The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukethePianoMan
Ye I'm hoping there are more benefits to it. I have heard physics is an extreme course so not doing pure physics may be better?

What do you mean by an "extreme course"? :s-smilie:

Well I've heard there is still loads of maths in physics.

Most of the maths in the physics course is very functional - if you're more interested in the theoretical side, proofs, etc, you'd probably do better not doing straight Physics. Although the third year Physics maths module sounds really unpleasant - I'm avoiding it (I'm practical, not theoretical)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 4861
Original post by mafia dude

What they - still - have on the website of the 2+2+2 combination in year 1 or maybe even 2+2+1+1 for me, sounds really good.

Going by this first year I could do 3maths 2physics and have one module free if I am allowed to skip the labs, but then after that I don't think there's any free modules at all :/ maybe one.
Original post by Awoodrow2

Most of the maths in the physics course is very functional - if you're more interested in the theoretical side, proofs, etc, you'd probably do better not doing straight Physics. Although the third year Physics maths module sounds really unpleasant - I'm avoiding it (I'm practical, not theoretical)

Extreme just because I have heard it is really hard. You gave me four reasons why physics is difficult: a) Conceptually some of the stuff is quite difficult - especially quantum
b) Some topics have loads of formulae you need to memorise - especially astro
c) Maths is difficult
d) Lots of work to get through
I think I could eventually work through the latter 3 reasons then work hard at the first reason, it does sound difficult to understand some of the concepts, espeically in quantum physocs.
I am more into the theoretical side of physics, which is why I am doing half physics, half maths, and I am very glad we don't have to do a second year physics practical module in NatSci, just the first year course. Do you feel the academic jump between school and university was difficult, or was the jump between two of the university years an even bigger jump for you?
Castle, you're at Mary's, I've read, where a friend of mine also got a place.

Ah cool, congratulations of getting into castle. Is this friend a boy or a girl by any chance?
Ah cool, congratulations of getting into castle. Is this friend a boy or a girl by any chance?

A boy ... but just today I heard back form him - he's in Australia at the moment - that he didn't take the offer but rather wants to go to Switzerland now, where I don't think he has even applied. I don't know .... I had even gone to St. Mary's when I was in Durham just so I could tell him what it's like and I didn't reach him till today, he was probably without internet and didn't even think of it or didn't care to. Whatever, it would've been nice
A boy ... but just today I heard back form him - he's in Australia at the moment - that he didn't take the offer but rather wants to go to Switzerland now, where I don't think he has even applied. I don't know .... I had even gone to St. Mary's when I was in Durham just so I could tell him what it's like and I didn't reach him till today, he was probably without internet and didn't even think of it or didn't care to. Whatever, it would've been nice

Wow, phew, at least I'm not the only boy then! On TSR I have only met girls who are going there so far. You have been to St Marys? What is your opinion of it? I haven't actually visited the college. And ye he should've spoken to a friendly guy like you about it!

I was wondering if you would have any idea if Durham would be open in adjustment for Physics this year?

I emailed the department and got no reply... I was just wondering as I was rejected back in March because of my shoddy AS grades but when I got my January modules back I'd manage to improve all of my results substantially.

Wow, phew, at least I'm not the only boy then! On TSR I have only met girls who are going there so far. You have been to St Marys? What is your opinion of it? I haven't actually visited the college. And ye he should've spoken to a friendly guy like you about it!

Well he was reallocated. Also applied to Castle, you see. Although his actual goal was LSE. But since he won't be coming you might be the only boy after all :wink:
No, don't worry. Why should Mary's be more attractive to girls?
Anyway, the college .... I was not too enthused about the looks and "feel". The parking area is just in front of the upper building (where all the social stuff is and the administration) looking towards the lower building (more accomodation), not quite so nice. Buildings also didn't look special in any way. I guess it's quite practical though and compact, you have nice outsides in behind, the dining room looked good from the outside and you have an excellent location. Well, those were my first observations.
I think I could eventually work through the latter 3 reasons then work hard at the first reason, it does sound difficult to understand some of the concepts, espeically in quantum physocs.
Do you feel the academic jump between school and university was difficult, or was the jump between two of the university years an even bigger jump for you?

Thankfully you don't really need to be able to grasp the concepts to get through the work, although it definitely helps making my brain not explode.

It's hard to say which was the bigger jump. Most of first year maths was entirely A-level stuff, whereas now we've gone really beyond it. The increase in knowledge happens in a weird way, and all the modules mix together interestingly - coming to revise for my maths exam, I realised I'd forgotten that we did eigenvectors there, because I was so used to doing them in a quantum mechanical framework.

It's really interesting how some things only make sense after you've encountered them in a different module, and some just take a long time to sink in. I think this year's been harder mainly due to bad lecturers - especially in maths, it's made it very difficult to understand what we need to know. And this year's electromagnetism is a completely different approach to first year; much more theoretical with derived equations and quantities, whereas last year was all about integrating things.

