Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Joseph Butler @@@@@@

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Coincidentally, Durham was kind of a last minute pick for me as well. Will most probably be my firm, though. I got castle--wasn't expecting it, but definitely sealed the deal.

KCL over Durham? Ehhh, I could easily convince you otherwise :rolleyes:.
    Hey, sorry to interrupt, but if you'd list some of your reasons anyways, it'd be appreciated (so that the rather uninformed international students have more arguments to base their decisions on :rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat_Ngyuen)
    Durham was kind of last minute for me too. Someone just suggested it to me and I knew it was a good uni but I had no idea about what the place look like or anything. At that time I was 100% certain on York and when I look back YUCK! lol. I don't know what I was thinking.
    Me too. My college scared me into thinking I'd need two insurance unis so I chose York and effectively wasted a choice!

(Original post by Jørgen)
    Hey, sorry to interrupt, but if you'd list some of your reasons anyways, it'd be appreciated (so that the rather uninformed international students have more arguments to base their decisions on :rolleyes:).
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jørgen)
    Most of it would be directed towards law...and I'm assuming you're doing math judging from your past posts? But what I can tell you is....

First, my rants:
    -KCL is one of the most overrated unis on this forum.
    -If Durham is for Oxbridge rejects, then KCL is for UCL rejects--thus making it a second runner-up of rejects.
    -Idk about your course, but KCL's law school is facing IMMENSE financial problems.

Objectives (this is specific towards the math course):
    -Durham is ranked significantly above KCL.
    -Durham has an avg of 540 UCAS points...KCL has 440. That's a 100 point difference. In fact, 28% of the Durham students had above 600 UCAS points. While only 4% of KCL students had above 600 UCAS points. Clearly the students on the Durham math course are objectively more intelligent.
    -^^^ Because of that, Durham is the better academic environment.
    -Durham's grad employment rate is 83% vs. 65% at KCL.

Enough bashing KCL, but I could keep going here....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schwurlie)

Agreed
    Read my post above.

To add onto Law specifically.

-The Magic Circle recruits more from Durham than KCL
    -Durham has a 40 point higher UCAS average compared to KCL
    -There are twice as many people on the law course at KCL. This effectively means gaining employment will be twice as hard.
    -KCL's law school is in dire financial trouble (part of the reason QMUL is gaining on KCL for law)
    -Durham completely owns KCL on legal research. Durham is 4th in the RAE. KCL is 11th.
    -The collegiate system at Durham will give you a stronger alumni network. Say you talk to a partner at X law firm. Its one thing to say you both went to Durham. But if he was in the same college, imagine how much more he would help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (...)
    Thanks! Makes me feel good I didn't apply to KCL (I put in some other random uni instead, possibly Durham, although I now see I probably wasted your time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffanie)
    Yay for Butler
    I'm going on the 21st/22nd. Which subject?
    Same here. I'm applying for physics though, not law - but well done on the unconditional!

ReputationRep:
    Read my post above.

-There are twice as many people on the law course at KCL. This effectively means gaining employment will be twice as hard.
    -KCL's law school is in dire financial trouble (part of the reason QMUL is gaining on KCL for law)
    -Durham completely owns KCL on legal research. Durham is 4th in the RAE. KCL is 11th.
    -The collegiate system at Durham will give you a stronger alumni network. Say you talk to a partner at X law firm. Its one thing to say you both went to Durham. But if he was in the same college, imagine how much more he would help you out.

One small thing...

What you say is all well and good (and should be taken into account to a certain extent), but what if this person isn't basing their opinion on statistics and employability. If they genuinely prefer KCL as a uni to Durham then by all means they should go there! Obviously the things you mentioned should be taken into account, but none of it makes KCL a bad university - in fact I heard it's pretty good no?
    I think, when choosing between universities, you should think about where you'd be happiest, gut instinct and all that stuff - do you want a collegiate system? is the course right for you? etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hnk2401)
    One small thing...

What you say is all well and good (and should be taken into account to a certain extent), but what if this person isn't basing their opinion on statistics and employability. If they genuinely prefer KCL as a uni to Durham then by all means they should go there! Obviously the things you mentioned should be taken into account, but none of it makes KCL a bad university - in fact I heard it's pretty good no?
    I think, when choosing between universities, you should think about where you'd be happiest, gut instinct and all that stuff - do you want a collegiate system? is the course right for you? etc. etc.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Read my post above.

Do you have a source for the above quote re. MC recruitment? On LinkedIn, King's appears linked to the profiles of professionals in the law industry (mostly lawyers) apparently highest after Oxbridge. Your figures could be for recent hires, as opposed to historically, but I'd be interested in where you get the numbers from?

