The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachetto
Any fellow Grey College/Law offer holders? :smile: And going to the Open day in March?!

I'm Grey :awesome: (according to my useful links :tongue:). Definitely planning on going to the open day, but haven't got a letter from them yet. What sort of day is it on?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3761
Has anyone tired to go about changing college from the one they were allocated? If so, who is the best person to contact about it? Admissions are ignoring my emails. :frown:
Original post by Schnecke

Original post by Schnecke
I'm Grey :awesome: (according to my useful links :tongue:). Definitely planning on going to the open day, but haven't got a letter from them yet. What sort of day is it on?

The open days for all the colleges are the same. Mainly 21st/22nd or 22nd/23rd March. Some colleges/departments might not be doing both.
Original post by sanksta

Original post by sanksta
Has anyone tired to go about changing college from the one they were allocated? If so, who is the best person to contact about it? Admissions are ignoring my emails. :frown:

The advice I got was - speak to the college you were allocated to. They have details of other colleges with vacancies and might suggest somewhere. I think they are trying to make it embarrassing to do so that you are put off.

I've also heard that they are more likely to consider a request to change after you've been to the open day in March because then you can say you've given it a chance and are still unhappy. Where don't you like?
Reply 3764
Original post by apepper
has anyone heard from durham for ppe? ive been searching the tsr and found hardly anything...

still havent heard!! :frown:
i have an offer from york and lancaster, but i really want durham!
Original post by sanksta

Better to actually call admissions than e-mail. Firstly, call up what College you want to find out if they have spaces left. You also have to get whatever your department is to e-mail your application etc to the College you want to move to. Im a PG student but my friend is UG Law at Trev's and is doing the same as me.
Original post by Ultimate1
In all honesty I'll probably get rejected. :frown:

You've got some AWESOME offers! :awesome:

Hey! You're on the road to UCL already, you can't say you'll be rejected! :wink:
Don't you just want to know though regardless so you can imagine yourself in a particular uni when everyone talks about it rather than just generic uniness??
Reply 3767
Original post by KayteeKaytee
The advice I got was - speak to the college you were allocated to. They have details of other colleges with vacancies and might suggest somewhere. I think they are trying to make it embarrassing to do so that you are put off.

I've also heard that they are more likely to consider a request to change after you've been to the open day in March because then you can say you've given it a chance and are still unhappy. Where don't you like?

I got reallocated to St Aidan's and I'm just not that keen on a hill college, and I'm a little odd and was actually really looking forward to the idea of gowned formals...
Yeah, it would make it a bit embarassing to do I suppose but they can hardly take their offer away and by the time I actually turn up they won't remember who I am anyway. :wink:
But the last email I sent the college (about how they allocate shared rooms..) seems to have disappeared into the void of cyberspace as I sent it a couple of weeks ago now and haven't got anything back...
It might be worth waiting until March I guess as by then they might have more of an idea of who's firmed etc. so more places might have spaces....
Reply 3768
Original post by sanksta
I got reallocated to St Aidan's and I'm just not that keen on a hill college, and I'm a little odd and was actually really looking forward to the idea of gowned formals...
Yeah, it would make it a bit embarassing to do I suppose but they can hardly take their offer away and by the time I actually turn up they won't remember who I am anyway. :wink:
But the last email I sent the college (about how they allocate shared rooms..) seems to have disappeared into the void of cyberspace as I sent it a couple of weeks ago now and haven't got anything back...
It might be worth waiting until March I guess as by then they might have more of an idea of who's firmed etc. so more places might have spaces....

What college had you applied to before. and what course? x
Original post by sanksta

I read in another thread on this that they're unlikely to move you unless you have a "pastoral need" but honestly, I'm not sure even that's going to help. I have a disability and they've pooled me to the least appropriate college for my need. I've emailed both the disablities person and the college but the college have basically said that I'm unlikely to be moved.

Just thought I'd share the news - sorry it's not good :frown:

P.S. If I do get to change, I'll let you know.
Reply 3770
Original post by mlsdbk
What college had you applied to before. and what course? x

I've applied for Combined Honours in Arts (with the intention of combining English Literature and Spanish) and I originally applied to Castle. In hindsight that was a bit of a long shot, but it's a shame that they don't really seem to reallocate people to somewhere similar...
Reply 3771
Original post by SecretSmiles
I read in another thread on this that they're unlikely to move you unless you have a "pastoral need" but honestly, I'm not sure even that's going to help. I have a disability and they've pooled me to the least appropriate college for my need. I've emailed both the disablities person and the college but the college have basically said that I'm unlikely to be moved.

