Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected on Thursday for Biology with industrial placement. I am so pissed off. I don't think I have ever wanted anything as much in my life as a place at Durham for that course.

Now I have no idea what to do, as I was going to make them Firm. I have e-mailed the department to ask why I didn't get in, as I'd just like to know why. I got the fairly standard response of, we had lots of application etc, but I feel gutted.

I just want them to reconsider me, I know that they won't, but I really want them to...:mad:

I spent most of Thursday night and Friday morning crying my eyes out-my Mum said she'd never seen me so cross in my entire life...that says something really doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueEyes_WearsGlasses)
    I got rejected on Thursday for Biology with industrial placement. I am so pissed off. I don't think I have ever wanted anything as much in my life as a place at Durham for that course.

Now I have no idea what to do, as I was going to make them Firm. I have e-mailed the department to ask why I didn't get in, as I'd just like to know why. I got the fairly standard response of, we had lots of application etc, but I feel gutted.

I just want them to reconsider me, I know that they won't, but I really want them to...:mad:

I spent most of Thursday night and Friday morning crying my eyes out-my Mum said she'd never seen me so cross in my entire life...that says something really doesn't it.
    But I'm sure you'll go somewhere and do really really well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    I've applied for Classics, and you?
    Did you make an open application or have you chosen a college?
    I chosen St Cuthbert's- you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueEyes_WearsGlasses)

I am very sorry and hope that you will get your wish . . . of course there will be loads of applicants without offers, but the point you're making is that there will be far fewer who persist to show enthusiasm and commitment in the face of rejection. I wish you all the luck in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoeberg)
    I chosen St Cuthbert's- you?
    I went for Castle
    What course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love 2 Learn)
    Aww that sounds lovely . Oh I didn't realise I thought they'd be quite old and architecturally very pretty since its bath :/ I love old traditional places. yeah that's a definite put off, lol I think I'll end up losing tons of weight (a very bad thing since im already quite small) cause I can't be bothered to cook or just too busy to. Yep I went to bath once but I think it's very touristy and not that student friendly. Haha somehow all my unis have some big hill that needs climbing :/ at least it means good views .

Thanks for the information, it was reeally useful I'm pretty sure I won't go to bath now, mostly cause of the self catering bit.
    dont let the campus buildings put you off, theyre not that bad and every uni, including oxbridge and durham has lots of ugly concrete buildings, the important thing is the city which is beautiful with a couple of cathedrals, lots of buildings in the style of edwardian/regency architecture, roman baths and the whole place is just really quaint.

where else you applying and what course?

ReputationRep:
    I went for Castle
    What course are you applying for?
    German single but with English or Russian for a subsidiary.

Ah Castle- I thought about it but as I really wanted an old central college I thought there was more chance of getting Cuth's. Plus I like the fact it calls itself a 'society' instead of a college (:

My parents both went to Aidan's so I have a weird feeling I'll get put in there. I'm going up to look around Durham in a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoeberg)
    German single but with English or Russian for a subsidiary.

Ah Castle- I thought about it but as I really wanted an old central college I thought there was more chance of getting Cuth's. Plus I like the fact it calls itself a 'society' instead of a college (:

My parents both went to Aidan's so I have a weird feeling I'll get put in there. I'm going up to look around Durham in a few weeks.
    German, wie nett
    I actually didn't know Castle was that popular when I applied (although I should have supposed it was, I guess ). I just really liked the description in the prospectus and what I saw on Durham's website. Now I'm rather worried because many people seem to be moved to another college and they seem to take very long for the college, which makes me think they sent me to another college.
    I suppose I won't make it to Durham very soon which is a pity. But if in the end I consider going there, I'll definitely try to visit.
    Are you going to and Open Day or visiting independently?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone heard from durham for ppe? ive been searching the tsr and found hardly anything...

ReputationRep:
    German, wie nett
    I actually didn't know Castle was that popular when I applied (although I should have supposed it was, I guess ). I just really liked the description in the prospectus and what I saw on Durham's website. Now I'm rather worried because many people seem to be moved to another college and they seem to take very long for the college, which makes me think they sent me to another college.
    I suppose I won't make it to Durham very soon which is a pity. But if in the end I consider going there, I'll definitely try to visit.
    Are you going to and Open Day or visiting independently?
    Independently. Ich habe nur gerade bemerkt, dass du aus Westfalen kommst, toll! Im Oktober war ich in Muenster- es hat mir sehr gut gefallen! Ein grosser Zufall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apepper)
    has anyone heard from durham for ppe? ive been searching the tsr and found hardly anything...
    Got my offer through yesterday morning. I applied in October, so it's a big relief to finally hear from them.