Original post by Phil1541
I was wondering if you would have any idea if Durham would be open in adjustment for Physics this year?

I'm sorry, I really don't know about that.

It only became a mixed college in 2005 - before than it was only girls.
It only became a mixed college in 2005 - before than it was only girls.

Ah yes and I think there is also still a housing block for girls with special facilities. Hadn't thought of that. Still ... I presume they would want to get the ratio as even as they can by moving lots of boys in.
Original post by Phil1541

I emailed the department and got no reply... I was just wondering as I was rejected back in March because of my shoddy AS grades but when I got my January modules back I'd manage to improve all of my results substantially.

I doubt they'll know at this stage - if they do know, then the answer will be no but at least you'll know. Who did you e-mail in the dept? They're normally quite good at replying but I know there's been some staff illness this year so your message may have fallen through the cracks. It may depend on what intake the A-level results generate in Physics and elsewhere. It is possible that if the department and the University wanted to top up once they've seen the results that they would be open to adjustment offers. If Physics are full or if the University has hit its overall contract numbers then there won't be any adjustment. Last year the number of people taken via adjustment across the whole University was something like 5. You lose nothing by enquiring at the time if you'd like to be considered. Good luck.
How will I know (and when) if I've been allotted an ensuite room at Mildert? Any idea? I'm doing my masters in Psychology and got accepted into Mildert!
Thankfully you don't really need to be able to grasp the concepts to get through the work, although it definitely helps making my brain not explode.

It's hard to say which was the bigger jump. Most of first year maths was entirely A-level stuff, whereas now we've gone really beyond it. The increase in knowledge happens in a weird way, and all the modules mix together interestingly - coming to revise for my maths exam, I realised I'd forgotten that we did eigenvectors there, because I was so used to doing them in a quantum mechanical framework.

It's really interesting how some things only make sense after you've encountered them in a different module, and some just take a long time to sink in. I think this year's been harder mainly due to bad lecturers - especially in maths, it's made it very difficult to understand what we need to know. And this year's electromagnetism is a completely different approach to first year; much more theoretical with derived equations and quantities, whereas last year was all about integrating things.

Ah thanks thats really helpful, I do further maths and looking at the exam papers for core maths A, it looks like I can do around half of that already which is reassuring. Did you do further maths?
Well he was reallocated. Also applied to Castle, you see. Although his actual goal was LSE. But since he won't be coming you might be the only boy after all :wink:
Anyway, the college .... I was not too enthused about the looks and "feel". The parking area is just in front of the upper building (where all the social stuff is and the administration) looking towards the lower building (more accomodation), not quite so nice. Buildings also didn't look special in any way. I guess it's quite practical though and compact, you have nice outsides in behind, the dining room looked good from the outside and you have an excellent location. Well, those were my first observations.

Mary's is more attractive to girls as it used to be an all girls college, like Awoodrow2 said :biggrin:
Ye I'm glad the dining room is nice, I picked it mostly for the location and anything good about it is just a bonus really, and I took a quiz about my best suited Durham college and I got that one :smile:
Ah thanks thats really helpful, I do further maths and looking at the exam papers for core maths A, it looks like I can do around half of that already which is reassuring. Did you do further maths?

I only did AS Further Maths (FP1, S1, S2) - that covered the vast majority of Stats we do (to Second Year as well), and it was really useful knowing in advance about matrices and complex numbers. The more maths you've done already, the better.

Mary's is more attractive to girls as it used to be an all girls college, like Awoodrow2 said :biggrin:

Although on second thoughts, wouldn't you get a lot of guys applying for that exact reason? :tongue:
I only did AS Further Maths (FP1, S1, S2) - that covered the vast majority of Stats we do (to Second Year as well), and it was really useful knowing in advance about matrices and complex numbers. The more maths you've done already, the better.

Although on second thoughts, wouldn't you get a lot of guys applying for that exact reason? :tongue:

Ah great for me then, I have done M1 and M2, S1 and S2, D1, which probably won't be too helpful and FP1,2 and 3, though I imagine I might have to refine some of my methods when I get to uni as I like to take shortcuts, especially when doing first and second order differential equations. I'm hoping physics will be full of the kind of maths I can do well.
And I think there are enough girls in Durham to pick any college, and I have also heard St Marys has the stereotype of being full of lesbians, which I am sure isn't true, but might drive away the boys who ahve heard that.
And I think there are enough girls in Durham to pick any college, and I have also heard St Marys has the stereotype of being full of lesbians, which I am sure isn't true, but might drive away the boys who ahve heard that.

Even better for you :biggrin:
Even better for you :biggrin:

Lol, I will still want male friends though!
Original post by shruperstar
How will I know (and when) if I've been allotted an ensuite room at Mildert? Any idea? I'm doing my masters in Psychology and got accepted into Mildert!

All accomodation is done after results day I think, so they know exactly who will be living in the college.

Latest