Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    How did you find the open day? I couldn't go, but I've put John Snow as my firm choice.
    I'm sure you'll love it - it's all brand new and everything! The accommodation is amazing aswell, with awesome common rooms and every room is en-suite

Everyone at John Snow seemed really nice aswell. I consider myself to be moderately confident and was rather nervous but everyone was open and great!

I'm doing Business and Management

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prels)
    Had a great time at St. Aidan's open day Very friendly and open-minded seniors there - great social environment. However, I may consider to change college due to the quality of the rooms, convenvience etc.
    I also had a great time at St Aidan's. Everyone was so relaxed and friendly. I really didn't mind the accommodation at all. The common areas were nice, loads of lawns outside, duck pond, unbelievable view. Rooms have been refurbished recently and have mini-fridges. Loved it.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone go to the Open Day for Grey?
    I didn't stay over and just went for the tour... it seemed okay. The Fresher's block seemed old... bearable I suppose. The people seemed nice, it's the whole hilltop thing that kind of spoilt it for me. The views are nice yes, but it's just sooo far to walk, especially since Law is by the Cathedral so walking that much every single day seems a little annoying?

Any other Law applicants here? I found the atmosphere REALLY cliquey on Tuesday. Some were nice but there were just some really pretentious people there. And Durham as a city doesn't really do it for me, it's just so ridiculously small and isolated. In fact, it doesn't even seem like a city.

There wasn't anything bad about the Open Day, there was just something off about it. I can't even put my finger on it.

How long have we got to apply for accomodation if we do firm it? Going to do some serious contemplation.

ReputationRep:
    reading all these comments makes me a tad worried that I'll be going to castle college...
    was it really that bad?
    I wouldn't say I come from an uberly posh british family but I do have the accent a bit oops blame my father, he's from oxford x_x
    but I don't bite!

Edit: I wasn't boasting -__- I'm just saying that because my father comes from the south in the uk I have a very british-sounding accent, but that doesn't make me a rah. wtevs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms)
    reading all these comments makes me a tad worried that I'll be going to castle college...
    was it really that bad?
    I wouldn't say I come from an uberly posh british family but I do have the accent a bit oops blame my father, he's from oxford x_x
    but I don't bite!
    I wouldn't worry. I think its a tad overreaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachetto)
    Any other Law applicants here? I found the atmosphere REALLY cliquey on Tuesday. Some were nice but there were just some really pretentious people there. And Durham as a city doesn't really do it for me, it's just so ridiculously small and isolated. In fact, it doesn't even seem like a city.

There wasn't anything bad about the Open Day, there was just something off about it. I can't even put my finger on it.

How long have we got to apply for accomodation if we do firm it? Going to do some serious contemplation.
    I'm a law applicant too, Van Mildert college, so also very far from the law faculty. What did you think of the law open day? I didn't get to go and would love to know what they said/ what the people were like/ anything that seemed good/bad about the law course. I'm hoping to go visit durham in the next month or so and am a bit worried about this accomodation thing, is there a deadline on firming and getting accomodation? I don't want to end up in the worst areas....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms)
    was it really that bad?
    but I don't bite!
    grr, complaining?! you managed to get into castle in freakin march haha. Are you superhuman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexem)
    thought that cuths was absolutely amazing
    did you go on the 22nd/23rd? trying to work out if I met you :P

ReputationRep:
    I didn't stay over and just went for the tour... it seemed okay. The Fresher's block seemed old... bearable I suppose. The people seemed nice, it's the whole hilltop thing that kind of spoilt it for me. The views are nice yes, but it's just sooo far to walk, especially since Law is by the Cathedral so walking that much every single day seems a little annoying?

I was at the law open day for Tuesday
    All of the Butler law people just stayed in one group, everyone else seemed a bit scary
    Were you at the talks and lecture at the end?

