The Student Room Group

I just want a job. Is that too much to ask for???

Hey guys!

I've been looking a job or nearly 3 years and I don't know what else to do.
I have applied for any role you can think off, to places way far away from home. I've done everything I possibly could do, I'm so desperate for a job :frown: but because I'm a student the working hours are quite a restriction and it's so hard to find weekend jobs.

I do actually have a job but I don't consider it much because it's only £12 a week as a dance teacher on a Primary school. I just want something that I could make at least £50 a week or something :/

So I guess I'm just asking for advice. I might be missing something or doing something wrong.

Any advice will be considered. thanks

Scroll to see replies

Want me to check your CV?! If you're on TSR I'll bet you're pretty intelligent but it might just be something simple that you've missed 'cause you've looked at it so often?

Also, couldn't you teach at another school or is that not possible? Thre's definitely fewer jobs around at the moment and I guess employers want people who can commit to lots of hours which is hard for us students! Sorry to hear you're having a rough time :frown:
Reply 2
vintage_007
Want me to check your CV?! If you're on TSR I'll bet you're pretty intelligent but it might just be something simple that you've missed 'cause you've looked at it so often?

Also, couldn't you teach at another school or is that not possible? Thre's definitely fewer jobs around at the moment and I guess employers want people who can commit to lots of hours which is hard for us students! Sorry to hear you're having a rough time :frown:

Yes I would like for you to check my CV because maybe it's not professional enough.
I can't teach another school because I finish college quite late on the other days of the week :/
Universities always want students as cleaners since they know you're going to be there anyway.

Sex line? I know a girl who does this for £8.12/hour. He basically sits in an office cubicle talking to pervs whole she's on facebook and she loves it coz it's so easy.
Reply 4
History-Student
Universities always want students as cleaners since they know you're going to be there anyway.
Sex line? I know a girl who does this for £8.12/hour. He basically sits in an office cubicle talking to pervs whole she's on facebook and she loves it coz it's so easy.

im still at college :/

sex line... hmm... interesting. why do i get into that?
katyness
Yes I would like for you to check my CV because maybe it's not professional enough.
I can't teach another school because I finish college quite late on the other days of the week :/

I'd be more than happy to - have restructured lots of my friends' CVs :smile: I'll PM you my email address :smile:

Ahh yeah, that's a bit of an issue... Maybe bar work in the union?
katyness

Colleges need cleaners too...

Ad I don't know, some mate from back home found it for her. Google "sex line jobs" maybe?
have you applied to be a bin woman yet? no? well you haven't applied to every role i can think of
Reply 8
Retail and bar work are common, the best advice i have is print off 50 CV's and apply everywhere, put your availability on. Also look on the Job Centre website everyday as well as Reed and Monster.
Reply 9
Rakas21
Retail and bar work are common, the best advice i have is print off 50 CV's and apply everywhere, put your availability on. Also look on the Job Centre website everyday as well as Reed and Monster.

I've been doing that. thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 10
VersaEmerge
have you applied to be a bin woman yet? no? well you haven't applied to every role i can think of

i have actually.
Reply 11
care job? they got massive shortage of people there.. you could even try to get a nightshift job and earn even more.. if you get one of those nightshift jobs where you just need to be there on standby you could even study while you work

how brilliant is that? :biggrin:

(i am currently starting to apply for that)
Reply 12
appel42
care job? they got massive shortage of people there.. you could even try to get a nightshift job and earn even more.. if you get one of those nightshift jobs where you just need to be there on standby you could even study while you work

how brilliant is that? :biggrin:

(i am currently starting to apply for that)

last time i applied to one of those, I had to have done a First Aid course, which I haven't :/
katyness

Most 'adult chat' whether on the phone or via text/online chat are actually very low paying - you have to work hard keeping your number of ppl and amount of time they stay on the line at a good target. You can see this on moneysavingexpert.com where that thread is all about making extra money from 'a saucey new job' but is so extensive it covers phones, texts, emails, online chat, webcams, etc. Its a lot like survey sites, you dont get much, it takes a long time to work up credits to transfer money into your account, not the easy thing everyone thinks etc.

Of course there are the ones as suggested before but those ridiculously simple, well-paid jobs are the exception not the rule.
(edited 13 years ago)
Everyone wants a job.

You could come and work for me.
Reply 15
kilowattjester
Everyone wants a job.

You could come and work for me.

as long as it is an honest job, I'm in
Reply 16
Jennie1987
Most 'adult chat' whether on the phone or via text/online chat are actually very low paying - you have to work hard keeping your number of ppl and amount of time they stay on the line at a good target. You can see this on moneysavingexpert.com where that thread is all about making extra money from 'a saucey new job' but is so extensive it covers phones, texts, emails, online chat, webcams, etc. Its a lot like survey sites, you dont get much, it takes a long time to work up credits to transfer money into your account, not the easy thing everyone thinks etc.

Of course there are the ones as suggested before but those ridiculously simple, well-paid jobs are the exception not the rule.

wow, thank u for ur reply. i'm scrapping that kind of job off my list then.
Reply 17
katyness
last time i applied to one of those, I had to have done a First Aid course, which I haven't :/

is that a problem? how expensive are they? try applying for another one? :biggrin:
Reply 18
katyness
Hey guys!

I've been looking a job or nearly 3 years and I don't know what else to do.
I have applied for any role you can think off, to places way far away from home. I've done everything I possibly could do, I'm so desperate for a job :frown: but because I'm a student the working hours are quite a restriction and it's so hard to find weekend jobs.

Lies.

There are jobs out there - you're not looking hard enough.
I am how you feel - it's hard getting jobs :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending