Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been told I can only work 20 hours a week as an international student (during term time) (I'm from Germany). So is that really true that the 20h also apply for EU students, because in most things EU students are equal with UK students.

What do I need if i want to work? I heard about National Insurance Number? Where/how do I get that?

What about taxes? When do I need to pay tax?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

ReputationRep:
    Your university will be able to help you get a National Insurance number if not go into a local Job Centre when you are here.

Your employer will pay your tax contributions, however its unlikey you will pay tax as you're a full time student.

I'm aware of the 20 hour rule for international students however I'm not sure about how it would affect you.

Your best bet though, is to speak to your university, they will be able to help you with all your questions.

ReputationRep:
    will you really have the time to work more than 20h a week? while being a full time student? i don't think i'd actually have the time for a job at all, i just have far too much going on! not that i'm allowed one anyway.

and your employer will sort out the whole tax side of things for you

ReputationRep:
    i don't know how much time i have.. i need to work though, no one is giving me money for free sadly or food :>
    thanks for your answers

ReputationRep:
    I thought that anyone from the EU was allowed to work as much as they wanted? I'm pretty sure this is the case, but maybe not with EU students :/

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.