Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofluteftw)
    Yeah playing loud is all right, just not for long periods! Far too much air required...
    I know! And don't you find it so annoying that you are the most qualified (which I am) but there are just the people (in my school particularly the people who can improvise in jazz groups) who get to do everything! And then they come up and say 'oh look I can play moonlight sonata' and they just play the 1st movement and not even the real thing but people act like they're some kind of God, whereas you then play and amazing piece of Mozart or Chopin and they're just like 'meh' :mad:
    Rant over

I hope so! I'm predicted over the grade requirements, and although I don't do further maths I said in my personal statement that I was reading the text books and my reference said that I was fully capable of doing it (i just couldn't in my timetable). I hope they see beyond the random subject combination as well!
    Keeps you fit, builds up stamina, its all good And ye of course I think that! I respect the jazz pianists though, they are cool, thats a skill in itself I had fun with one of my jazz friends the other day, him on piano, me on the drum kit (i cant play drums) and we went for 15 minutes At my school, its more like they can play the Mozart and Chopin better than I can, though the Einaudi bug is going round the amateur pianists, but thankfully the music teacher BANNED it
    You will be fine without further maths! If you are reading the books, you will be well ahead, so you will be well ahead, so what are your other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    How do they determine what college you get put into? I got put into Grey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remanda)
    Congrats! Which college?
    Thanks! I don't know yet, they are sending me a letter to confirm which college soon But I applied to St Hild & St Bede so I hope I get that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia1234)
    Well done both of you! that's amazing! i wish they would hurry up and tell me either way :P Which colleges did you apply to?
    Thanks! I applied to St Hild & St Bede but they haven't confirmed the college yet Which college did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    In all honesty I'll probably get rejected.

You've got some AWESOME offers! :awesome:

I know how you feel lol, had 4 replies and only one has been good news

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else feel that it is an unfortunate, if not unavoidable, shame that, particularly in the case of Humanities, Universities like Durham can't interview anymore?

ReputationRep:
    Hi any fellow St John offer holders?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know around what time AES updates? Or does it do it at different times for everyone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Anyone know around what time AES updates? Or does it do it at different times for everyone.
    Around midnight

ReputationRep:
    Any French and ab initio Russian offers out there? I've been waiting since October. I know they hold post-application open days in March, so I guess if I haven't heard by then they're not making me an offer, but I do wish they'd say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicoll)
    Does anybody else feel that it is an unfortunate, if not unavoidable, shame that, particularly in the case of Humanities, Universities like Durham can't interview anymore?
    Why can they not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    Why can they not?

Sheer number of applicants unfortunately, take history for example. This year there will be around 1800-2000 applicants for about 150 places. Unless they adopted a similar style to oxbridge with an earlier deadline they would struggle to get though all the applicants and all their applications in the time they have. It is unfortunate but a somewhat inevitable consequence of such an oversubscribed subject.

ReputationRep:
    Any fellow Grey College/Law offer holders? And going to the Open day in March?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by all_one_word_)
    How do they determine what college you get put into? I got put into Grey...
    I believe the department you apply to suggests a second choice college incase you don't get into your first. Don't know how they do it. Might be distance from the department or based on the interests you mention on your personal statement or could just be somewhere with vacancies for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachetto)
    Any fellow Grey College/Law offer holders? And going to the Open day in March?!
    I'm Grey :awesome: (according to my useful links ). Definitely planning on going to the open day, but haven't got a letter from them yet. What sort of day is it on?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tired to go about changing college from the one they were allocated? If so, who is the best person to contact about it? Admissions are ignoring my emails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schnecke)
    I'm Grey :awesome: (according to my useful links ). Definitely planning on going to the open day, but haven't got a letter from them yet. What sort of day is it on?
    The open days for all the colleges are the same. Mainly 21st/22nd or 22nd/23rd March. Some colleges/departments might not be doing both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanksta)
    Has anyone tired to go about changing college from the one they were allocated? If so, who is the best person to contact about it? Admissions are ignoring my emails.
    The advice I got was - speak to the college you were allocated to. They have details of other colleges with vacancies and might suggest somewhere. I think they are trying to make it embarrassing to do so that you are put off.

I've also heard that they are more likely to consider a request to change after you've been to the open day in March because then you can say you've given it a chance and are still unhappy. Where don't you like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apepper)
    has anyone heard from durham for ppe? ive been searching the tsr and found hardly anything...
    still havent heard!!
    i have an offer from york and lancaster, but i really want durham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanksta)
    Better to actually call admissions than e-mail. Firstly, call up what College you want to find out if they have spaces left. You also have to get whatever your department is to e-mail your application etc to the College you want to move to. Im a PG student but my friend is UG Law at Trev's and is doing the same as me.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.