Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    English Literature at St Cuthbert's Soc.

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for PGCE Primary at Ustinov

ReputationRep:
    Maths at University College

ReputationRep:
    Ive added Durham to my Ucas... Waiting on college for the sending etc...

Applying for Biology (C100) at University college.

Didnt want to go catered, but its worth it if I get into castle!(slim slim chances!)

ReputationRep:
    Going for two courses at Durham, both at University College...Law for one course and Criminology for another. Probably going to take the LNAT by the end of October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadence)
    Engineering at Collingwood (probably ... still persuadable). Also applying to Oxford (like that's going to happen), but I do love Durham, and tbh I'm not sure if I'd just rather go there.
    Same here. I'm applying to Collingwood/St Mary's/Trevelyan (for Politics/IR though), and also for PPS at Cambridge. However, I think I prefer Durham over Cambridge.
    (Original post by cynthialf)
    I'm applying for History at St Cuthbert's, I wasn't loving the idea of catered accommodation so I didn't have too many college options

Time to send applications soon
    Yup. We're both applying to three same unis: York, Durham and St Andrews. I've never been to York, it's my fifth choice (other possibles would be Nottingham, Manchester or Sheffield, which are larger cities).
    (Original post by jaheen22)
    Maths @ St. Aidans.

Can somebody give me a briefing as to what this college is like??
    I've been at the door, not inside. It's lots of stairs to arrive (I didn't count them, but maybe 70ish or even more), and I guess sometimes it may be quite tiring to do that everyday. It looked good from the outside, it was on refurbishment last week, and there's a lovely view from the door. It's just above the Politics/Middle Eastern department.

(Original post by Ivanka)
    Combined Honours in Arts (Spanish and ME Studies) at St Mary's
    Same as Cynthia, you are also applying to York, Durham and St Andrews. It's curious. (And you both to Oxford, I'm applying to Cambridge though.)

So for me:
    BA International Relations (L250).
    Collingwood/St Mary's/Trevelyan. Any advice? I've been inside the two first ones and just outside the door of the third one as well. I can't really make up my mind, and I'm due to send in my application by the 8th of October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SergioMZ)
    Yup. We're both applying to three same unis: York, Durham and St Andrews. I've never been to York, it's my fifth choice (other possibles would be Nottingham, Manchester or Sheffield, which are larger cities).
    Yap! It's a bit strange (and a bit worrying), I've seen lots of people with 3 or even 4 same unis as me - no exact matches yet though. The amount of very good universities is not that large though if you don't want to go to London (which is the case for me!).

ReputationRep:
    Yap! It's a bit strange (and a bit worrying), I've seen lots of people with 3 or even 4 same unis as me - no exact matches yet though. The amount of very good universities is not that large though if you don't want to go to London (which is the case for me!).
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

....for being predicted 45 in IB.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Nah, don't worry, too many people applying to other unis (there are more people with whom you will normally share one choice or none than those with whom you share more).
    Same here, though, London is completely out of the question. Same for Edinburgh, I found it really big and not the most pleasant place to live, coming from Barcelona.
    Curious as well the three of us are EU students. That's good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

....for being predicted 45 in IB.
    Haha! I haven't found the IB that bad so far really, but I've learnt so much in terms of time management and study skills - that probably has had a large effect on my grades! My subjects are also pretty easy and I like most of them a lot so

Are you doing the IB as well?

Wow. Nah, don't worry, too many people applying to other unis (there are more people with whom you will normally share one choice or none than those with whom you share more).
    Same here, though, London is completely out of the question. Same for Edinburgh, I found it really big and not the most pleasant place to live, coming from Barcelona.
    Curious as well the three of us are EU students. That's good.
    It is! Although I kind of wish I lived in the UK, would've been nice to get more help for my PS and applications in general Are you Spanish or just living there?

I don't really mind the cities that much but I also don't mind being in smaller places, and generally the cost of living is much less in those so on a student budget I decided against London etc I also kind of thought that as a student I should have plenty of stuff to do almost anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    It is! Although I kind of wish I lived in the UK, would've been nice to get more help for my PS and applications in general Are you Spanish or just living there?

