from Durham for Law probably be my insurance as I have offer from Cambridge! Anyone know that if you take it as your insurance you dont find out which college?
    You'll find out which college, but it is not necessarily guaranteed if its put as your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freerider101)
    St Mary's. I hope I get in since its quite close to the engineering site, although I didn't look into the colleges too much since I hadn't visited Durham- I wouldn't be too gutted if I got another college though since they all look very nice. Which college/ course did you apply for?
    Hatfield and economics but it's really oversubscribed so it might be full.. i don't mind though i'm soooo happy that i have an offer any college would be great! St. Mary's seems great.. Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunaelu)
    :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

I got into Durham NatSci.... again!!!!!!!!!!!! (It was my firm last year and I missed their offer :O )

I was so scared that they would reject me straight off since I'm a retake student, so I'm so happy!!!!

I basically only retook this year so that I could have another chance at getting into Durham's NatSci program so seriously this is like the pinnacle of goodness in my entire life
    What subjects are you planning on taking?? Sounds like the natsci offers are flowing out now (I got one this mornign - biology and maths)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccap)
    What subjects are you planning on taking?? Sounds like the natsci offers are flowing out now (I got one this mornign - biology and maths)
    Yeah there does seem to be a lot of chatter about NatSci today!

How are your offers stacking up? Do you have firm and insurance choices yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I'm a current student with quite a few friends doing Anthropology and Psychology
    Oh ok, cool What is it you do?
    Did I see you on one of the Hatfield threads? Whats it like??
    I have an offer from there and so it'd be nice to have the perspective of someone actually there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttynatz)
    Sounds like you got the travel bug!.. no I've had fun living in three different countries... it makes for some really good stories to tell True about the international community thing, but at my school most of them are portuguese and have been there all their lives, there's only a couple of international students, so you're really interesting when you come to my school if you're from abroad

haha.. you should try bones... its got a lot more humour than CSI

Same here, last year all the year 13's were telling me, you're gonna suffer next year and I was just like keep quiet.. but now I'm doing the exact same to my year 12's The one piece of advice I always give them, do your extended essay in the summer! and now the stress is really turning up- orals and TOK essay next week and then TOK presentations and more orals after that!:eek: Still on 19 May I will be free forever (my last exam is biology
    Lol, I know what you mean about giving advice to the year below. I made the mistake of not finishing my EE during the summer and it was SUCH a mess towards the end. I think I managed to do it well, but having not really started writing during the summer it meant that all the coursework in the first term of year 13 really conflicted.
    Which TOK essay are you doing?
    My last exam is bio too! *high five* I have 'may 19th' written on a post-it on my desk for motivation, lol

What country have you lived in other than portugal and south africa?

You're still waiting to hear about their decision right? good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    unconditional offer for Maths and Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccap)
    Well Done!!!!!!!! Especially as Bio and maths are hard choices to get in to as they are so popular ^_^

I put down to take Chemistry and Biology, and physics as my backup as I've already got an A in physics and I also enjoy it I don't ever apply to do something I don't enjoy, even as a backup.

I've got to get an A in chemistry and maths to get in (slightly terrified about chem but we'll see) but even if I don't get the results I've still got my unconditional from York to fall back on. So I'm happy as my gap year wasn't a total fail idea!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben788)
    Congrats!
    Still waiting, but my AES updated from received by department to received by college over a week ago. How long did it take for you? Oh and what college offer did you get?
    Nice one, got an ABB offer, then 3 weeks later st aidan's invited me there. You should get an offer before you find out which college to go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taverner)
    Nice one, got an ABB offer, then 3 weeks later st aidan's invited me there. You should get an offer before you find out which college to go to.
    for what subject?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.