Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlsdbk)
    haha defiantly have the same feelings.. right now i should be doing my econ and history coursework. Tok essay, CAS evidences, and about 5 other essays.. fun times
    haha amen to that.
    keep everything the same but substitue econ with biology and history with art projects and we are in the same stressful boat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    haha amen to that.
    keep everything the same but substitue econ with biology and history with art projects and we are in the same stressful boat.
    we will survive! what college and subject are you?

ReputationRep:
    we will survive! what college and subject are you?
    Anthropology at Hatfield you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webber8345)
    Anthropology at Hatfield you?
    Economics at St Aidans i think its on my useful links i applied to Hatfield but I guess its full by now! But i love Durham so i don't mind to be honest.. Aidans is supposed to be party college and it looked really fun with fancy dress and stuff are you going to the open day? aha i think i may have told you this before i get so mixed up with the names haha!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've got an offer for Natural Sciences at Durham in Collingwood College, which I am stoked about. But I'm also waiting on an offer/rejection from UCL.

I'm not sure which one I'd prefer to go to. Any1 got any ideas/recommendations/words of wisdom? Any1 in this situation?

Any help would be awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jroy9)
    Hey, I've got an offer for Natural Sciences at Durham in Collingwood College, which I am stoked about. But I'm also waiting on an offer/rejection from UCL.

I'm not sure which one I'd prefer to go to. Any1 got any ideas/recommendations/words of wisdom? Any1 in this situation?

Any help would be awesome
    I think you need to think what kind of environment you want to live and study in. I used to go to Durham, and loved my time there (I have actually applied to go back) - but while I like the university, I much prefer upbeat city environments. For me, Durham is a bit sleepy and there's not too much going on. Newcastle's only a short train ride away but most of the people I knew never really went that often. Plus for me, Newcastle is a bit sleepy too lol (I've lived in Dubai, Shanghai and Hong Kong).

The thing that's drawing me back to Durham is the relatively peaceful student life. It's quite easy to focus on your studies without being overly distracted by too many other things. Plus the fact that academically it is a fantastic institution - but in your case so is UCL. The main reason stopping me from completely wanting to go back to Durham as opposed to London, or to Hong Kong University (I now live in HK), is that there are far more things to do in big cities and you tend to meet a wider range of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    For lecture/seminar numbers, go to www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook and look up your course. Once you've selected your course, it will show you all the modules you can take. If you click on the module codes and scroll down to the bottom of the page, it tells you what your contact hours will be, and what you'll be learning about.
    Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got an offer yet for PPE?
    i'm still waiting

ReputationRep:
    Law at Castle

Literally just accepted their offer as my firm choice - can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    heya St Aidans is under my useful links.. how long does it take to get a confirmation ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAnderson87)
    Law at Castle

Literally just accepted their offer as my firm choice - can't wait!
    Well done! There are quite a few people on here with [email protected] See you in October.

ReputationRep:
    I was away for quite some time. Any new classicists around?

ReputationRep:
    heya St Aidans is under my useful links.. how long does it take to get a confirmation ??
    Mine came in the post a couple of days later. Think the same person probably does the link and sends the letter at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    I was away for quite some time. Any new classicists around?
    Do you know which college yet?

Have you heard anything definitive from your other choices?

Your wait is killing me . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusheenjb)
    I think you need to think what kind of environment you want to live and study in. I used to go to Durham, and loved my time there (I have actually applied to go back) - but while I like the university, I much prefer upbeat city environments. For me, Durham is a bit sleepy and there's not too much going on. Newcastle's only a short train ride away but most of the people I knew never really went that often. Plus for me, Newcastle is a bit sleepy too lol (I've lived in Dubai, Shanghai and Hong Kong).

The thing that's drawing me back to Durham is the relatively peaceful student life. It's quite easy to focus on your studies without being overly distracted by too many other things. Plus the fact that academically it is a fantastic institution - but in your case so is UCL. The main reason stopping me from completely wanting to go back to Durham as opposed to London, or to Hong Kong University (I now live in HK), is that there are far more things to do in big cities and you tend to meet a wider range of people.
    Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful.

I am wary of the small scale of Durham and have compared this to London but still haven't come up with a decision (though I never thought about it being easier to focus on my studies, that's got to be a pro aye) however I am worried about Durham perhaps being really small, but having said that I'm not used to hugely big cities (only for holidays).

I'm not sure what you studied, but you wouldn't know how the Durham Nat Sci Course compares with that of UCL in terms of which one is thought of as higher by international and UK employers/universities etc??

Also, being from Durham do you think the college system is a huge bonus??

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks heaps for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jroy9)
    Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful.

I am wary of the small scale of Durham and have compared this to London but still haven't come up with a decision (though I never thought about it being easier to focus on my studies, that's got to be a pro aye) however I am worried about Durham perhaps being really small, but having said that I'm not used to hugely big cities (only for holidays).

I'm not sure what you studied, but you wouldn't know how the Durham Nat Sci Course compares with that of UCL in terms of which one is thought of as higher by international and UK employers/universities etc??

Also, being from Durham do you think the college system is a huge bonus??

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks heaps for the help.
    There are loads of societies and sports going on in Durham, so the idea that you won't be distracted from your studies isn't true. The colleges have sports teams and put on plays, musicals, etc. as well as the university clubs, so more people are involved in these things than at non-collegiate universities.

So it comes down to how you spend your spare time, sports, drama etc, etc, or just clubbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    There are loads of societies and sports going on in Durham, so the idea that you won't be distracted from your studies isn't true. The colleges have sports teams and put on plays, musicals, etc. as well as the university clubs, so more people are involved in these things than at non-collegiate universities.

So it comes down to how you spend your spare time, sports, drama etc, etc, or just clubbing.
    Thanks

So if I was into my sports (not so much the drama side, though I don't mind it) Durham has a huge advantage over UCL??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhowell)
    Has anybody got an offer yet for PPE?
    i'm still waiting
    I got my offer before Christmas Holidays!

ReputationRep:
    Economics at St Aidans i think its on my useful links i applied to Hatfield but I guess its full by now! But i love Durham so i don't mind to be honest.. Aidans is supposed to be party college and it looked really fun with fancy dress and stuff are you going to the open day? aha i think i may have told you this before i get so mixed up with the names haha!
    Hi, quick question please; when you say 'Useful links', do you mean then under the colleges sub option from Useful links?

We now have a status of with College, but under useful links-colleges it just gives links to all the colleges? Are we looking in the wrong place, or does that only change from all to one once a college has accepted you?

Thanks, and congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Confused Parent)
    Hi, quick question please; when you say 'Useful links', do you mean then under the colleges sub option from Useful links?

We now have a status of with College, but under useful links-colleges it just gives links to all the colleges? Are we looking in the wrong place, or does that only change from all to one once a college has accepted you?

Thanks, and congratulations.
    You're looking in the right place. It just means you haven't been assigned a college yet. When you get assigned a college it will say:

Colleges
    Successful applicants will receive confirmation of their college via UCAS track
    [Insert College] College
    Colleges

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.