I don't really mind the cities that much but I also don't mind being in smaller places, and generally the cost of living is much less in those so on a student budget I decided against London etc I also kind of thought that as a student I should have plenty of stuff to do almost anywhere!
    I understand what you say... it's kind of harsh to do it yourself, but at the same time it gives you more experience... it's not all bad.
    I'm Spanish, I'm 100% Spanish, as far back as the early 1800s.
    I don't like huge cities, actually. Not villages in the middle of nowhere, but not huge cities.
    How are you going to do about the student budget, by the way, as a European?
    And why do you want to move to the UK? It's nice finding more people with the same interest as you do.
    Have you visited any of the unis yet, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you say... it's kind of harsh to do it yourself, but at the same time it gives you more experience... it's not all bad.
    I'm Spanish, I'm 100% Spanish, as far back as the early 1800s.
    I don't like huge cities, actually. Not villages in the middle of nowhere, but not huge cities.
    How are you going to do about the student budget, by the way, as a European?
    And why do you want to move to the UK? It's nice finding more people with the same interest as you do.
    Have you visited any of the unis yet, anyway?
    I haven't visited any of the unis and I doubt I will either (other than Oxford for obvious reasons... as long as they invite me for an interview anyway!). I haven't really thought of my order of preference at all yet and visiting would of course be really helpful, but as mentioned I think as a student I'll probably enjoy my life almost anywhere I'm moving there because I didn't want to go to uni in Finland (for various reasons, including the fact that as an IB student I would need to take a gap year to be able to study for university entrance exams). I also thought I'd like to stay in Europe and go to an English-speaking country so didn't really have that many options

I'm going to get about 6,000€ a year from the Finnish government (the standard student benefits), then money from my family and I will probably do some work on summer holidays etc

What about you - for all three questions?

ReputationRep:
    x
    I'd personally go for St Mary's, but that's just because they have a strong drama society

That's nice to see other applicants applying to the same or similar unis! It seems that we've got unique preferences

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry at St Cuthbert's Society

ReputationRep:
    I haven't visited any of the unis and I doubt I will either (other than Oxford for obvious reasons... as long as they invite me for an interview anyway!). I haven't really thought of my order of preference at all yet and visiting would of course be really helpful, but as mentioned I think as a student I'll probably enjoy my life almost anywhere I'm moving there because I didn't want to go to uni in Finland (for various reasons, including the fact that as an IB student I would need to take a gap year to be able to study for university entrance exams). I also thought I'd like to stay in Europe and go to an English-speaking country so didn't really have that many options

I'm going to get about 6,000€ a year from the Finnish government (the standard student benefits), then money from my family and I will probably do some work on summer holidays etc

What about you - for all three questions?
    Uh-huh... interesting you should sit the entrance examination with the IB. Afaik, having the IB, you don't even need to sit SAT in the US. Here in Spain there is an entrance examination, but with A-levels, French Bac, IB or any other European system, you don't need to sit it.
    6000€ a year from the Finnish government? OMG. You know what I get from the Spanish government? 0€. Nothing. Not a single grant, scholarship, bursary, not even a loan. Nothing.
    So basically my parents are paying for it. I will help working during summers and maybe having a part-time work sometimes, but they are conscious of the disadvantage I am in because of having such a disgrace of a passport, so they say they'll pay for it. They're even offended because I want to get a tuition fee loan to pay for my fees myself, as they think they should pay them to avoid me getting out of uni in debt. Their mind is Spanish and I can't change that. I'll get the loan anyway, of course, and will try to help out as much as I can.
    I want to leave Spain because degrees here are four years long, instead of three, because I am forced to study in Catalan if I stay in Catalonia, because students get no support whatsoever from government so parents pay for everything and everybody within commuting distance of a uni goes to that uni and stays at home, and basically because unemployment for young people in Spain is about 50%, so I'm not really keen on starting a career here or having my family established in such a country with such a failure of educational system (I am really proud of being Spanish, but I prefer being part of the Spanish diaspora, keeping my language and traditions, but having as well the best of another country). I speak English rather well, plus I like the UK (I kinda feel at home there, if you get what I mean), and British unis are the best in Europe. I have some friends there, as well, and the international community is rather big, so...
    And yes, I have visited six unis this summer (I'm applying to four of them). My favourite is Durham. I fell in love with the place, it's gorgeous. Really, I can't describe it.
    Bristol, Cambridge and St Andrews are also nice. I didn't dislike Southampton but prefer not applying there, and deffo hated Edinburgh (I didn't particularly like the city, though it's got some really beautiful spots, but the uni itself was horrible, or so I found it).
    I'd personally go for St Mary's, but that's just because they have a strong drama society

