Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Had a great time at St. Aidan's open day Very friendly and open-minded seniors there - great social environment. However, I may consider to change college due to the quality of the rooms, convenvience etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've just come back off the open day for John Snow and firmed my offer, and about 30hours later nothing has changed on the AES.
    I'm aware lots of people seemed to be struggling with AES around the time of waiting for offers and branded it useless, but I phoned the accommodation officer for John Snow and she said go on AES and apply asap to ensure I don't miss out on getting a room!

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or will AES just eventually realise I've firmed Durham and an 'Apply for accommodation' link will appear?

It's letting me log in and everything, and it says "A decision has been made".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prels)
    Had a great time at St. Aidan's open day Very friendly and open-minded seniors there - great social environment. However, I may consider to change college due to the quality of the rooms, convenvience etc.
    I am also considering changing colleges because I was looking some pictures of the rooms and general St Adian's building and it doesn't look that great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gfaust)
    all you lucky people who get to go the durham for open days:

Be sure to let us unlucky ones know how it went! I really want to hear how much fun it was!
    brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)
    Where you there yesterday and today? I was at Castle then and had a really great time (despite still being 17).

What happened? My room door didn't lock which was a bit worrying but other than that the place was lovely the people friendly and the food good.
    Yeh i was at castle too, but i didn't really feel like i fitted in and stuff :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyblossom)
    was wondering if anyone else had a really awful time on the post app open days?
    What didn't you like, and which college were you at?

I thought it was alright despite also being 17 annoyingly, pretty well organised...however did have a bit of an inkling that wouldn't fit in there as it did seem dominated by a certain type, which I was worried about... I love the topwn and the course i've applied for is great but worried the atmosphere could be a bit claustrophobic and cliquey, based on the people i met =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gfaust)
    All you lucky people who get to go the Durham for open days:

Be sure to let us unlucky ones know how it went! I really want to hear how much fun it was!
    Heeeeeeey! I'm going to Durham!

Everyone, is there any fan page here about durham that's active? The only ones I've seen isn't active anymore. And I would like to do a research about some colleges and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i was at castle too, but i didn't really feel like i fitted in and stuff :/
    Most people did seem quite posh (myself excluded) but they were very friendly generally. I now have to choose between Warwick and Durham for my insurance (general engineering). I'm going to arrange to stay a night with one of my sister's friends at Warwick to try and help me make up my mind.

I did like Durham itself and Warwick is a bit isolated but I have to choose somewhere I wouldn't mind going to as my firm Cambridge has given me a nasty offer which I might not meet.

Have you got any other good offers? The point of open days is to see if you'd like it there so I suppose it has served its purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatalieDavies)
    Has anyone else not heard anything yet? I've applied for modern languages but my application hasn't evem been received by a college yet
    im still waiting too but for anthopology and sociology

ReputationRep:
    I was at Castle, and yeh i totally agree, seemed really cliquey and i felt so overwhelmed and i just didn't fit in so
    What do you mean cliquey, as in people seemed to form groups fast? I think that's quite a natural thing to do in any short situation as people tend to cling to the first person/people they meet, it happens on the first few days of freshers too, but then everyone finds people they actually have things in common with and leave their first groups to be friends with them.

Also, there seem to be a few castle people on here saying the same thing, so maybe you just all saw the same group of people? I know a lot of very different people who are currently in Castle so I can't believe that next year's freshers will all be exactly the same, a huge amount of people who eventually come to Durham don't even come to the open days so you wouldn't have met them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the Primary Ed course at the minute and could give me some info on how you're finding it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seentje)
    I was hoping John snow I'm a bit more on the traditional side I guess. Anyone else on here going there?
    Im going to John Snow What course you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khm2793)
    Im going to John Snow What course you doing?
    Bio Anth. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seentje)
    Bio Anth. You?
    Ah right. I'm doing primary education

ReputationRep:
    I was at the Castle open day for Monday and Tuesday, and I really couldn't fault the place at all. But I agree with above comments that everyone seemed really posh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharn0065)
    I was at the Castle open day for Monday and Tuesday, and I really couldn't fault the place at all. But I agree with above comments that everyone seemed really posh
    Maybe you seemed posh to them :P Poshness is relative, some people think that anyone who pronounces the letters t and h in them is posh, which would make the majority of English people posh; some people think that to be posh you basically have to be a prince and own a dozen horses. Not that being "posh" is necessarily bad, the same as not being posh isn't necessarily bad either. It's whether you're a **** that matters, no matter how posh you are.

ReputationRep:
    I was at Castle, and yeh i totally agree, seemed really cliquey and i felt so overwhelmed and i just didn't fit in so
    i know what you mean, i wasnt at castle but at my college i kind of ended up with a group i had very little in common with and didnt feel great about the whole thing. im not sure if id kind of built it up in my head like it was going to be amazing or something but yeah, its good to know it wasnt just me who felt a bit like that (not that its good you did but you get what i mean!)

(Original post by angelmxxx)
    What do you mean cliquey, as in people seemed to form groups fast? I think that's quite a natural thing to do in any short situation as people tend to cling to the first person/people they meet, it happens on the first few days of freshers too, but then everyone finds people they actually have things in common with and leave their first groups to be friends with them.

