Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received an offer for PPE at Durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip_H)
    John Snow, you?
    Ah Stephenson for me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sophia14)
    did you get told this on UCAS Track by the campus code? Or did it still say your original choice of college when you first got the offer and then they wrote to you to change it? if so how long did it take for them to tell you your college? I'm dying to know if i managed to get into Castle, but it think its really unlikely!

Oh well i'm really pleased just to have an offer really, but castle would be the cherry on the cake

Hasn't updated on ucas yet. Got a letter in the post about 5 weeks after.

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot just got to wait now i guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackpot)
    Hmm I'm starting to worry

Don’t worry, I sent my application for psychology in mid october and I still haven’t heard back. What I’ve heard from previous years is that there is no set pattern to Durham’s decision making, they’re really random. Some people get offers in a month and others get offers 4 months later. But I’m starting to get really annoyed now, I’ve got offers from my other choices but not Durham, which ideally I’d like to firm (fingers crossed I get in)

ReputationRep:
    anybody heard from biomed?
    my AES status has been "decison not yet made" for 2 months now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunnowhattoputhere)
    Don’t worry, I sent my application for psychology in mid october and I still haven’t heard back. What I’ve heard from previous years is that there is no set pattern to Durham’s decision making, they’re really random. Some people get offers in a month and others get offers 4 months later. But I’m starting to get really annoyed now, I’ve got offers from my other choices but not Durham, which ideally I’d like to firm (fingers crossed I get in)
    It's about as non-random as you can get!

People apply, they read the applications, if you're an amazing candidate (one of the best they've seen in any year), you'll get an offer quickly.

If you clearly have no chance of getting in (predicted 3 Ds at A level, no Maths A level for a Maths degree, etc.), you'll get a quick rejection.

Everyone else goes in the 'maybe' pile, to be considered once all the applications are in after the January deadline.

They can't give out too many offers now for popular subjects because they are legally bound to consider everyone who applies before the January deadline equally and fairly. Clearly giving out 80% of the offers by December would be unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody had an offer for history?

Im starting to loose faith....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    It's about as non-random as you can get!

People apply, they read the applications, if you're an amazing candidate (one of the best they've seen in any year), you'll get an offer quickly.

If you clearly have no chance of getting in (predicted 3 Ds at A level, no Maths A level for a Maths degree, etc.), you'll get a quick rejection.

Everyone else goes in the 'maybe' pile, to be considered once all the applications are in after the January deadline.

They can't give out too many offers now for popular subjects because they are legally bound to consider everyone who applies before the January deadline equally and fairly. Clearly giving out 80% of the offers by December would be unfair.
    I think I'm a pretty good candidate tbh...5 As at AS, predicted 5A*s...and I haven't heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigPash)
    Anybody had an offer for history?

Im starting to loose faith....
    I have seen a few Durham offers for history on TSR, don't have one myself though. I assume more will start coming after the January deadline

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for Engineering this afternoon ^_^

Definitely going to be my firm choice!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm a pretty good candidate tbh...5 As at AS, predicted 5A*s...and I haven't heard.
    That's obviously more than pretty good but tbh in Durham terms not so exceptional it'd guarantee you an early offer.

Also the History department use your PS and reference too, especially the PS as they want to see what you think about History and what you're interested in - everyone will be predicted at least 3 As, usually more than 3 and including A*s (although they're not really taking into account A*s as they've only been given out for 1 year so nobody can really tell how accurate predictions are).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything for maths yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattypb)
    Has anyone heard anything for maths yet?
    nope, my application is still with the department, as it has been for nearly 3 months...

ReputationRep:
    My AES changed to;

* Your application has been received by a College
    * A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details

On Friday for Politics (L200). I haven't heard anything else yet. Does this mean I definitely have a place considering it is so early in the process? And am I supposed to get an e-mail from the university or a change on UCAS if I have got a place? And how soon should I expect that?

I'm now getting myself worried because I haven't heard anything else yet, and I've read through this thread and I'm shocked at some of the people getting rejections. My application is pretty unremarkable; 3A*,7A and 3B at GCSE, 3A and C in maths at AS + Gen stud and critical thinking. Predicted A*A*A at A2 but its nothing compared to some. I'm pretty sure I don't warrant any early acceptance, if any at all! Especially as Durham only received my applicantion 3 weeks ago! I think they might have just hit the wrong button on the AES! haha. Help please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    That's obviously more than pretty good but tbh in Durham terms not so exceptional it'd guarantee you an early offer.

Also the History department use your PS and reference too, especially the PS as they want to see what you think about History and what you're interested in - everyone will be predicted at least 3 As, usually more than 3 and including A*s (although they're not really taking into account A*s as they've only been given out for 1 year so nobody can really tell how accurate predictions are).
    I'm not history I'm psychology. I had a good personal statement, really good reference. What more can Durham want!! How am I supposed to get BETTER than 5As and 5A*s?!!

ReputationRep:
    Any home students heard anything for law? Really begining to panic!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard anything either, and I wouldn't say I'm weak at all... 4 A's at AS and 3 A* predictions at A2. And the course is for Biology where the grades are ABB

ReputationRep:
    I'm not history I'm psychology. I had a good personal statement, really good reference. What more can Durham want!! How am I supposed to get BETTER than 5As and 5A*s?!!
    Oh right, sorry- well that's less competitive but still amazing applicants!

After a point (3/4As/A*s predicted), they have to stop looking at grades and look at your PS and reference. Since 90% of their applicants will have those grades, it really is a lot about the PS. I'm sure yours is good but then equally very few people will have a bad one! So they have to spend hours reading through them and trying to see what you're like, why you like psychology, if you'll fit with the Durham course wel, etc....which takes months and months because they also have to give lectures and tutorials at the same time!

(And as I said before, they really can't give out many offers now because they HAVE to give everyone who applies before the deadline equal consideration. January's still a month away!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_u_t_h)
    nope, my application is still with the department, as it has been for nearly 3 months...
    Mine's been there for 2 months and still heard nothing. I thought that Durham would email us asking for UMS scores but they haven't

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.