The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Anita B. Studin
Haha wait till you get to first order and second order differential equations in FP2, they have A LOT of trig from C3, I hate it :frown:

I visited Soton but their maths building was so depressing.

I feel like I'm taking huge risks with my choices now.

You know what's really fun? FP2 without C3 or C4. :p:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 221
Applying for Maths - G103

Got a bit scared by the A*A*A standard offer, with STEP. Though I've already got the A* in Maths (phew!)

I'm definately not looking forward to having to wait till March time for a rejection/offer. I hate not knowing!
ben05
I know what you mean about soton! i just love the city, plus i have a season ticket for the football which is a big push factor!!!! Oh god! you doing C3 atm? The trig is killing me, although im not doing the exam until june!

LOL nice incentives for applying.... did you go to the open day in september? I went to it and it was such a miserable day!

I was expecting like California weather with the beach and everything and :no: it was an ugly maths building. I didnt get time to look around the city much, maybe that wouldve changed my mind.

Yeah I'm doing C3 right now, just started the trig but i taught it to myself a couple of weeks ago, our fm teacher just magically expected to start all the difficult trig stuff they have without any C3 trig knowledge. But i kinda-ishhhh have gone better at it thanks to FP2. Why arent you doing it in Jan? I want to do M1 in jan too but i can't get my head around mechanics!
Jing_jing

I knowww Im going through that 'fun' right now lol. But atleast I'll be at an advantage for C3 and C4..
Anita B. Studin
I knowww Im going through that 'fun' right now lol. But atleast I'll be at an advantage for C3 and C4..

:biggrin: Yeah, that's the good part about it. The not so good part is when your teachers forget you've not done C3 or C4 and set you homeworks which need the knowledge :p: Actually, it's quite fun looking up stuff in C4 and sorting it out for myself XD

How are you finding FP2? It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be but we've not done any of the harder chapters yet.
Jing_jing
:biggrin: Yeah, that's the good part about it. The not so good part is when your teachers forget you've not done C3 or C4 and set you homeworks which need the knowledge :p: Actually, it's quite fun looking up stuff in C4 and sorting it out for myself XD

How are you finding FP2? It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be but we've not done any of the harder chapters yet.

I loved reading up stuff on C3 and C4 myself too, it was wayy more fun than just sitting there listening to the teacher, my one has a scary voice and it's so awkward in his lessons and what makes it worse is that there's only 4 of us in fm so yeah he focuses on each of us a little too much lol.

I'm finding FP2 really hard actually, the first 3 chapters are really smooth and everything's fine but I haaaate first order differential, the examples they give in the book is really easy and I could do everything upto the hard real exam questions it's a little :s-smilie:. Second order I'm finding it okay so far. I'm doing edexcel btw, are you? Where have you gotten upto?
Anita B. Studin
I loved reading up stuff on C3 and C4 myself too, it was wayy more fun than just sitting there listening to the teacher, my one has a scary voice and it's so awkward in his lessons and what makes it worse is that there's only 4 of us in fm so yeah he focuses on each of us a little too much lol.

I'm finding FP2 really hard actually, the first 3 chapters are really smooth and everything's fine but I haaaate first order differential, the examples they give in the book is really easy and I could do everything upto the hard real exam questions it's a little :s-smilie:. Second order I'm finding it okay so far. I'm doing edexcel btw, are you? Where have you gotten upto?

:p: Think you have it bad, there's one whole person in my FM lessons XD I quite like it though, my relationships with my FM teachers are really nice, they're both lovely and we end up having a bit of a chat sometimes, and they offer to give me lifts to/from maths related things if I'm having trouble getting to of from there.

I've not tried first order differentials, I don't have that joy till FP3 as I'm on OCR. On the other hand, M3 kills killing me D8
I've only covered partial fractions and their graphs, polar graphs and a bit of hyperbolics (which we started and gave up on because it was getting ridiculous without C3 and C4). Just started series and intergrals today.
Jing_jing
:p: Think you have it bad, there's one whole person in my FM lessons XD I quite like it though, my relationships with my FM teachers are really nice, they're both lovely and we end up having a bit of a chat sometimes, and they offer to give me lifts to/from maths related things if I'm having trouble getting to of from there.

I've not tried first order differentials, I don't have that joy till FP3 as I'm on OCR. On the other hand, M3 kills killing me D8
I've only covered partial fractions and their graphs, polar graphs and a bit of hyperbolics (which we started and gave up on because it was getting ridiculous without C3 and C4). Just started series and intergrals today.

Oh cool so your like the only person in your fm lessons? I also like the fact that there's only four of us its nice and we chat a lot too. It's jus that one creepy teacher. Do you go to any further maths programmes? I go to some in London..

:O you're doing M3? How can you stand mechanics? lol I've already started hating M1! I have to do M2 soon though :frown: I'm really not looking forward to it
Anita B. Studin
Oh cool so your like the only person in your fm lessons? I also like the fact that there's only four of us its nice and we chat a lot too. It's jus that one creepy teacher. Do you go to any further maths programmes? I go to some in London..

:O you're doing M3? How can you stand mechanics? lol I've already started hating M1! I have to do M2 soon though :frown: I'm really not looking forward to it

Yeah, it was pretty awkward at first, but I love my further maths lessons now! My core teacher said to me the other day that I was welcome to do whatever I liked in my core lessons provided I understood the lesson she was teacher and it was something maths related instead :biggrin:

Further maths programmes! I didn't even know they existed! There's some pretty cool sounding maths lectures at London going on soon though but they're so expesive!

I HATE MECHANICS. ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. EUGH, MY HATE FOR MECHANICS CANNOT BE EXPRESSED ENOUGH (okay lets hope admissions tutors don't patrol TSR eh) :p:
God knows why I chose it. I don't understand any of it and I'm being taught through the Further maths network online.
Jing_jing
Yeah, it was pretty awkward at first, but I love my further maths lessons now! My core teacher said to me the other day that I was welcome to do whatever I liked in my core lessons provided I understood the lesson she was teacher and it was something maths related instead :biggrin:

Further maths programmes! I didn't even know they existed! There's some pretty cool sounding maths lectures at London going on soon though but they're so expesive!

I HATE MECHANICS. ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. EUGH, MY HATE FOR MECHANICS CANNOT BE EXPRESSED ENOUGH (okay lets hope admissions tutors don't patrol TSR eh) :p:
God knows why I chose it. I don't understand any of it and I'm being taught through the Further maths network online.

Well I don't know whether these further maths programmes are just in london or elsewhere too. But definately there are A LOT of these in London, like they do Fp2, c3, m1, m2...etc. courses at unis like Imperial, QMU, Kingston and it's quite helpful. They give you exam tips and practise a lot of exam questions.

I'm soo glad I found someone who hates mechanics too! Everyone in my FM disses me for loving stats and economics and I'm apparently a 'maths traitor' because stats isnt real maths lol it's hilarious all the stuff we argue about in FM...but we're applying for MMORSe, arent we like allowed to hate mechanics or something?
Anita B. Studin
Well I don't know whether these further maths programmes are just in london or elsewhere too. But definitely there are A LOT of these in London, like they do Fp2, c3, m1, m2...etc. courses at unis like Imperial, QMU, Kingston and it's quite helpful. They give you exam tips and practise a lot of exam questions.

I'm soo glad I found someone who hates mechanics too! Everyone in my FM disses me for loving stats and economics and I'm apparently a 'maths traitor' because stats isnt real maths lol it's hilarious all the stuff we argue about in FM...but we're applying for MMORSe, arent we like allowed to hate mechanics or something?

Ooh, those sound really helpful! It would be great to go to some FP or Mechanics ones!

... heh, I hate stats too :p: Actually no, I find it boring and a bit too number pluggy for my tastes really. My love is defiantely for pure maths, I love core and I love FP too although FP gives me hours of tearing out my hair and growling infrustration. It sound so cliche and geeky but I honestly find a lot of pure maths truly beautiful! *crawls into a hole and hides from embarrasment for the next 20 years*
Jing_jing
Ooh, those sound really helpful! It would be great to go to some FP or Mechanics ones!

... heh, I hate stats too :p: Actually no, I find it boring and a bit too number pluggy for my tastes really. My love is defiantely for pure maths, I love core and I love FP too although FP gives me hours of tearing out my hair and growling infrustration. It sound so cliche and geeky but I honestly find a lot of pure maths truly beautiful! *crawls into a hole and hides from embarrasment for the next 20 years*

Awwww nooo dont hide! You're liek the first person ever who's open admitted that (besides personal statements) I agree with you too, I love pure maths and I make like the lamest maths jokes everrrrr.

(oh god this is such a lame joke that my fm friends and I made up but I just have to tell you because you seem like the type to laugh at maths jokes? but feel free to think I'm a geek/freak lol) :

*when you finish first order differential equation reread this joke*

What did the 1st order diff equation say to secx.dy/dx + secxtanx.y= 0?

"damn, you're secxy"

I should probably go start digging a hole to hide in...
(edited 13 years ago)
Anita B. Studin
Awwww nooo dont hide! You're liek the first person ever who's open admitted that (besides personal statements) I agree with you too, I love pure maths and I make like the lamest maths jokes everrrrr.

(oh god this is such a lame joke that my fm friends and I made up but I just have to tell you because you seem like the type to laugh at maths jokes? but feel free to think I'm a geek/freak lol) :

*when you finish first order differential equation reread this joke*

What did the 1st order diff equation say to secx.dy/dx + secxtanx.y= 0?

