Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to Newcastle for medicine as a 2011 applicant.

My mum would like me to stay at home for the first year, and then transfer to student accomodation in the 2nd year? Is that even possible? Do you not have to state at the start whether you want to live at home, or at the student accomodation for the full 5 years?

So say if that was allowed, is it worth staying at home for the first year? Will I be saving a lot of money? Plus isnt that the year where I make friends etc, like the foundation yr of uni etc? Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebra12345)
    I am applying to Newcastle for medicine as a 2011 applicant.

My mum would like me to stay at home for the first year, and then transfer to student accomodation in the 2nd year? Is that even possible? Do you not have to state at the start whether you want to live at home, or at the student accomodation for the full 5 years?

So say if that was allowed, is it worth staying at home for the first year? Will I be saving a lot of money? Plus isnt that the year where I make friends etc, like the foundation yr of uni etc? Thanks for your help
    After the first year you must live in rented accomodation. Normally this is done with other students to cover the costs, and being in halls is a great way to meet future flatmates. You only get student accomodation, university halls, for the first year in most places!

Not to mention I believe on your UCAS form it asks whether or not you're living at home, there's not "one year at home, rest away" option. You've already covered possible social issues. Not to mention the mess with Student Finance! (You get less money living at home, and I'm not certain if you can change)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    After the first year you must live in rented accomodation. Normally this is done with other students to cover the costs, and being in halls is a great way to meet future flatmates. You only get student accomodation, university halls, for the first year in most places!

Not to mention I believe on your UCAS form it asks whether or not you're living at home, there's not "one year at home, rest away" option. You've already covered possible social issues. Not to mention the mess with Student Finance! (You get less money living at home, and I'm not certain if you can change)
    So basically, for the first year newcastle uni will provide free accomodation? Then in the 2nd year we all have to move out?

Hence if the uni provides free accomodation for the first year, i.e free rent, then I might as well stay in the uni accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    So basically, for the first year newcastle uni will provide free accomodation? Then in the 2nd year we all have to move out?

Hence if the uni provides free accomodation for the first year, i.e free rent, then I might as well stay in the uni accomodation?
    Oh, it's not free. But it's usually cheap enough that you can happily pay for it yourself with the student loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Oh, it's not free. But it's usually cheap enough that you can happily pay for it yourself with the student loan.
    So basically by staying at home all Im saving is the student loan for the first year, plus money for food etc From a social aspect, will ppl in uni think Im weird etc for staying at home, or should that not be problem?

Personally I dont know any one who has stayed at home.

So basically by staying at home all Im saving is the student loan for the first year, plus money for food etc From a social aspect, will ppl in uni think Im weird etc for staying at home, or should that not be problem?

Personally I dont know any one who has stayed at home.
    Quite a few people on my course live at home - it's certainly the sensible option financially. As long as your parents are relaxed about you being out late it shouldn't impede your social life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.