ReputationRep:
    I stayed over on tuesday and went to the open day yesterday, and I loved it! I really liked it at castle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    I'm a law applicant too, Van Mildert college, so also very far from the law faculty. What did you think of the law open day? I didn't get to go and would love to know what they said/ what the people were like/ anything that seemed good/bad about the law course. I'm hoping to go visit durham in the next month or so and am a bit worried about this accomodation thing, is there a deadline on firming and getting accomodation? I don't want to end up in the worst areas....
    I'm a bit bewildered by all this talk about things being very far apart. Durham is a really small place. Nothing is THAT far away. Everything can be walked to in not that much time.

ReputationRep:

I'm not even sure why you are considering it. It clearly wasn't for you. You knew Durham was a tiny place before you applied.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with a previous post about cliques. They're just people who knew each other before they went. If I'd known anyone before I arrived, I'm sure I'd have stuck with them. It's a comfort zone. They might not even be friends, they just stay together because they know each other.

Those of you who picked Castle or Hatfield and were thrilled when you got it, knew it had a reputation for being posh when you applied.

Also, like me, I'm sure most people have seen a lot of university accommodation over the last year. With the exception of some Oxbridge colleges and some recently built stuff, most of it is not great (seem to reemember UCL was particularly bad). It's bad because students live in it and they don't look after it very well.

The problem with accommodation they show you on open days is that it's empty. Once you put your stuff in and make it your own, it'll be fine.

I'm sorry that some people hated their colleges, but I think a bit of research might have told them they wouldn't like it before they applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyblossom)
    what college are you?
    i spent the whole time in tears! everyone's so posh!
    So every posh person is horrible? Tbh thinking like that just makes you sound prejudiced and horrible.

Sorry you cried though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    I'm a bit bewildered by all this talk about things being very far apart. Durham is a really small place. Nothing is THAT far away. Everything can be walked to in not that much time.
    I was pretty sure the walk back from the Engineering department to the college was about 5 times as long as the way there

Damn hills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    Aidan's and Butler are quite far though, especially if people actually believed the 'anywhere is 20 mins away thing'. Aidan's to the Cathedral is probably 20-25 mins using the shortcut (bridge next to Hatfield), but the person probably walked the long way (down Elvet and then over the main bridge into town and up to the Cathedral) which would take 25-30 mins.

Not that that's a very long walk, especially as they'll only have 24 tutorials a YEAR in the law department, and if they timetable it right they can schedule days so that they walk into town, stay for 3 hours, go to the library then go home - one hour's walk in a day is hardly strenuous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    I was pretty sure the walk back from the Engineering department to the college was about 5 times as long as the way there

Damn hills
    You'll get used to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms)
    was it really that bad?
    but I don't bite!
    Don't apologise for having an accent!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyblossom)
    what college are you?
    i spent the whole time in tears! everyone's so posh!
    which college were you in? cos if im honest i expected everyone to be posh, and to sit there feeling lonely, and probably cry too, as im very shy.
    but it was completely the opposite, i only met about 2/3 posh people, and even so they were still really nice people who liked to have fun and im not posh AT ALL yet still thought this, i come from a non-private school with a lower than average pass rate, and my area is the opposite of posh, maybe you were just unlucky with who you met?
    then again i was in cuths which is apparently one of the least "posh" colleges sooo..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalelf)
    which college were you in? cos if im honest i expected everyone to be posh, and to sit there feeling lonely, and probably cry too, as im very shy.
    but it was completely the opposite, i only met about 2/3 posh people, and even so they were still really nice people who liked to have fun and im not posh AT ALL yet still thought this, i come from a non-private school with a lower than average pass rate, and my area is the opposite of posh, maybe you were just unlucky with who you met?
    then again i was in cuths which is apparently one of the least "posh" colleges sooo..
    Why would you think that "posh" people wouldn't be nice? This is what I just don't understand. Someone who pronounces all the consonants in a word or went to a private school is 99.99% likely to be a normal person. People come on here saying that they're worried everyone will be posh and look down on them, yet nobody is like that, and instead there's much more reverse snobbery going on!

Glad you liked your open day

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.