"damn, you're secxy"

I should probably go start digging a hole to hide in...

I think I quite possibly love you 8D

My maths teacher and I exclaim over maths questions all the time! I remember we she was showing me some hyperbolic identity using first principals and we got the the end after about 2 pages of shuffling terms around and substuting, and both exclaimed 'it's so cute' at the resulting identity :biggrin:

:p: You can share the hole that I just dug to hide in? We can look up maths jokes together :biggrin: Because that makes us cool!
Maths chat up lines are actually hilarious though!
I'm applying to Management
Jing_jing
I think I quite possibly love you 8D

My maths teacher and I exclaim over maths questions all the time! I remember we she was showing me some hyperbolic identity using first principals and we got the the end after about 2 pages of shuffling terms around and substuting, and both exclaimed 'it's so cute' at the resulting identity :biggrin:

:p: You can share the hole that I just dug to hide in? We can look up maths jokes together :biggrin: Because that makes us cool!
Maths chat up lines are actually hilarious though!

OMG I love maths chat up lines! It's never been tried on me though :frown: if a guy came up to me with a good maths chat up line I might actually give him my number...

And yeah we should totally look it up together :biggrin:... Ive had this plan of making a top with a maths joke on it for quite a while now (I know its lame for the normal world) but I saw this really cool one with a hyperbola and an arrow pointing to the asymptote saying "can't touch this" and there were other ones saying "life is complex : it has real and imaginary parts" lol I just love them!
Anita B. Studin
OMG I love maths chat up lines! It's never been tried on me though :frown: if a guy came up to me with a good maths chat up line I might actually give him my number...

And yeah we should totally look it up together :biggrin:... Ive had this plan of making a top with a maths joke on it for quite a while now (I know its lame for the normal world) but I saw this really cool one with a hyperbola and an arrow pointing to the asymptote saying "can't touch this" and there were other ones saying "life is complex : it has real and imaginary parts" lol I just love them!

How is it I know so many digits of pi but not the digits of your number :p:
Totally agreed though! Maths chat up lines would so totally work one me! :biggrin:

... I WAS GOING TO DO THAT OVER THE SUMMER! (Before I found out I had to go to China for two months!). I found this really cool T-shirt tranfer paper which you can print onto using a computer and then iron straight onto a cotton T shirt! We should have a maths get together sometime! (Okay, just reread that and I'm praying none of my friends are on TSR, they've never quite understood the beauty of maths :p:)

I love the 'be rational' 'get real' cartoon as well, although I've not found one with a nice design. Might get my friend to draw it out for me as she's amazing at art! I love the 'life is complex' line though!

I'm going to be awkward and say that actally asymptotes can be crossed :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 236
Hey all,

New to this thread. I'm a mature student and i'm applying for Law at Warwick for entry in 2011.

Currently on an Access to Higher Education course, doing Law and Psychology. Warwick have told me their standard offer is 53 Level 3 credits Merit (seemed a bit low to me as I would probably say that would be equivelant of BBB at A-Level), but I've sent my UCAS application off and I'm sure I'll hear back from them in due course with a proper offer!

I'm feeling somewhat intimidated here by all the highly qualified applicants who are being predicted A*A*A etc in their A levels, despite myself being predicted 60 credits @ Distinction - I guess I've just been out of education for a while!

Good luck to all those applying, might well meet some of you if I end up there in 2011! :smile:
Jing_jing

This! Especially since half my FM class has done the C3 trig and half of us haven't, so our teacher will get halfway through a lesson before realising she has to teach us the trig first....
Reply 238
Anita B. Studin
LOL nice incentives for applying.... did you go to the open day in september? I went to it and it was such a miserable day!

I was expecting like California weather with the beach and everything and :no: it was an ugly maths building. I didnt get time to look around the city much, maybe that wouldve changed my mind.

Yeah I'm doing C3 right now, just started the trig but i taught it to myself a couple of weeks ago, our fm teacher just magically expected to start all the difficult trig stuff they have without any C3 trig knowledge. But i kinda-ishhhh have gone better at it thanks to FP2. Why arent you doing it in Jan? I want to do M1 in jan too but i can't get my head around mechanics!

yer the one on the 8th ! It looked horrible from the outside, and all those stairs!

haha trig is not good. Doing c 3 and 4 in june. Got 4 exams in jan.

History retake, i got an A but they want me to retake :s-smilie: got bullied into it by my history teacher:woo:
Retaking D1 cause i got a C in it :s-smilie: but manged to scrape an A overal :rolleyes:

Then got M1 and FP1, you got much in jan?
Reply 239
I'm applying for Law M108 (Year Abroad in English) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest