Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does the SNP allow English people to join it? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm English, and I want Scotland to be independent/sovereign. I think the UK should break up and England be independent/sovereign too.

Does the SNP allow English people to join it? And also, why is the break-up of the UK a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    People say it's bad because 'divided, we are weak'

This isn't my personal opinion, hence the quoting.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do otherwise they are breaking the law...

The UK is stronger together, its as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    United Kingdom sounds nicer

ReputationRep:
    The SNP doesn't field anyone south of the border but yeah you are free to join, though it would be pointless.

If you want to help their cause, lobby for Scottish independence to the UK parliament as an Englishman.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland forever our post service is just better!

ReputationRep:
    The SNP has always been spend, spend, spend and independence. If they get the latter, they won't be able to do the former to extent which they have been.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea how many laws they'd be breaking if they had a ban on English members?

That being said, they're idiots. If you want to campaign for independence (and take it from a Scot - it's not something we really want) then do so as a lobbyist.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course

1)How do you define English?
    2)As others have said, it would contravene loads of Human Rights/Anti-Discrimination legislation if they didn't

See link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Yes they do otherwise they are breaking the law...

The UK is stronger together, its as simple as that.

Yeah but also the SNP don't care about the ethnic make-up of Scotland. It is purely about perceived economic benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I'm English, and I want Scotland to be independent/sovereign. I think the UK should break up and England be independent/sovereign too.
    Or you could grow a pair and actually campaign for English independence rather than take up the '**** off Scots' attitude.

Hey, why don't you join the IRA? Much the same idea really.

And also, why is the break-up of the UK a bad thing?
    Frankly, trying to educate a Nat is like trying to beat a fieldmouse: bloody difficult and ultimately pointless.

ReputationRep:
    We're keeping them sweet until the north sea oil runs dry, did you not get the memo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Or you could grow a pair and actually campaign for English independence rather than take up the '**** off Scots' attitude.

Hey, why don't you join the IRA? Much the same idea really.
    No, I think killing people is wrong. And I would readily campaign for English independence.

Frankly, trying to educate a Nat is like trying to beat a fieldmouse: bloody difficult and ultimately pointless.
    Are the only arguments for the Union "power" in global terms? Well, either way the UK would have to share or even lose global relative power to the BRIC countries. Besides, it is due to England that the UK is still a major world country.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland needs England's money. Scottish people aren't stupid, although the same cannot be said for the snp, who only really got in as a protest vote against new labour.

ReputationRep:
    why do you care.

just

really

ReputationRep:
    Join Al Qaeda.Much more respected worldwide imo.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone in the SNP party was born in Scotland, there are MPs born as far away as Pakistan. Although I don't think their methods are the greatest.

By the way to the people who say we need you.. Scotland is what, less than 10% of the population of the UK. And we contribute a greater percentage than that to the kitty. And England needs stuff from Scotland too. If anything it's a mutual dependence, not Scotland needing England and England being kind enough to keep us on as a charity case.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think killing people is wrong. And I would readily campaign for English independence.

Are the only arguments for the Union "power" in global terms? Well, either way the UK would have to share or even lose global relative power to the BRIC countries. Besides, it is due to England that the UK is still a major world country.
    England may be the driving force of the UK and why it is still a major world country... but split apart the Union then England will not be as powerful as it would have. Together we stand, divided we fall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    Not everyone in the SNP party was born in Scotland, there are MPs born as far away as Pakistan. Although I don't think their methods are the greatest.

By the way to the people who say we need you.. Scotland is what, less than 10% of the population of the UK. And we contribute a greater percentage than that to the kitty. And England needs stuff from Scotland too. If anything it's a mutual dependence, not Scotland needing England and England being kind enough to keep us on as a charity case.
    The problem with this issue is that the government doesn't hold tax receipts for Scotland and England separately - I tried to get this information once, about tax receipts and expenditure per head for those north and south of the border.

So there is difficulty for us ordinary folk to find out. However, I am confident in saying that England has a greater chance of survival outside of the Union due to London and the South East - Very rich.

But yes, there is mutual benefit in remaining in Union I think. I hope the history of the Union is taught in history lessons... it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Are the only arguments for the Union "power" in global terms?
    I don't think one need make an argument for the existence of a country. Indeed, if they did, then why focus on the British union? Why not the union of four kingdoms that brought Scotland into existence, or the seven that brought England into existence?

Besides, it is due to England that the UK is still a major world country.
    You might as well say that it is due to white people that the UK is still a major world country, since they form the overwhelming majority of the population. That, however, is arbitrary nonsense and ignores the individual contributions of millions of people.

It seems there are plenty of people in England who have a vision of Scotland as an economic basket-case: an odd combination of backward farming communities and welfare-dependent council estates. It simply isn't accurate. Indeed, in plenty of years recently Scotland has been economically outperforming England.

Still, the myth persists amongst English nationalist types - which is, I imagine, rather because they want to believe that instead of gaining a true reflection of what Scotland is like.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.