Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whats freshers like on Queens campus, Stockton?

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how much accomodation is at aidans (per week). website says 5500 for a 38 week let. aren't we only there for 30 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubberdam123)
    anyone know how much accomodation is at aidans (per week). website says 5500 for a 38 week let. aren't we only there for 30 weeks?
    You can get a 33 week let. The university had planned to only let freshers have 38 week lets but that has been changed (and don't let any college tell you otherwise!). The price is £5,082 (http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/costs/).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    You can get a 33 week let. The university had planned to only let freshers have 38 week lets but that has been changed (and don't let any college tell you otherwise!). The price is £5,082 (http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/costs/).
    Thanks. I still don't get why it comes to 5,082? my maths tells me it should be 4780! that would give me an extra £10 spending a week

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I still don't get why it comes to 5,082? my maths tells me it should be 4780! that would give me an extra £10 spending a week
    How are you calculating £4780? It was over £4500 in 2009/10 and the price tends to go up by about £200/£250 each year due to inflation.

ReputationRep:
    Probably lame college first year charges. If it is, your're lucky that they've added it on. We didn't even get told about them last year at my college. E-mail to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fousato)
    Yes, that's what I think as well.
    May I ask you something. I was having a look at the telephone networks the other day and I was thinking about 3 network... Do you know whether it's a good one? What about signal coverage, especially in Durham?
    I realise you posted this ages ago, but in case you didn't get a reply - o2 is really the way to go in Durham.

ReputationRep:
    remember that you also will have to pay to keep your stuff in your room over the holidays... (eg xmas)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie82)
    remember that you also will have to pay to keep your stuff in your room over the holidays... (eg xmas)
    what if you decide to take everything home?

ReputationRep:
    what if you decide to take everything home?
    You still have to pay for the Christmas holidays, but you can get a 33 week (as opposed to a 38 week) let and take everything home at Easter.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to congratulate everybody on their A level result today. You're all going to have the most fantastic 3 years in Durham.

Congratulations again.

ReputationRep:
    So... its after results day, and no decision!!

my offer for cell biology was ABB. i missed it and got A*AC.

so now i'm in a 'near miss' list and don't know if they'll give me a place.
    i've been told it could take until the 24th for them to decide - if they say no at that point, i'm screwed (there'll be nowt in clearing and all unis will be full)
    i've been ringing/emailing several people most of whom have been very helpful but can't give me a decision!

what should i do? i know i can't do much but wait but that's so nervewracking!

any suggestions? (i REALLY want to get a place on this course)

ps: my A* was in biology, and i got 100% in the second (harder) module. A in chemistry and C in maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie82)
    So... its after results day, and no decision!!

my offer for cell biology was ABB. i missed it and got A*AC.

so now i'm in a 'near miss' list and don't know if they'll give me a place.
    i've been told it could take until the 24th for them to decide - if they say no at that point, i'm screwed (there'll be nowt in clearing and all unis will be full)
    i've been ringing/emailing several people most of whom have been very helpful but can't give me a decision!

what should i do? i know i can't do much but wait but that's so nervewracking!

any suggestions? (i REALLY want to get a place on this course)

ps: my A* was in biology, and i got 100% in the second (harder) module. A in chemistry and C in maths.
    I would imagine they want to give you a place - although you missed one grade, you seem to have over achieved on two. They probably don't have a place to give you and they get fined if they go over their number. I suspect they're waiting for someone to give up/defer their place.

You're in a terrible position - I feel for you. I assume you can't use clearing until you're actually rejected. Was this your insurance place?

I heard somewhere that a lot of unis don't use clearing even if they have places. Try ringing the admissions tutor for other courses and see if they have a place. If you can get your name on a few lists, you might get something. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Getting results yesterday made me even more irritated about the fact that Durham didn't give me an offer for biology, as I got A*AB-2 grades higher than I would have needed if I had got an offer from them...

The only reason they didn't give me an offer was that my AS grades weren't high enough, ABBB. I seriously would do anything to go there, but I don't want to run the risk of reapplying and not getting in again and then having to pay higher fees somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

Congratulations to those who have met their Durham offers, I hope you enjoy your years here :hat2:

May I direct you to the Freshers 2011 thread? I'll still keep this thread open for a week as there are still some who have missed their offers and are in a "near miss" list so are in limbo. But, after about a week, I shall close this thread.

So, for those successful applicants, feel free to continue your chat at the Freshers thread.

Thankies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayteeKaytee)
    I would imagine they want to give you a place - although you missed one grade, you seem to have over achieved on two. They probably don't have a place to give you and they get fined if they go over their number. I suspect they're waiting for someone to give up/defer their place.

You're in a terrible position - I feel for you. I assume you can't use clearing until you're actually rejected. Was this your insurance place?

I heard somewhere that a lot of unis don't use clearing even if they have places. Try ringing the admissions tutor for other courses and see if they have a place. If you can get your name on a few lists, you might get something. Good luck.
    I've talked to the admissions tutors for my course, the department and my college. they all say they're doing their best and i believe them; i think a lot of people are a bit abusive to them when they're doing a very hard job!

i was told this morning that its good i haven't heard anything because there were others in my position who were rejected this morning.

they said they're having a meeting today to decide on what to do with all the extras.

well, i'll keep hoping. and ringing! i think if they don't offer me a place i'll ask for a deferred entry at least.

thank you for your support!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to josephine butler this october?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology at Mildert in october ! so excited, anyone else a mildertian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gleekchic)
    i'm at mildert for natural sciences (bio and maths)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gleekchic)
    (Original post by rebeccap)
    i'm at mildert for natural sciences (bio and maths)
    Good college choice rebeccap there's a chance I could be one of your college parents because not many people do both Biology and Maths modules in first year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.