Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Van_der_Waals)
    Yay for physics, see you there :P

=D haha im liking your user name btw, even if a lil bit geeky =P but geekiness is good haha.

What camb college are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Looked at your grades and they are good! Why are you not applying for Oxford!
    Thanks. Apparently for Oxbridge you need 6 or more A*s at GCSE and I didn't get that. Also I only did 3 AS to ensure I got AAA but most people will probably have 4 A's at AS and will continue them all to A2. (Although I'm self teaching AS FM to get an 3.5 A levels.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca :))
    If you stand a good chance of getting an A* then they should predict you it! I'm applying to Cambridge, so I had to be predicted at least one in something to stand a chance
    You don't have to be predicted any A*s to get an offer from Cambridge. From the St John's College website:
    "We recognise that making accurate A* predictions will be difficult for schools/colleges in the early years of this new grade. We will therefore not be placing any weight on whether or not a school/college predicts an A* and applicants will not be rejected just because they are not predicted to achieve any A* grades. Those applicants whose AS performance make the achievement of an A* look a remote possibility, however, are unlikely to be successful unless there are mitigating circumstances that explain why their AS performance does not properly reflect their true potential."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    You don't have to be predicted any A*s to get an offer from Cambridge. From the St John's College website:
    "We recognise that making accurate A* predictions will be difficult for schools/colleges in the early years of this new grade. We will therefore not be placing any weight on whether or not a school/college predicts an A* and applicants will not be rejected just because they are not predicted to achieve any A* grades. Those applicants whose AS performance make the achievement of an A* look a remote possibility, however, are unlikely to be successful unless there are mitigating circumstances that explain why their AS performance does not properly reflect their true potential."
    ok, ok I didn't mean that if you didn't get predicted an A* you wouldn't get an offer! It can't harm though and I would have thought that it would strengthen your application, if only marginally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirky743)
    =D haha im liking your user name btw, even if a lil bit geeky =P but geekiness is good haha.

What camb college are you applying for?
    Why thank you , I think being on TSR is possibly a little bit geeky anyway :P
    I'm thinking Corpus Christi for Cambridge, in the end it was between there and Queens, but Corpus Christi just appeals to me more.

ReputationRep:
    Why thank you , I think being on TSR is possibly a little bit geeky anyway :P
    I'm thinking Corpus Christi for Cambridge, in the end it was between there and Queens, but Corpus Christi just appeals to me more.
    Ooh, I'm going for Corpus too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freerider101)
    Thanks. Apparently for Oxbridge you need 6 or more A*s at GCSE and I didn't get that. Also I only did 3 AS to ensure I got AAA but most people will probably have 4 A's at AS and will continue them all to A2. (Although I'm self teaching AS FM to get an 3.5 A levels.)
    Woh, woh, woh!!

For physics at Oxford, they send you the "Physics Aptitude Test" which you do at your school. Then you get an interview depending on whether you get higher than a certain mark (About 50% normally...) They judge nearly 99% just on those two things. They said they dont care whether you doing 4, 5, 6+ A-Levels, as long as you get your 3A's (They even told us a guy with 13A* at GCSE and 6 A grade A2's was rejected once)

Also, they might only look at your GCSE's when you are quite close between another candidate. Physics is one of those subjects at Oxford where they test you on your ability rather than UMS marks etc.

Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jing_jing)
    Ooh, I'm going for Corpus too!
    Woop!
    Don't count on seeing me there though, because I probably won't get in :p:

ReputationRep:
    Civil Engineering Meng!!!

ReputationRep:
    Woop!
    Don't count on seeing me there though, because I probably won't get in :p:
    Me neither, perhaps we can host a 'Corpus Rejects' Comisseration party? At the moment my only plans for late December/early January when the rejection letters come through is holing up in bed with nutella and really bad daytime TV/cheesy movies :p:

We could go to this though:
    http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-d...by-leslie.html

ReputationRep:
    Its in Coventry and so 30 mins away from Brum. Thats chillin'.

