Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mafia dude)
    Well he was reallocated. Also applied to Castle, you see. Although his actual goal was LSE. But since he won't be coming you might be the only boy after all
    No, don't worry. Why should Mary's be more attractive to girls?
    Anyway, the college .... I was not too enthused about the looks and "feel". The parking area is just in front of the upper building (where all the social stuff is and the administration) looking towards the lower building (more accomodation), not quite so nice. Buildings also didn't look special in any way. I guess it's quite practical though and compact, you have nice outsides in behind, the dining room looked good from the outside and you have an excellent location. Well, those were my first observations.
    Mary's is more attractive to girls as it used to be an all girls college, like Awoodrow2 said
    Ye I'm glad the dining room is nice, I picked it mostly for the location and anything good about it is just a bonus really, and I took a quiz about my best suited Durham college and I got that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukethePianoMan)
    Ah thanks thats really helpful, I do further maths and looking at the exam papers for core maths A, it looks like I can do around half of that already which is reassuring. Did you do further maths?
    I only did AS Further Maths (FP1, S1, S2) - that covered the vast majority of Stats we do (to Second Year as well), and it was really useful knowing in advance about matrices and complex numbers. The more maths you've done already, the better.

Mary's is more attractive to girls as it used to be an all girls college, like Awoodrow2 said
    Although on second thoughts, wouldn't you get a lot of guys applying for that exact reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)
    I only did AS Further Maths (FP1, S1, S2) - that covered the vast majority of Stats we do (to Second Year as well), and it was really useful knowing in advance about matrices and complex numbers. The more maths you've done already, the better.

Although on second thoughts, wouldn't you get a lot of guys applying for that exact reason?
    Ah great for me then, I have done M1 and M2, S1 and S2, D1, which probably won't be too helpful and FP1,2 and 3, though I imagine I might have to refine some of my methods when I get to uni as I like to take shortcuts, especially when doing first and second order differential equations. I'm hoping physics will be full of the kind of maths I can do well.
    And I think there are enough girls in Durham to pick any college, and I have also heard St Marys has the stereotype of being full of lesbians, which I am sure isn't true, but might drive away the boys who ahve heard that.

ReputationRep:
    And I think there are enough girls in Durham to pick any college, and I have also heard St Marys has the stereotype of being full of lesbians, which I am sure isn't true, but might drive away the boys who ahve heard that.
    Even better for you

ReputationRep:
    Even better for you
    Lol, I will still want male friends though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shruperstar)
    How will I know (and when) if I've been allotted an ensuite room at Mildert? Any idea? I'm doing my masters in Psychology and got accepted into Mildert!
    All accomodation is done after results day I think, so they know exactly who will be living in the college.

ReputationRep:
    Ah great for me then, I have done M1 and M2, S1 and S2, D1, which probably won't be too helpful and FP1,2 and 3, though I imagine I might have to refine some of my methods when I get to uni as I like to take shortcuts, especially when doing first and second order differential equations. I'm hoping physics will be full of the kind of maths I can do well.

I think you'll be well set for first year, and maybe a fair bit of second year too (depending on how much differentials you've done). Taking shortcuts for first and second order differentials probably won't be much of a problem - when we get to more complicated ones (especially partials), it's usually just declaring 'this is the answer' - more so in quantum mechanics with the Schroedinger equation.

Ah yeah, that's a good point. I don't know where I picked up that stereotype, because I don't remember anyone telling me it.

ReputationRep:
    All accomodation is done after results day I think, so they know exactly who will be living in the college.
    Since I'm an international student, I dont know when thats gonna be! Do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Since I'm an international student, I dont know when thats gonna be! Do you know?
    'results day' refers to the release of A-level results to UK students. This happens on 18th August this year I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry! Its 18th of August, so you will hear from Durham after that, or possibly just after when your results day. Do you have any results pending as part of a conditional offer or do you have an unconditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    Physics at Hild-Bede. Just because I'm a masochist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)
    I think you'll be well set for first year, and maybe a fair bit of second year too (depending on how much differentials you've done). Taking shortcuts for first and second order differentials probably won't be much of a problem - when we get to more complicated ones (especially partials), it's usually just declaring 'this is the answer' - more so in quantum mechanics with the Schroedinger equation.

Ah yeah, that's a good point. I don't know where I picked up that stereotype, because I don't remember anyone telling me it.
    Well I'm finding differential equations easy at the moment, so we probably haven't gone that deep into it. There are probably more particular integrals to learn. How did you find the practical physics modules?

ReputationRep:
    PhD Chemistry - St Cuths

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry! Its 18th of August, so you will hear from Durham after that, or possibly just after when your results day. Do you have any results pending as part of a conditional offer or do you have an unconditional offer?
    I have a conditional offer in hand but the condition has now been fulfilled! I just have to intimate Durham! Also, I was sent a college membership form in when I stated my preferred college (Mildert) but I did not hear back from them. However, in my offer letter it says I'm in Mildert. Is that strange or do they not let students know they've been accepted? :\

ReputationRep:
    I have a conditional offer in hand but the condition has now been fulfilled! I just have to intimate Durham! Also, I was sent a college membership form in when I stated my preferred college (Mildert) but I did not hear back from them. However, in my offer letter it says I'm in Mildert. Is that strange or do they not let students know they've been accepted? :\
    I'm not sure. Do Durham know you have fulfilled your offer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. Do Durham know you have fulfilled your offer?
    Nope, I don't have a marksheet yet, I just know what my results are because they were posted online!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't have a marksheet yet, I just know what my results are because they were posted online!
    Congratulations! Did you apply through UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! Did you apply through UCAS?
    No I didn't! I applied thru the university website! And, thank you Are you a current student at Durham?

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't! I applied thru the university website! And, thank you Are you a current student at Durham?
    No, we're all applicants =)

ReputationRep:
    No, we're all applicants =)
    Undergrad I'm guessing? Obviously, I haven't come across too many grad students like myself to answer my queries!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.