Also, there seem to be a few castle people on here saying the same thing, so maybe you just all saw the same group of people? I know a lot of very different people who are currently in Castle so I can't believe that next year's freshers will all be exactly the same, a huge amount of people who eventually come to Durham don't even come to the open days so you wouldn't have met them.
    how did you find the open day when you first went? did you feel really comfortable or did it feel a bit awkward?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbaa)
    i know what you mean, i wasnt at castle but at my college i kind of ended up with a group i had very little in common with and didnt feel great about the whole thing. im not sure if id kind of built it up in my head like it was going to be amazing or something but yeah, its good to know it wasnt just me who felt a bit like that (not that its good you did but you get what i mean!)

how did you find the open day when you first went? did you feel really comfortable or did it feel a bit awkward?
    I'm not in Castle, but I'm in another college which people like to add to the castle/hatfield stereotype. At the start, I did what I described earlier in the thread, started talking to four or five people at the train station/on the walk to my college and stayed with them for pretty much the whole open day. I talked to other people obviously and eventually spent some of the evening with another group of about 10 people, but because it's only about 12 waking hours in college, there wasn't much time to branch out and talk to a lot of other people. I did find it a bit awkward to start with, but I tend to just talk a lot in new situations, and I was more interested in seeing the format of college life (eg how everyone ate in the dining hall together so it would be an amazing way to meet people in Freshers/beyond Freshers), rather than exactly who the people were, because loads of people who came on the open day didn't firm/insurance Durham, and lots of people who are now at Durham never went on an open day!

Admittedly when I left I didn't feel like I'd just met my best friends for life, but I did enjoy the experience of being somewhere with loads of other potential students, and our open day reps were incredible so that really, really made me want to go to my college! I went to 2 different department talks too which meant I met lots of other people and they seemed to have had similar experiences and be really friendly which was good.

I went to Newcastle straight afterwards to look round there and after that realised I really needed to firm Durham, because no other uni I'd seen had any unpaid volunteers as open day guides/reps, and the Durham reps were some of the most enthusiastic people I'd ever met, and that's what really swung it for me: the actual students, rather than the people I met for a few hours on the open days. At the time I couldn't really understand how someone could love their college and uni so much that they felt a need to be an open day rep and show potential freshers how amazing it is, but being a student now I really do!

EDIT - By the way, remember that there's a 95% chance that your closest friends at uni won't be the people you meet first in Freshers week, I met most of my friends a few weeks into my first term, and only really got to be good friends with them at the end of that term. It takes time to develop friendships/work out what people are like, and you definitely won't be tied down to a particular group of people. I actually met some of my closest college friends through university societies, so you really do meet a whole range of people through lots of different ways, not just your corridor allocation. (But corridor allocation is done based on forms you write which tell the JCR all about you, what you like, bed times, what you like to do in the evenings, hobbies, if you like travelling/festivals/etc, so there's a very high chance you'll be good friends with your neighbours!)

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody go to the Van Mildert open day? What did you think of it? I haven't had a chance to visit yet and would love to know people's opinions, equally I would love to know what people thought of the Law open day? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I'm not in Castle, but I'm in another college which people like to add to the castle/hatfield stereotype. At the start, I did what I described earlier in the thread, started talking to four or five people at the train station/on the walk to my college and stayed with them for pretty much the whole open day. I talked to other people obviously and eventually spent some of the evening with another group of about 10 people, but because it's only about 12 waking hours in college, there wasn't much time to branch out and talk to a lot of other people. I did find it a bit awkward to start with, but I tend to just talk a lot in new situations, and I was more interested in seeing the format of college life (eg how everyone ate in the dining hall together so it would be an amazing way to meet people in Freshers/beyond Freshers), rather than exactly who the people were, because loads of people who came on the open day didn't firm/insurance Durham, and lots of people who are now at Durham never went on an open day!

Admittedly when I left I didn't feel like I'd just met my best friends for life, but I did enjoy the experience of being somewhere with loads of other potential students, and our open day reps were incredible so that really, really made me want to go to my college! I went to 2 different department talks too which meant I met lots of other people and they seemed to have had similar experiences and be really friendly which was good.

I went to Newcastle straight afterwards to look round there and after that realised I really needed to firm Durham, because no other uni I'd seen had any unpaid volunteers as open day guides/reps, and the Durham reps were some of the most enthusiastic people I'd ever met, and that's what really swung it for me: the actual students, rather than the people I met for a few hours on the open days. At the time I couldn't really understand how someone could love their college and uni so much that they felt a need to be an open day rep and show potential freshers how amazing it is, but being a student now I really do!

EDIT - By the way, remember that there's a 95% chance that your closest friends at uni won't be the people you meet first in Freshers week, I met most of my friends a few weeks into my first term, and only really got to be good friends with them at the end of that term. It takes time to develop friendships/work out what people are like, and you definitely won't be tied down to a particular group of people. I actually met some of my closest college friends through university societies, so you really do meet a whole range of people through lots of different ways, not just your corridor allocation. (But corridor allocation is done based on forms you write which tell the JCR all about you, what you like, bed times, what you like to do in the evenings, hobbies, if you like travelling/festivals/etc, so there's a very high chance you'll be good friends with your neighbours!)
    okay, that makes me feel a bit better thankyou!
    i think its just because as you say, you kind of stick with one group, i suppose once its a more relaxed situation itll be easier, and all the freshers reps did seem to love it so i suppose that says something

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.