The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Gonna apply for MAths! Can't friggin' wait!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Anyone else doing computer science?
Reply 62
SergioMZ
Wow... it's quite an unfair system, isn't it? Surprised? For me, the surprise is the government actually gives you any money (be it loans or non-repayable grants, I don't care). The Spanish government doesn't help anybody, you are left alone. Unis are cheap, and if you get really good grades (almost impossible to attain, anyway) you might get the fees for free, however, that's the end of it.
I am lucky that my parents have been saving for my education, otherwise, I would have it really difficult if I wanted to leave (it's not much more expensive than staying at home, though it requires the money to go abroad, and it's kinda different).
Yes, I am applying though, as I said, I don't think I'll ever be made an offer and, besides, I'm not sure if I would turn it down in favour of Durham (or put it as an insurance, which may be quite offensive, actually). Basically, I've ever been a "Cambridge" person, I have always liked more Cambridge than Oxford (I don't really have a reason). I've never been to Oxford, however, I've been twice to Cambridge, and I find it really nice. Plus, I don't find PPE interesting while quite like the composition of PPS (not the assessment, anyway, that puts me off going to Cambridge a lot!). What about you, why Oxford and not Cambridge?

Yeah it is quite unfair but understandable in a way - IB students are such a tiny minority and around half of them go abroad to study anyway so it's only couple of hundred students I suppose :smile: Most Finnish students need to take at least a year off because of the entrance exam system as well.

It's pretty strange, until the past year or so I've always thought all of Europe (except maybe Eastern parts) was pretty much like Scandinavia in terms of benefits you get with maybe tiny variations! :biggrin: But seems like this isn't the case at all.

Yap, of course no one can be sure if they're getting an offer or not :smile: I'm trying to think as pessimistically as I can anyway, I know I'll be really disappointed in January if I don't get in and it will be even worse if I'm optimistic :biggrin: I don't really have a rational reason for applying to Oxford either, it's supposed to be better for Humanities and the IB offers are usually much more manageable (I've heard of 44 point offers from Cambridge which is really crazy!)
whisperings

WORD OF ADVICE: think twice about choosing University College (Castle) - it might look absolutely magnificent being a castle and all, but it's so popular you're more likely to get shunted to another college. So be careful!

That's true, but you may as well go ahead and try. You never know.. :wink: And it is not the only college to be majorly oversubscribed, so the same could be said for other colleges too.

I say, avoid "tactical application" and choose whichever one you want :yep:
Reply 64
cynthialf
Yeah it is quite unfair but understandable in a way - IB students are such a tiny minority and around half of them go abroad to study anyway so it's only couple of hundred students I suppose :smile: Most Finnish students need to take at least a year off because of the entrance exam system as well.

It's pretty strange, until the past year or so I've always thought all of Europe (except maybe Eastern parts) was pretty much like Scandinavia in terms of benefits you get with maybe tiny variations! :biggrin: But seems like this isn't the case at all.

Yap, of course no one can be sure if they're getting an offer or not :smile: I'm trying to think as pessimistically as I can anyway, I know I'll be really disappointed in January if I don't get in and it will be even worse if I'm optimistic :biggrin: I don't really have a rational reason for applying to Oxford either, it's supposed to be better for Humanities and the IB offers are usually much more manageable (I've heard of 44 point offers from Cambridge which is really crazy!)

Uh-huh... wow, I didn't know the entrance system was so, so hard. I have heard the Finnish education system is the best in the world, but I didn't think of it as being that hard.

Oh, no. Really. Scandinavia is a world apart from Europe. The southerner, the shabbier, actually. Of course, the southernmost point of Europe is Spanish soil, afaik. xD

That's true, I want to feel I will receive no offers, so in case that happens I won't be that disappointed. Fingers crossed, anyway.
44 points? Wow! That's impressive. Isn't it impossible to attain that? What is your prediction? (I've got a friend at a UWC and even he thinks that's really high.)
Reply 65
Castle for Politics. Fingers crossed.
Reply 66
sentiment
Castle for Politics. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to the club of "people applying to almost the same unis". Change Exeter for St Andrews and you have my application. Colleges in Cambridge and Durham are different, though.
Reply 67
SergioMZ
Welcome to the club of "people applying to almost the same unis". Change Exeter for St Andrews and you have my application. Colleges in Cambridge and Durham are different, though.