BTW, My personal suspicion is that King's is under-, rather than overrated on this forum. Certainly, living in London talking to professionals working/who have worked in the city, King's seems well regarded (as does Durham). In addition, if you view the posts of practising lawyers on this forum, I think you'll find similar opinions. Of course, this is all anecdotal, but then again "reputation" does seem hard to measure. Reputation-wise, I'd go with the thinking there's little to choose between them. Although, Durham has a certain uniqueness; King's is one of three, (KCL, LSE, UCL) so will naturally be compared with the other two, especially when they share such a similar environment (non-campus, spread over London). Having said that, I do have friends who've been not only to King's, but other UoL colleges, and commented on some of the disadvantages of the UoL generally in terms of student life; Durham will probably provide a more distinct experience. I don't know a Durham grad who didn't recommend it. And I do think you have a point re. too many students on the course at King's; I heard a similar complaint from a student who'd transfered to Oxford (for PPE) after starting on the King's LLB. King's certainly has it's problems, then again it also has about twice the financial resources as Durham, overall.

For me, (if I get an offer from King's), I'd definitely want to take a thorough look at both. I don't believe either would do me a dis-service CV-wise. It will probably come down to the experience I want, the environment I do best in, the course options etc. I'm leaning towards Durham; I enjoy a more compact, studious environment in which to study, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss London out of hand. Perhaps I'll be spared the decision if King's rejects me!

ReputationRep:
    OFFER FOR LAW AT DURHAM YESTERDAY!
    still haven't stopped smiling-it's the only LNAT uni I applied to! Don't know one single person going though. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riever86)
    Do you have a source for the above quote re. MC recruitment? On LinkedIn, King's appears linked to the profiles of professionals in the law industry (mostly lawyers) apparently highest after Oxbridge. Your figures could be for recent hires, as opposed to historically, but I'd be interested in where you get the numbers from?
    Yes, there's a link somewhere...it was awhile ago so small chance I'd find it. It was by proportion though. I've used the LinkedIn method as well, but it has 2 flaws: 1(It doesn't capture everyone. 2(Don't forget proportion, there are twice as many at KCL.

With that said, my LinkedIn search comes up with KCL and Durham having almost the exact same representation in the MC (don't forget KCL is 2x the size, so the fact that it has the same representation compared to a law school half the size). KCL has a bit more at Clifford Chance, but Durham has a bit more at Allen & Overy.

(Original post by riever86)
    BTW, My personal suspicion is that King's is under-, rather than overrated on this forum. Certainly, living in London talking to professionals working/who have worked in the city, King's seems well regarded (as does Durham). In addition, if you view the posts of practising lawyers on this forum, I think you'll find similar opinions. Of course, this is all anecdotal, but then again "reputation" does seem hard to measure. Reputation-wise, I'd go with the thinking there's little to choose between them.
    Correct. Only because its in London though. If you took the exact same institution and placed it in another part of the UK, it would loose quite a bit. Its objective numbers (research output, UCAS avg, etc.) are certainly not on par with Oxbridge, LSE/UCL and Durham.

With regards to what I didn't quote--I agree with most of what you have to say. One thing I would strongly consider (if employment is a big issue for you), is that KCL is literally twice the size. Durham has 545 registered students and KCL has 1025. For diversity sakes, its unlikely firms would re-adjust and take 2x as many KCL kids vs. Durham kids. If anything is underrated, its the issue of size at KCL. LSE, UCL, and Durham all have the same number of students (low 500's total).

ReputationRep:
    Applying for Applied Psychology - Queens Campus.

Can anyone offer any insight to the applied course? Whats stockton-on-tees like to live in... Im hoping to have Durham as main choice and Bangor as insurance, havent made my final decision yet :-/

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Update on Biomed Offers:

From what I can tell the following have had offers and colleges allocated:

Stevo:
    Wailinza (yes)
    MessyRoom
    RadioHawk
    Mooniibuggy (no) - insurance

John Snow:
    JCornwell
    GreyFox
    Kristinalovesu
    SeasickSteve
    Samsioux (deferred)

Be great to see how many others there are that have had offers and colleges allocated??

I've also just booked to go to the open day on the 16th March. Who else is going - stick a yes next to your name?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to St. Aidan's on the 21st/22nd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wailinza)
    Update on Biomed Offers:

From what I can tell the following have had offers and colleges allocated:

Stevo:
    Wailinza (yes)
    MessyRoom
    RadioHawk
    Mooniibuggy (no) - insurance

John Snow:
    JCornwell
    GreyFox
    Kristinalovesu
    SeasickSteve
    Samsionx

Be great to see how many others there are that have had offers and colleges allocated??

I've also just booked to go to the open day on the 16th March. Who else is going - stick a yes next to your name?
    is that supposed to be me? deferred entry btw

ReputationRep:
    Getting slightly anxious now that I've sent in my application for over 4 months and haven't heard anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Hob)
    Same here. I'm applying for physics though, not law - but well done on the unconditional!
    I think law and physics are about as opposite as you can get
    Thanks! I just wish it was October so I can finally go to uni haha.
    Are you thinking of firming Durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanksta)
    Anyone going to St. Aidan's on the 21st/22nd?

Anyone going to St Aidan's on 22nd/23rd?! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Getting slightly anxious now that I've sent in my application for over 4 months and haven't heard anything.
    Same here, it's realllyy annoying :/ What course are you applying for if you don't mind me asking?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.