That's nice to see other applicants applying to the same or similar unis! It seems that we've got unique preferences
    I'm not that into drama, just acted once on a performance (it was about Merlin and Arthur and I was Merlin, but that was when I was 8 years old, so you can imagine...). But I'd like to do some one day so that's a good thing to know. Buildings weren't as new as in Collingwood, and though I didn't see rooms in Collingwood, I know they're en-suite, while in St Mary's you get to share three toilets and three bathrooms for ten people. It's not that much, and I guess you know more people this way, so I'm considering St Mary's as well. Are you applying to St Mary's?

ReputationRep:
    x
    Yes, I am... I sent the application on the 25th and the disabled applicants' questionnaire arrived today They seem to be very quick...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am... I sent the application on the 25th and the disabled applicants' questionnaire arrived today They seem to be very quick...
    What disability have you got? :confused:
    But wow, the 25th, that's quite early. I'm excited because I'm sending it on the 8th, and it seems so soon!

ReputationRep:
    Afaik, having the IB, you don't even need to sit SAT in the US.
    This is really going to be uni dependent. I personally don't know of any US uni that allows you to not sit the SAT simply because you have IB. I know every kid at my school doing IB has sat the SAT. You can prove me wrong, and I could definetly be wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Bristol, Cambridge and St Andrews are also nice. I didn't dislike Southampton but prefer not applying there, and deffo hated Edinburgh (I didn't particularly like the city, though it's got some really beautiful spots, but the uni itself was horrible, or so I found it).
    Yeah it's a bit strange - especially when the national people will have had 3 months or so to study whereas IB graduates will only have had a week after their finals finish so it's quite impossible to get in on your first try.

I was really surprised to hear that people don't usually get student benefits in Europe and need to take loans for living expenses! People complain so much about the amount they get but knowing that makes it seem much nicer

Are you applying to Cambridge as well? What made you choose that over Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    I have Asperger's syndrome. It doesn't do anything serious (well...), it only affects my social (in)ability to interact with others and sensibility to noise (can't stand it, going crazy when hearing it; I remember we were writing a Maths test last week at school and because a few of my classmates were talking during it, I took the papers and went writing the test on the floor on the corridor - and I could concentrate more!).

I did that because of the new reference regulations. Paradoxically, they extended the deadline after I sent it .
    Uh-huh... during today I will send you a private message, asking you some questions. However, I didn't know that counted as a disability. It's quite the opposite, in a sense. I'll send it to you later.

This is really going to be uni dependent. I personally don't know of any US uni that allows you to not sit the SAT simply because you have IB. I know every kid at my school doing IB has sat the SAT. You can prove me wrong, and I could definetly be wrong...
    I've never been to the States, so you are obviously right. I didn't know that, tbh.

Yeah it's a bit strange - especially when the national people will have had 3 months or so to study whereas IB graduates will only have had a week after their finals finish so it's quite impossible to get in on your first try.

I was really surprised to hear that people don't usually get student benefits in Europe and need to take loans for living expenses! People complain so much about the amount they get but knowing that makes it seem much nicer

Are you applying to Cambridge as well? What made you choose that over Oxford?
    Wow... it's quite an unfair system, isn't it? Surprised? For me, the surprise is the government actually gives you any money (be it loans or non-repayable grants, I don't care). The Spanish government doesn't help anybody, you are left alone. Unis are cheap, and if you get really good grades (almost impossible to attain, anyway) you might get the fees for free, however, that's the end of it.
    I am lucky that my parents have been saving for my education, otherwise, I would have it really difficult if I wanted to leave (it's not much more expensive than staying at home, though it requires the money to go abroad, and it's kinda different).
    Yes, I am applying though, as I said, I don't think I'll ever be made an offer and, besides, I'm not sure if I would turn it down in favour of Durham (or put it as an insurance, which may be quite offensive, actually). Basically, I've ever been a "Cambridge" person, I have always liked more Cambridge than Oxford (I don't really have a reason). I've never been to Oxford, however, I've been twice to Cambridge, and I find it really nice. Plus, I don't find PPE interesting while quite like the composition of PPS (not the assessment, anyway, that puts me off going to Cambridge a lot!). What about you, why Oxford and not Cambridge?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.