Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jørgen)
    Is it necessary to pre-order train tickets in the UK if I need to go from Newcastle Airport to Durham and back, or should it not be a problem to buy tickets when there (and do they sell tickets on the train, or on the station only)?
    No, you don't need to buy the tickets in advance.

You'll need to get a Metro (Newcastle's underground rail system) from the airport to Newcastle Central Station, the journey will take about 25 minutes, you must get your ticket from a machine before getting on the Metro. (It will cost about £3 single, or you can get a day return, cost varies depending on time of travel)

Then, when you get to Central Station you change from the Metro system, up some stairs to the proper railway station, where you have to get your ticket before you get on the train. There is a big ticket office, or you can use a machine. The electronic departures board will tell you which platform to go to. The journey from Newcastle to Durham takes about 15 minutes. (Costs about £5/£6 depending on what time you go, for a single ticket.)

There. I should get a job at British Rail. If it still existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HulaTallulah)
    No, you don't need to buy the tickets in advance.

You'll need to get a Metro (Newcastle's underground rail system) from the airport to Newcastle Central Station, the journey will take about 25 minutes, you must get your ticket from a machine before getting on the Metro. (It will cost about £3 single, or you can get a day return, cost varies depending on time of travel)

Then, when you get to Central Station you change from the Metro system, up some stairs to the proper railway station, where you have to get your ticket before you get on the train. There is a big ticket office, or you can use a machine. The electronic departures board will tell you which platform to go to. The journey from Newcastle to Durham takes about 15 minutes. (Costs about £5/£6 depending on what time you go, for a single ticket.)

There. I should get a job at British Rail. If it still existed.
    Thanks!

Yes, you should!

ReputationRep:
    Any other offers for Politics and/or at Josephine Butler?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who's applied to Archaeology been assigned a college yet? been over a week now and still no answer

ReputationRep:
    got a natural sciences offer today!! soo happy haha. just to wait for college now! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jørgen)
    Haha! I guess I'll maybe see you some time then. (and I also figured asking before checking the wiki article is a bad habit. It definitely raised my impression - I guess I just didn't like the sound of the name at first )

Does that mean that they take more people from private schools? (probably uncited wiki rumours, but that's all I have to go on for now )

Thanks.

Edit:
    PS: Just noticed Hild Bede doesn't run gowned formals (oh noes! ), so I'd like to know how much black tie costs in the UK (Wikipedia didn't tell me ;p)?
    Thanks!
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    It's not posh! Sssh ssh. It's amazing, 16 acres, beautiful buildings, loads and loads of sports team (all levels), societies, etc.

Oh, apparently, it's not posh :P Sorry

To be honest, I know as little as you Are you going to the open day in a couple of weeks? I'm quite excited about it, it's like a sleepover! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent-Varjoisa)
    Has anyone who's applied to Archaeology been assigned a college yet? been over a week now and still no answer
    Have you looked under "useful links" on AES?

ReputationRep:
    Nat Science offer today! So happpy feels like ive been waiting forever! Hope i get a pretty college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackpot)
    Oh, apparently, it's not posh :P Sorry

To be honest, I know as little as you Are you going to the open day in a couple of weeks? I'm quite excited about it, it's like a sleepover! :P
    Haha, that's okay!

I'm looking into what travel plan would be most efficient for me at the moment (cause I need to book flights). The train network in the UK seems to be good, so I might drop by London before the open day, not sure yet. Also, my travel insurance seems to be expiring tomorrow, so I need to get a new one of those as well ^_^

Hopefully it's all taken care of by tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    Have you looked under "useful links" on AES?
    Checking it everyday to see if anything appears under colleges.

ReputationRep:
    They only JUST processed my application for NatSci as I kind of applied...two days ago through Extra, heehee. I'm being horribly impatient!

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for Natural Sciences OMG!
    I am over the moon ahhhhhhhhhh!!! YAY YAY YAY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms)
    I got an offer for Natural Sciences OMG!
    I am over the moon ahhhhhhhhhh!!! YAY YAY YAY
    congratulations Which college did you get in to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seentje)
    congratulations Which college did you get in to?
    Thank you so much! I'm not sure yet but I applied for Castle hehe which is ultimately the equivalent to an open application. I applied two days ago through UCAS Extra, so it's unbelievable how swiftly everything went!

ReputationRep:
    Offer for History - AAA Happy days!

Applied for Castle but got Collingwood instead.

Know nothing about it though, opinions? Anyone else been assigned there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Can anyone help me? With the open days, do we get to choose if we go for the Monday night / Tuesday day or the Tuesday night / Wednesday day, or am I missing reading it? Thanks
    Lara! Don't know if you remember me but we were the wallowing Oxford rejects haha! I made a new TSR. Is Durham your firm?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vms)
    Lara! Don't know if you remember me but we were the wallowing Oxford rejects haha! I made a new TSR. Is Durham your firm?
    Haha bless our wallowing ways :rolleyes:

Unsure, I got an offer from UCL which hasn't be confirmed yet but probably will be A*AA. I think I prefer UCL to Durham (haven't visited Durham yet) but that A* is rather ominous so I'll see how Jan results go.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Offer for Maths!!! Yay so happy... nearly worth the wait !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellosophiec)
    Offer for History - AAA Happy days!

Applied for Castle but got Collingwood instead.

Know nothing about it though, opinions? Anyone else been assigned there?
    I haven't been assigned there, but I've visited Collingwood before coz my friends are there, and its a lovely place. Really chilled out, its known as the relaxed college. Its good for sport, and has a nice vibe. Everyone who I met there was awesome. It's on the hill, so its quite a walk into the centre of town, but nothing anyone can't handle. All in all, its a really good college to go to

ReputationRep:
    I just got a conditional offer for Maths! Sooo happy!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.