Now I just need York to reply so I can figure out what to do with my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    Physics at University college.
    You gotta love the chance of castle accommodation!
    Sweet, applied for physics at Castle too, got an offer a couple weeks ago, you heard from them yet?
    Also, I might know of you as I live in T Wells and go to Judd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SYNPHETIK)
    Sweet, applied for physics at Castle too, got an offer a couple weeks ago, you heard from them yet?
    Also, I might know of you as I live in T Wells and go to Judd
    Cool, haven't heard anything yet, but hopefully soon. I don't anyone from Judd directly but we're pretty near by as I go to TWGSB :P
    Hopefully the wait means they're still considering me and haven't just rejected me outright.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, haven't heard anything yet, but hopefully soon. I don't anyone from Judd directly but we're pretty near by as I go to TWGSB :P
    Hopefully the wait means they're still considering me and haven't just rejected me outright.
    Don't worry there are several of us still waiting for Durham Physics (and at Castle). Frustrating though isn't it! (I was also rejected by Oxford :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rogue Trader)
    Ah, ok thanks for the clarification. Apologies for the misinformation; guess I will have to wait a few days for a letter to confirm my college as well.
    It's fine good luck, hope you get your first choice college! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofluteftw)
    Don't worry there are several of us still waiting for Durham Physics (and at Castle). Frustrating though isn't it! (I was also rejected by Oxford :rolleyes:)
    Just had a look on AES (for the first time), and my application has been recieved by the department but not by the college, so I assume either the physics department aren't done with me yet or they're planning on allocating me to a different college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    My best friend is waiting to hear for History V100 at Josephine Butler...her AES is still with department.
    I know from here/my own experience that there have been plenty offers given out for History, but has anyone specifically heard for History at Josephine Butler? Or Josephine Butler in general?
    It's really hard, because Durham was my second choice and I have an offer, and it's her first choice and she doesn't...I wish there was something I could do!
    That's exactly what I have applied for, and I'm still waiting
    Just gotta not give up hope I spose

ReputationRep:
    Just had a look on AES (for the first time), and my application has been recieved by the department but not by the college, so I assume either the physics department aren't done with me yet or they're planning on allocating me to a different college.
    Basically the AES is pretty rubbish. It just lets you know when you have been sent to ANY college, not just preferred. The fact it is still with the department means they are still considering you, although be warned, being sent to a college does not necessarily mean an offer. (although >90% likely) as it shows the department would like to offer you a place
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    dont let the campus buildings put you off, theyre not that bad and every uni, including oxbridge and durham has lots of ugly concrete buildings, the important thing is the city which is beautiful with a couple of cathedrals, lots of buildings in the style of edwardian/regency architecture, roman baths and the whole place is just really quaint.

where else you applying and what course?
    Im doing NatSci and my first choice is Durham, just check out my signature . No of course not, its just the catering bit tbh, and I prefer UCL and Durham cause of various other reasons. I had initially considered Bath cause they do a year abroad scheme but recently found out i have this option at UCL too.

My college at Durham is Trevelyan which has the kind of architecture I dislike (60s grey concrete building) but I realise tbh it doesn't really matter like you said. Not to go somewhere purely because of architecture is a bit superficial and silly.

Btw what course are you applying for? Is it Biology? And where?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else checked the UniStats website? The tables don't give allllll that much information, but you can choose a subject area then order all the universities by average UCAS points gained by entrants, and Durham do awesomely.

NB : I have a (unproven) hunch it's slightly biased towards science subjects by nature, as maths/physics/chemistry/ other science students are more likely to do double maths, or at least 4 subjects. And, also, it doesn't actually directly relate to the competitiveness of the course, but you could assume a correlation.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

Anyways take a look if you're curious, it felt awesome to see that in physics (what I've applied for) Durham rank second in the country (behind Oxford, Cambridge don't count as they do natsci)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.