ReputationRep:
    Me neither, perhaps we can host a 'Corpus Rejects' Comisseration party? At the moment my only plans for late December/early January when the rejection letters come through is holing up in bed with nutella and really bad daytime TV/cheesy movies :p:

We could go to this though:
    http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-d...by-leslie.html

Sounds like a plan, who needs an education at Cambridge when you can be eating nutella in front of Loose Women or Jeremy Kyle :p:
    We could always hide under the tables when the dining experience finishes, and not go home

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan, who needs an education at Cambridge when you can be eating nutella in front of Loose Women or Jeremy Kyle :p:
    We could always hide under the tables when the dining experience finishes, and not go home
    Exactly, our plan gives us life skills e.g. If and your partner have an arguement, the best way to go about solving it is to go onto daytime TV :p:

Haha, yes! We're students here... honest <___<''

I do love Corpus though, it wasn't actually a college I was considering but then I had to really narrow them down because I didn't take physics for AS and Corpus grew and grew on me! I was dithering between Corpus and Kings but the Harry Potter thing swayed me I think :p:

Annway... back to Warwick :p: I've never been to visit (fully booked open days) but it sounds really beautiful. Pity their standard offer is so terrifying!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Applying to do Maths

ReputationRep:
    I'm possibly applying. I'm not sure - I went to the open day yesterday and still can't decide :rolleyes:

(Original post by bubble11)
    Hello all I'm applying for English Lit & Creative Writing and I probably have about zero chance of getting an offer but you never know, a miracle could happen :rolleyes:
    Out of interest, d'you mind telling me what your GCSE results were? If I do apply I'll be a straight Englisher but I think my GCSEs are pretty pap in comparison to the majority of applicants...

(Original post by bubble11)
    I really wanted to go to the open day but it was fully booked when I went on the website
    I went anyway and got in on the English talk :ninja: Slightly risky given that I travelled 3 hours to gets there, but worth it

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, our plan gives us life skills e.g. If and your partner have an arguement, the best way to go about solving it is to go onto daytime TV :p:

Haha, yes! We're students here... honest <___<''

I do love Corpus though, it wasn't actually a college I was considering but then I had to really narrow them down because I didn't take physics for AS and Corpus grew and grew on me! I was dithering between Corpus and Kings but the Harry Potter thing swayed me I think :p:

Annway... back to Warwick :p: I've never been to visit (fully booked open days) but it sounds really beautiful. Pity their standard offer is so terrifying!
    Haha, brilliant!
    I went to the Warwick open day yesterday, and yeah it was great, although I did get lost about 20 times, despite having a map :p:
    Warwick's my first choice after Cambridge, so hopefully after recieving my Cambridge rejection, I'll recieve an offer from Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Applying for MORSE! Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Applying for MORSE! Can't wait!
    me too
    Do you have Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anita B. Studin)
    me too
    Do you have Further Maths?
    Yep

And I remember you from the oxford thread! :woo:
    Hopefully we get in for both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vekeh)
    I'm possibly applying. I'm not sure - I went to the open day yesterday and still can't decide :rolleyes:

Out of interest, d'you mind telling me what your GCSE results were? If I do apply I'll be a straight Englisher but I think my GCSEs are pretty pap in comparison to the majority of applicants...

I went anyway and got in on the English talk :ninja: Slightly risky given that I travelled 3 hours to gets there, but worth it
    Ahh I should've just done that! I just didn't bother because on the website it made a big deal out of how you not only had to book for the open day, but for individual talks too :rolleyes:

I bet your GCSEs are better than mine. Mine are laughable compared to all the straight A* students they get applying :p: I got A*AAAABBBC which is why it's pretty crazy of me to bother applying to Warwick for such a competitive course but hey why not have one completely crazy choice :p: I've also been told that they really consider your personal statement as a very important part of the application so I'm hoping I can make mine amazing

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.