Good taste! So which colleges are you going for? I liked St Andrews but it's just a little too far for me, as is Edinburgh - I live in the South so it'd be a LONG way to go three times a year!
Reply 68
sentiment
Good taste! So which colleges are you going for? I liked St Andrews but it's just a little too far for me, as is Edinburgh - I live in the South so it'd be a LONG way to go three times a year!

Thanks! I'm going for Christ's in Cambridge (Emmanuel being my second preference), and St Mary's in Durham (Collingwood being my second preference, and even though I like more the facilities at Collingwood I think St Mary's would feel like a better place, on the whole).
I deffo hated Edinburgh, I'm not applying there, no way!
And St Andrews was fine (though not as brilliant as I expected), but truth is it is a rather isolated place, and a very expensive one. It's £20 for a return ticket to Edinburgh (from Leuchars), plus £4 for a bus return ticket from St Andrews to Leuchars (which is only 5 miles, so it's way too expensive!). And generally I found everything a bit more expensive than it should be. Durham was surprisingly cheap, even cheaper than home. :biggrin:
Oh, and... I live far more down South than you do, I believe. I live in Barcelona. :biggrin: Truth is that, as I have to get a plane anyway, it's not really different to catch a plane from Barcelona to Stansted, to Bristol, to Newcastle, to Leeds or to Edinburgh. It's just about the same. I did fall in love with Durham, anyway. Have you been there?
And well, I guess that if you go to Durham in the end you will have to use planes anyway. I paid last week for a single ticket from Bristol to Newcastle £35 (with EasyJet). By train it'd take about 8 hours, one or to train changes, and some £60, I think, so... it'd be quicker and cheaper to go back home by plane than by train (depending on how close you live to an airport with flights to Newcastle, that's true as well).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
SergioMZ
Thanks! I'm going for Christ's in Cambridge (Emmanuel being my second preference), and St Mary's in Durham (Collingwood being my second preference, and even though I like more the facilities at Collingwood I think St Mary's would feel like a better place, on the whole).
I deffo hated Edinburgh, I'm not applying there, no way!
And St Andrews was fine (though not as brilliant as I expected), but truth is it is a rather isolated place, and a very expensive one. It's £20 for a return ticket to Edinburgh (from Leuchars), plus £4 for a bus return ticket from St Andrews to Leuchars (which is only 5 miles, so it's way too expensive!). And generally I found everything a bit more expensive than it should be. Durham was surprisingly cheap, even cheaper than home. :biggrin:
Oh, and... I live far more down South than you do, I believe. I live in Barcelona. :biggrin: Truth is that, as I have to get a plane anyway, it's not really different to catch a plane from Barcelona to Stansted, to Bristol, to Newcastle, to Leeds or to Edinburgh. It's just about the same. I did fall in love with Durham, anyway. Have you been there?
And well, I guess that if you go to Durham in the end you will have to use planes anyway. I paid last week for a single ticket from Bristol to Newcastle £35 (with EasyJet). By train it'd take about 8 hours, one or to train changes, and some £60, I think, so... it'd be quicker and cheaper to go back home by plane than by train (depending on how close you live to an airport with flights to Newcastle, that's true as well).

I nearly chose St Mary's but I've been won over by the prospect of living in a castle..I figured since this is my second application (I've already left college) I might as well choose the one I really want to go to even if it is more likely I'll get moved to a different college.
True about Durham being cheap! As far as transport, food and drinks goes, it's miles cheaper than where I live at the moment.
I'm lucky enough that my parents will probably be able to drive me to and from uni at least once a year, so I guess I'd have to work out whether it was better to fly or get the train home. I have a friend who's there at the moment and if you book your ticket in advance and travel at crazy times (arrive at 2am etc) then you can gat the train very cheaply. I'll play it by ear! Truth is if I don't get into Cambridge, Durham is the next best place academically (don't want to go to London) so I didn't want to be put off applying just because it's less convenient than some places.
And lucky you for living in Barcelona..
Reply 70
sentiment
I nearly chose St Mary's but I've been won over by the prospect of living in a castle..I figured since this is my second application (I've already left college) I might as well choose the one I really want to go to even if it is more likely I'll get moved to a different college.
True about Durham being cheap! As far as transport, food and drinks goes, it's miles cheaper than where I live at the moment.
I'm lucky enough that my parents will probably be able to drive me to and from uni at least once a year, so I guess I'd have to work out whether it was better to fly or get the train home. I have a friend who's there at the moment and if you book your ticket in advance and travel at crazy times (arrive at 2am etc) then you can gat the train very cheaply. I'll play it by ear! Truth is if I don't get into Cambridge, Durham is the next best place academically (don't want to go to London) so I didn't want to be put off applying just because it's less convenient than some places.
And lucky you for living in Barcelona..

Uh-huh... that's true. May I ask why are you re-applying?
I don't like the castle-thing, to be honest, and besides, St Mary's looks quite old and appealing to me. Spanish architecture has little to do with the one in England, so overall I'm already improving.
Durham, completely apart with the fact that I fell in love with it, is really cheap. As I've said, cheaper than Barcelona (taking into account the exchange rate, yes). My parents are basically paying everything for me (except the fees because, after much, much effort, they have kinda 'accepted' that I want to pay for them myself with the loan), so the cheaper, the better, I don't want to be much of a nuisance to their economy.
I don't think driving is really worth it, at current fuel prices... anyway, I have no choice. I've travelled once by train to London, from Barcelona. It's not as long as you might imagine (night-sleeper to Paris, 12h, plus the Eurostar), but it's way too expensive, even more if you have to make a connection from London.
Same here, as well. London, just because of being London, was automatically ruled out of the question. So Durham and St Andrews are the next best places. :biggrin:
Lucky, though? Sure not. Life is hell here, unless you're a retired person or a tourist. If you have to either study or work (or even better, do both at the same time), then you'd be better off anywhere else.
Reply 71
SergioMZ
Uh-huh... that's true. May I ask why are you re-applying?
I don't like the castle-thing, to be honest, and besides, St Mary's looks quite old and appealing to me. Spanish architecture has little to do with the one in England, so overall I'm already improving.
Durham, completely apart with the fact that I fell in love with it, is really cheap. As I've said, cheaper than Barcelona (taking into account the exchange rate, yes). My parents are basically paying everything for me (except the fees because, after much, much effort, they have kinda 'accepted' that I want to pay for them myself with the loan), so the cheaper, the better, I don't want to be much of a nuisance to their economy.
I don't think driving is really worth it, at current fuel prices... anyway, I have no choice. I've travelled once by train to London, from Barcelona. It's not as long as you might imagine (night-sleeper to Paris, 12h, plus the Eurostar), but it's way too expensive, even more if you have to make a connection from London.
Same here, as well. London, just because of being London, was automatically ruled out of the question. So Durham and St Andrews are the next best places. :biggrin:
Lucky, though? Sure not. Life is hell here, unless you're a retired person or a tourist. If you have to either study or work (or even better, do both at the same time), then you'd be better off anywhere else.

If you saw the weather here today, you'd think yourself lucky :wink:

I'm reapplying because I applied to uni last year to study English and then decided I wanted to do Politics, so I'm taking a gap year to work and travel. As it happens I've got much better grades than I had last year so I should be in a far stronger position (that's the idea anyway).
Reply 72
sentiment
If you saw the weather here today, you'd think yourself lucky :wink:

I'm reapplying because I applied to uni last year to study English and then decided I wanted to do Politics, so I'm taking a gap year to work and travel. As it happens I've got much better grades than I had last year so I should be in a far stronger position (that's the idea anyway).

I'm not so sure. I like cold, actually, and rain. Anyway, last week Bristol was hotter than Barcelona, and much sunnier as well. Temperatures in Durham/Newcastle were about the temperatures we're having now in Barcelona. Scotland's cold is out of this world, anyway.
Uh-huh... good choice, Politics is always interesting. And with better grades, you can go to better unis, which is always good as well.
Reply 73
SergioMZ
I'm not so sure. I like cold, actually, and rain. Anyway, last week Bristol was hotter than Barcelona, and much sunnier as well. Temperatures in Durham/Newcastle were about the temperatures we're having now in Barcelona. Scotland's cold is out of this world, anyway.
Uh-huh... good choice, Politics is always interesting. And with better grades, you can go to better unis, which is always good as well.

So why are you coming to uni in Britain? I've actually been considering going to Madrid/Barcelona for part of my degree, depending on where I go..
Reply 74
sentiment
So why are you coming to uni in Britain? I've actually been considering going to Madrid/Barcelona for part of my degree, depending on where I go..