Just thought I'd share the news - sorry it's not good :frown:

P.S. If I do get to change, I'll let you know.

That seems a bit ridiculous of them! :s-smilie:
Hope you manage to change to somewhere better in the end!
Reply 3772
Original post by sanksta
I've applied for Combined Honours in Arts (with the intention of combining English Literature and Spanish) and I originally applied to Castle. In hindsight that was a bit of a long shot, but it's a shame that they don't really seem to reallocate people to somewhere similar...

i got allocated to aidan's.. my friend got allocated to aidans for your course and she had applied to castle to and this was back in december! At first I too felt that i really wanted formals and things.. but then getting to see and research aidans i realised its one of the funnest colleges, outgoing, friendly and so friendly.. go to the open day you'll see what I mean.. have an open mind :smile:
Original post by Itareldie
Hey! You're on the road to UCL already, you can't say you'll be rejected! :wink:
Don't you just want to know though regardless so you can imagine yourself in a particular uni when everyone talks about it rather than just generic uniness??

Yh suppose. UCL is apparently more competitve for maths than Durham so if I got an offer from there, the chances do seem high.
Reply 3774
Original post by mlsdbk
i got allocated to aidan's.. my friend got allocated to aidans for your course and she had applied to castle to and this was back in december! At first I too felt that i really wanted formals and things.. but then getting to see and research aidans i realised its one of the funnest colleges, outgoing, friendly and so friendly.. go to the open day you'll see what I mean.. have an open mind :smile:

Yeah, I was a bit upset about being moved to a different college having applied in September and getting an offer in December. :/
Yeah, it does look friendly which is nice and I plan to go up to the Open Day to have a look around. I was just worried that it seems to have a reputation as a bit of a party college which isn't really my scene at all...
Original post by sanksta

Original post by sanksta
Yeah, I was a bit upset about being moved to a different college having applied in September and getting an offer in December. :/
Yeah, it does look friendly which is nice and I plan to go up to the Open Day to have a look around. I was just worried that it seems to have a reputation as a bit of a party college which isn't really my scene at all...

I got allocated there in November because the college I'd applied to was already full for my course. I was really upset at the time, but I'm coming round to the idea. I know people at other colleges and they all say you love whatever college you end up in and none of them has anything bad to say about Aidan's.

I've seen people on here saying they've been to bailey college formals and they're not that great and all the gown-wearing can get to be a nuisance.

I'm not really a party person either but I think you involve yourself as much as you want. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 3776
Original post by jh09
Thanks! I don't know yet, they are sending me a letter to confirm which college soon :smile: But I applied to St Hild & St Bede so I hope I get that one :biggrin:

Awesome :smile: I applied to Trevelyan... I think that's not a particularly common choice, so hopefully I'll get in. Also, I've heard they're quite good for arts/music too, which suits me :smile:
My AES College link has updated, so hopefully a letter is in the post.

Van Mildert which was my first choice. Thankyou Durham. :biggrin:
Reply 3778
Original post by The Rogue Trader

Original post by The Rogue Trader
My AES College link has updated, so hopefully a letter is in the post.

Van Mildert which was my first choice. Thankyou Durham. :biggrin:

hey, when did ur AES update? and congrats! Van Mildert is the college I want to get into, but I have an open application
Original post by KayteeKaytee
I got allocated there in November because the college I'd applied to was already full for my course. I was really upset at the time, but I'm coming round to the idea. I know people at other colleges and they all say you love whatever college you end up in and none of them has anything bad to say about Aidan's.

I've seen people on here saying they've been to bailey college formals and they're not that great and all the gown-wearing can get to be a nuisance.

I'm not really a party person either but I think you involve yourself as much as you want. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Really. Ive heard nothing but fun remarks about formals. The fact they get spread out after michaelmas term makes them less tedious to. Coming from London where I usually travel (Cycle) 10 miles + to go to parties/Hang out, the distance between Baileys and the Hill is laughable to me.

So my logic was simply if I choose a college with formals etc. and I dont like them that much then I can branch out into the other colleges that do other stuff rather than vice versa with non-formal colleges. If your sociable in class, sports or societies you are bound to know a bunch of people at every college.