Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can one do this? Any recommend books..etc?

ReputationRep:
    What level are you doing?

Just get in loads of practise.

ReputationRep:
    practice practice practice, even the most incompetent at maths can get A grades with a good dollop of hard work, trust me i've seen it in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    just practise really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS level further maths.

Well that would depend on what you mean by 'good at maths'...

If you're looking to increase your grades at school, then I'd suggest practicing exam papers. If, however, you're talking about serious mathematical ability, then I'm afraid that's a gift from the heavens.

ReputationRep:
    I heard the chinese routinely eat calculators for breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    When you're in class, pay attention and try to participate. Take good notes as well. If there's anything you don't understand, make sure you ask the teacher about it straight away. Then read your notes after class and make sure you do all the homework on time, and if you get anything wrong make sure you understand why it's wrong and how to get it right.

In short, be really diligent in class and at home about understanding everything and getting it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derangedyoshi)
    When you're in class, pay attention and try to participate. Take good notes as well. If there's anything you don't understand, make sure you ask the teacher about it straight away. Then read your notes after class and make sure you do all the homework on time, and if you get anything wrong make sure you understand why it's wrong and how to get it right.

In short, be really diligent in class and at home about understanding everything and getting it right.
    That will not make you good at maths... Getting high marks ≠ good mathematician.
    Things like Senior maths challenge and BMO can make help you improve your mathematical thinking but if you can't do those questions in the first place then you should just accept that maths it not your thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    That will not make you good at maths... Getting high marks ≠ good mathematician.
    Things like Senior maths challenge and BMO can make help you improve your mathematical thinking but if you can't do those questions in the first place then you should just accept that maths it not your thing.
    True - as OP is asking about AS Level I assumed that getting higher marks was what he was after. But you're right, what I said isn't going to improve your problem solving skills particularly, it's more about learning the course material so you can do well in exams.

ReputationRep:
    but if you can't do those questions in the first place then you should just accept that maths it not your thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Any suggestions rather than just slating my opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions rather than just slating my opinion?
    Just going to slate your opinion to be honest. I would offer a proper rebuttal, but since it's a "generally accepted fact" that there is a maths "gene" and I don't see how changing your mind will benefit the world.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep trying harder questions - make trying a Maths question something you want to do as a challenge, rather than thinking it will be homework.

If you start to enjoy Maths it becomes easier and then things just start to relate and make sense, then it all clicks into place.

ReputationRep:
    Just going to slate your opinion to be honest. I would offer a proper rebuttal, but since it's a "generally accepted fact" that there is a maths "gene" and I don't see how changing your mind will benefit the world.
    I wasn't asking you to change my mind at all (not sure how you were planning to do that either)...
    If there's a maths gene as you're suggesting, then isn't my point valid?
    I don't feel like discussing my opinion further tbh because that's all it is, an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't asking you to change my mind at all (not sure how you were planning to do that either)...
    I don't feel like discussing my opinion further tbh because that's all it is, an opinion.
    My point is that there isn't a maths gene, and that "generally accepted fact" which was implicit in what you were saying is ********.

ReputationRep:
    I think he was being sarcastic.. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that there isn't a maths gene, and that "generally accepted fact" which was implicit in what you were saying is ********.
    I hope you're not suggesting that anyone can just pick up a pen, do a few questions and become good at maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    you should be able to get through A level maths easily just by revision, past papers etc, theres no real talent needed until it gets to degree level

btw you have a picture of my apartment in your sig, do i know you ?

ReputationRep:
    being good at math means taht a part of your brain is good at handling mathematical formulas or something like that.Afraid you are either born with it or you aren't.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.