Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Politics at not sure where yet. I like St.Johns but not the idea of shared rooms, so maybe somewhere like Collingwood ? Absolutely love Durham but feel my poor AS grades will seriously hinder my otherwise pretty good application =[

ReputationRep:
    NatSci at Collingwood

2nd/3rd choice

ReputationRep:
    Primary Education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Oh yeah, I think that should be fine.

I only get a basic loan and haven't struggled. That said, I've never lived in college accomodation which can be expensive. In fact, if I were to go into college as a returner (self catered ensuite) it would cost more than my loan!

Now I'm classed as an independent student, so my entitlement is no longer based on parental income, I was entitled to maximum loan and a £1000 higher education grant (what is the maintenance grant for those who entered post-2006) for my final year. But I've chosen to do it part-time meaning that I won't get either the loan or the grant. Only a £285 grant. Which is quite a difference :p:

Anyway, as mentioned I can get by comfortably enough on just the loan. The £1,000 grant wouldn't have been touched or, if it had, it would've been spent on books which although useful it's not necessary to spend more than a couple of hundred or so on books (if that) let alone £1,0000

Mind, this is living in very cheap private accomodation. Probably the cheapest private accomodation you can get in the city. But living in more expensive accomodation should still give you enough money.

Durham's small so easy to walk around. You won't have anything like transport costs. Food isn't particularly expensive. Books can be picked up quite cheaply if you get them second hand.

If you do feel you struggle financially then, once you've started, there are other potential sources of help including the access to learning fund. The university shouldn't sit back and allow you to struggle/drop out simply because of financial reasons. They won't you to complete the degree and be well supported. It's in their best interest after all :p:

But I've known a number of people with a funding level similar to yours and they do quite nicely.
    Ah thanks for explaining. Out of curiosity what is your budget for the year?

ReputationRep:
    Course: Computer Science (G400)
    College: Grey

Their typical offer is AAB, I have 4 As at AS level and am predicted A*A*A at A2, what are the chances of refusal? I'm hoping low, but keep hearing horror stories about people with great grades and predicted but not getting any offers.:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Maths @ St. Aidans.

Can somebody give me a briefing as to what this college is like??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    Ah thanks for explaining. Out of curiosity what is your budget for the year?
    I've never really budgeted. Always just gone with the flow but still find I've got a few hundred left for the summer. I wouldn't recommended this approach though.

For this past year I had a rough budget

£40 rent
    £25 food (I eat lots of fresh fruit :p: )
    £10 bills
    £5 for the "emergency" fund

There were other minor expenses like cleaning stuff, mobile phone and stuff like that. But those were the main costs. Then whatever was left, usually £30 or so, I had free to spend on going out and what not.

I finished the year with a few hundred left over.

I'm not receiving student funding this year (well, except for the small £285 grant) so I need to be particularly careful with my spending. I'll probably have a budget this year similar to the rough budget of last year except a little less in food.

If living in college accomodation my budget will be a lot different. Far more in "rent", more than twice what I'm paying. But no bills.

ReputationRep:
    Applying for Geoscience(MSci) at Jospehine Butler probably, want to go self catered I'm a fussy eater :P

ReputationRep:
    Combined Honours in Arts (Spanish and ME Studies) at St Mary's

ReputationRep:
    Law at Trevs.
    Anyone at Trevs want to say what it's like?

ReputationRep:
    when do you actually choose your college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms1993)
    when do you actually choose your college?
    On UCAS, in the campus code.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a maybe applicant for Geography. Not sure which college, but I'd be self-catered. :yy:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Psychology @ castle

ReputationRep:
    English Literature at University College (:

ReputationRep:
    PPE at University College.

I understand Castle's competitive but I don't really mind where I go so I thought I might as well try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Law at Trevs.
    Anyone at Trevs want to say what it's like?
    I'm just going into my 2nd year at Trevs, it's great here . Feel free to PM me any questions, and have a look at the Trevs thread (should be lower down this page) .

ReputationRep:
    Applying for Biology and Collingwood College

ReputationRep:
    Psychology at Josephine Butler.

ReputationRep:
    History at St Marys

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.