Well, I don't like Spanish unis (huge unis where professors don't go to lectures as they are civil servants and can't be sacked, so PhD students give most lectures, where you are just a number, where there is no competition to get in so everybody can go, where everybody stays at home for uni, living with mum and dad, not working, paying mum and dad for everything, and just living la vida loca, where degrees are four years long, where the concept of student's union is absolutely alien, where the concept of societies doesn't exist, where the concept of government giving out any loans or grants for students doesn't really exist (apart that if you get in Bachillerato more than a 9 (out of 10, that'd roughly be A*A*A*A*AAAAAA" for A-level as Spanish Bachillerato, in Catalonia, has 10 subjects, 9 subjects in the rest of Spain, in which you only get to choose four, and you choose whether you want sciences, humanities or social sciences, there are almost no mixtures), you get the tuition fees for your first year free - they are about £800 a year so nothing really exciting), where when you get out you stand no chance of doing anything (50% unemployment rate for people 16-30, be them graduate or not), where, up to two years ago, you earned three or four times as much by being a builder than being a graduate in Engineering with a couple of masters, etc.). Do I need to explain myself further?
Oh, and yes... because if I stay in Catalonia (and going to Madrid is actually more expensive than going to Britain, as residences are really expensive because they are unusual), I have no choice but to study in Catalan. I speak Catalan (I have studied in Catalan all my life since some months ago, when I started self-teaching A-levels in English - so yes, that's right, I've never studied in my mother tongue), but I don't want to be forced to study in a language. Professors in Catalan unis need to have a really high level of Catalan (something like IELTS 8.5, roughly, which many natives can't achieve), so the quality of professors and the quality of the teachers diminish as the language they speak is the most important thing, above academic achievements or qualifications.
As unbelievable and exaggerated as it sounds.

On the other hand, I speak English, I like England, I love it in there, actually, and I am considering really seriously the option of staying in Britain for my career (I know that, unless they pay me so much I simply can't refuse, I won't even bother in finding any jobs in Spain, where the average salary for graduates, if you're in the group of the lucky ones finding jobs, ranges from £300 (it's illegal to pay that, but it is said it is an internship... that may last for various years) to £1000. More than a thousand quid is really, really weird. And people stay earning that for the rest of their lives, maybe when they retire they earn £1500, but that's about it. Cool, my country, huh?).

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes people see we're a frigging sunny country where everybody seems happy, and they think that, because of being in Europe, we are like the rest of Europe. And we aren't.
In some things we are a really developed country (motorways, roads and railways are generally better in Spain than in Britain, truth be told), but in many, many others, we are simply many years behind.
I am proud of being a Spaniard, and will always be, but I want my children to stand a better chance. And I will work hard somewhere else to accomplish that, whatever the costs. That, or studying hard so that I get an expat job in my home country and don't have to worry about money ever again, even if I get fired.

I prefer to abstain in giving my opinion on your idea of studying in Spain a part of your degree. You must speak fluent Spanish to do so in Madrid, you must speak fluent Catalan to do so in Barcelona (no, you do NOT need Spanish if you come to Barcelona).
Reply 75
SergioMZ
Uh-huh... wow, I didn't know the entrance system was so, so hard. I have heard the Finnish education system is the best in the world, but I didn't think of it as being that hard.

Oh, no. Really. Scandinavia is a world apart from Europe. The southerner, the shabbier, actually. Of course, the southernmost point of Europe is Spanish soil, afaik. xD

That's true, I want to feel I will receive no offers, so in case that happens I won't be that disappointed. Fingers crossed, anyway.
44 points? Wow! That's impressive. Isn't it impossible to attain that? What is your prediction? (I've got a friend at a UWC and even he thinks that's really high.)

I wouldn't call it very hard, IB is very much harder than the Finnish equivalent - I did a few languages in the Finnish national finals and got the highest grades basically without studying... The hardest part is getting into university! Why did you decide to go to the UK then?

Seems so! :biggrin: That sucks though, I really had no idea you couldn't even get a student loan or anything.

It's possible but it's pretty rare, I think a couple of hundred candidates get that each year so it's a crazy offer. I'm predicted 44-45 points (44 points on my UCAS form) but I think a couple of points lower is much more realistic, I know I would stress myself to death if I actually had to get 44 points in my finals to get into university! I mean obviously it's my goal to do as well as possible (and I'd like 45 points) but I'm not willing to bet on it with my uni place :biggrin:
Hey I want to apply for St Chads college, how popular is it? Would I be likely to get a place there? Other colleges I'm considering are St Cuthberts and Grey.
Reply 77
st cuthberts, theology :smile: anyone know what accommodation's like there?
Reply 78
Fingers-crossed guys!
Anyone know if Durham waits until after the Jan deadline to start replying for all courses, or if it ever replies earlier for some courses?

Latest