Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The dominating force in Wuthering Heights is the desire for revenge. How far do you agree with this?

Replies will be greatly appreciated,
    Sarah xx

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know this may be your homework... :p: I disagree! Because when does Cathy want revenge? And isn't she Heathcliff's driving force?

ReputationRep:
    Wuthering Heights is a gothic novel, and the only novel by Emily Brontë. It was first published in 1847 under the pseudonym Ellis Bell, and a posthumous second edition was edited by her sister Charlotte.
    The name of the novel comes from the Yorkshire manor on the moors on which the story centres (as an adjective; wuthering is a Yorkshire word referring to turbulent weather). The narrative tells the tale of the all-encompassing and passionate, yet thwarted, love between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and many around them.
    Now considered a classic of English literature, Wuthering Heights met with mixed reviews by critics when it first appeared, mainly because of the narrative's stark depiction of mental and physical cruelty. Though Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre is generally considered the best of the Brontë sisters' works, many subsequent critics of Wuthering Heights argued that its originality and achievement made it superior. Wuthering Heights has also given rise to many adaptations and inspired works, including films, radio, television dramatisations, a musical by Bernard J. Taylor, ballet, opera, and song.

ReputationRep:
    I posted some stuff in here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post25562524

ReputationRep:
    just need to say how much i totally utterly adore this book! and i can recite a good 5 pages of it now

i wouldn't say the driving force is revenge though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    As far as I know this may be your homework... :p: I disagree! Because when does Cathy want revenge? And isn't she Heathcliff's driving force?
    Hehe, it is indeed my homework lol I just want varied opinions lol xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisispuremadness)
    just need to say how much i totally utterly adore this book! and i can recite a good 5 pages of it now

i wouldn't say the driving force is revenge though..
    Ahh I love the book as well It's the only book I've wanted to read again, immediately after finishing it

What do you think is the driving force in the novel? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)
    I posted some stuff in here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post25562524
    Thank you very much, I greatly appreciated it xxx

ReputationRep:
    I feel revenge is Heathcliffs driving force but he was be littled by Hindley as soon as he was adopted and then made a servant after Mr Ernshaws death. He had feelings for Catherine, friendship or lust??, and got the wrong end of the stick with her comment about him not having an education or status. Therefore, he has been out down most of his life and only feels hatred and seeks revenge.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.