Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Go to the open day before you decide But my friends doing IR say the course is really good (remember there are probably 1 or 2 IR students on here, plus a few students who've heard a few things about it from other people - it's really not representative of everyone!)

You can see what the course is like here: www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook
    Open day is kinda out of the question lol. I'm not in england. in fact i'm like a 12++ hour flight away. I'm not really a big fan of second hand info but in this case i don't have much of a choice. Thank you so much tho. I'm checking out the link you sent me now. You firming durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riviera775)
    Open day is kinda out of the question lol. I'm not in england. in fact i'm like a 12++ hour flight away. I'm not really a big fan of second hand info but in this case i don't have much of a choice. Thank you so much tho. I'm checking out the link you sent me now. You firming durham?
    Oh right, didn't realise you're an international student! I'm already at Durham so I'd definitely recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, didn't realise you're an international student! I'm already at Durham so I'd definitely recommend it!
    hahahaha. what r u studying? And what college are you in? I'm thinking about seriously firming Durham even tho it means that i won't have any insurance. I also got Manchester and Bath but i don't really wanna live in those places. Manchester seems way too busy and i don't really like the course at Bath. Is durham quiet? I kinda want a bit of peace lol.

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha. what r u studying? And what college are you in? I'm thinking about seriously firming Durham even tho it means that i won't have any insurance. I also got Manchester and Bath but i don't really wanna live in those places. Manchester seems way too busy and i don't really like the course at Bath. Is durham quiet? I kinda want a bit of peace lol.
    Why won't you have an insurance? Queen's Campus (in Stockton) is pretty quiet if your course is there, if it's in Durham City then it's not too quiet but definitely not like Manchester - basically student societies/colleges are the central focus for students.

ReputationRep:
    Why won't you have an insurance? Queen's Campus (in Stockton) is pretty quiet if your course is there, if it's in Durham City then it's not too quiet but definitely not like Manchester - basically student societies/colleges are the central focus for students.
    Coz my lowest offer so far is Durham. I don't know how that happened lol but it is. So if i pick Durham then i won't have an insurance. But the grades are very doable so all good. That sounds good. I wanna be there already!!!!! If i don't get King's (which i prolly won't) then i'm def gonna firm Durham. Maybe even if i DO get King's i'll still firm Durham lol. Reminds me of where i use to live when i was in NZ.

ReputationRep:
    Coz my lowest offer so far is Durham. I don't know how that happened lol but it is. So if i pick Durham then i won't have an insurance. But the grades are very doable so all good. That sounds good. I wanna be there already!!!!! If i don't get King's (which i prolly won't) then i'm def gonna firm Durham. Maybe even if i DO get King's i'll still firm Durham lol. Reminds me of where i use to live when i was in NZ.
    Just feeling like pointing this out: If you choose to firm you lowest offer, and therefore won't have an insurance, it wouldn't lower your chances to get in where you want, at all (in fact they'll be bigger). So if you feel like studying in Durham, at least don't let that make the decision harder. If you'd rather be somewhere else, you could have Durham as insurance, and have the same chance of getting in at one of your choices as if you firm Durham

PS: This post is just pointing out that fact. I have no idea which university you actually prefer, of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jørgen)
    Just feeling like pointing this out: If you choose to firm you lowest offer, and therefore won't have an insurance, it wouldn't lower your chances to get in where you want, at all (in fact they'll be bigger). So if you feel like studying in Durham, at least don't let that make the decision harder. If you'd rather be somewhere else, you could have Durham as insurance, and have the same chance of getting in at one of your choices as if you firm Durham

PS: This post is just pointing out that fact. I have no idea which university you actually prefer, of course
    Yah. I know lol. i freaked out at the beginning but then came to the same realization as you did. I jus feel kinda "unsafe" tho lol. I thought i was gonna have RHUL as my insurance but then they rejected me. ooops.

ReputationRep:
    AES link changed to van mildert

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicoll)
    For strictly research purposes only, and not the fact that a minor case of paranoia may be setting in, how many people are still waiting to hear back about history?
    Im STILL waiting for History too! Sent my application off in October too :confused: Its nice to know that people are in the same boat the wait is making me feel so nervous, I really want to go to Durham tooo!!

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a really great mentor who studies at Durham University and teaches abroad. She says she loves it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's got confirmation from their college about attending the open day, how long does it take for them to email? I sent my form off on the 8th of Feb, heard nothing... Will email tomorrow but I'm just wondering if this is normal or my letter's been lost or whatever. Kinda have no option but to stay overnight, so if I can't stay at Grey then I'm a bit screwed.
    Any help much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_m)
    Anyone who's got confirmation from their college about attending the open day, how long does it take for them to email? I sent my form off on the 8th March, heard nothing... Will email tomorrow but I'm just wondering if this is normal or my letter's been lost or whatever. Kinda have no option but to stay overnight, so if I can't stay at Grey then I'm a bit screwed.
    I sent mine off a week ago (do you mean the 8th Feb ).. still nothing. Really want confirmation so I can book train tickets.. I'm thinking of emailing them as well.

ReputationRep:
    going for Trevelyan open day on the 22nd for Politics. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellyandicecream)
    Im STILL waiting for History too! Sent my application off in October too :confused: Its nice to know that people are in the same boat the wait is making me feel so nervous, I really want to go to Durham tooo!!
    I think the wait is just because of numbers, it must be quite hard to narrow it down to the final selection. Such a long wait would imply that they have at least an interest in you as id imagine they would have been through all the applications at least once and are now narrowing it down. Fingers crossed and best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_m)
    Anyone who's got confirmation from their college about attending the open day, how long does it take for them to email? I sent my form off on the 8th March, heard nothing... Will email tomorrow but I'm just wondering if this is normal or my letter's been lost or whatever. Kinda have no option but to stay overnight, so if I can't stay at Grey then I'm a bit screwed.
    On the original letter I got from my college it said I wouldn't hear anything back from them after sending off the form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schnecke)
    I sent mine off a week ago (do you mean the 8th Feb ).. still nothing. Really want confirmation so I can book train tickets.. I'm thinking of emailing them as well.
    Oops, yep I do and I know, it's really annoying. I've booked train tickets already because I'm coming from London and they're get even more expensive the longer I wait, but I really need accommodation.. I'll email tomorrow either way because by then it will've been nearly 2 weeks and I need to know

(Original post by sanksta)
    On the original letter I got from my college it said I wouldn't hear anything back from them after sending off the form.
    Mine definitely says they'll email to confirm, so I hope they do! What's your college?

ReputationRep:
    Yah. I know lol. i freaked out at the beginning but then came to the same realization as you did. I jus feel kinda "unsafe" tho lol. I thought i was gonna have RHUL as my insurance but then they rejected me. ooops.
    Ah, good to hear (not the RHUL thing, of course ). Good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_m)
    Anyone who's got confirmation from their college about attending the open day, how long does it take for them to email?
    Received a confirmation e-mail from Castle two days after I sent the form but as this seems remarkably quick, I don't know how useful it is for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicoll)
    For strictly research purposes only, and not the fact that a minor case of paranoia may be setting in, how many people are still waiting to hear back about history?
    One of my best friends is still waiting to hear back from Durham for history. She sent her UCAS off on the 14th October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveD3709)
    Received a confirmation e-mail from Castle two days after I sent the form but as this seems remarkably quick, I don't know how useful it is for you
    Useful to know that at least one college is vaguely efficient, haha ta for the info guess I'll have to get used to it seeing as I'm firming it :rolleyes:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.