Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR,

Completely ignore the thread title. Threads in this bit of the forum only get read with that kind of title! Ok, so moving on to the body of my actual post. I'm reapplying this year to do politics and philosophy, and I'm in a bit of a tizz about making the choice of where to go. I don't want to be more than 2, maybe 3 at a long shot hours from london. I have A* A C A2 grades, which I'm pretty darn happy with.

Seeing as I have my grades, how much of a range of places do you think I should apply to? I'm considering at the moment Bristol, Goldsmiths, Sussex with Portsmouth as my reserve. I'd need another uni, and I'm very worried about London prices for accommodation seeing as I wouldn't get halls.

Anyone have any advice about Bristol? It looks a great great uni, but I've heard their admissions are very tight. Do you think I'd get in with my grades and a strong PS? On that note, what's the best way to write my PS about PP when i've never studied philosophy in college; just immense personal interest. So many problems, so little time!

Just looking for some help with my choices, and I'll most certainly rep anyone who gives any useful information.

Pre-emptive cheers, TSR.

ReputationRep:
    bristol ask for 3 As i think, i don't know why not email them and ask. your unis look good, but why can't you get halls if you're in london?

as for the personal statement, i wrote mine on history and didn't really mention anything to do with what i'd studied at school. write about what you've done that can convey your interest in philosophy and politics.

what about reading uni? royal holloway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toofaforu)
    bristol ask for 3 As i think, i don't know why not email them and ask. your unis look good, but why can't you get halls if you're in london?

as for the personal statement, i wrote mine on history and didn't really mention anything to do with what i'd studied at school. write about what you've done that can convey your interest in philosophy and politics.

what about reading uni? royal holloway?
    Don't really like the idea of either!

Bristol's more of a 'what-if' scenario. I can't get halls in london because I live about 25 mins from the centre :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    Hey TSR,

Completely ignore the thread title. Threads in this bit of the forum only get read with that kind of title! Ok, so moving on to the body of my actual post. I'm reapplying this year to do politics and philosophy, and I'm in a bit of a tizz about making the choice of where to go. I don't want to be more than 2, maybe 3 at a long shot hours from london. I have A* A C A2 grades, which I'm pretty darn happy with.

Seeing as I have my grades, how much of a range of places do you think I should apply to? I'm considering at the moment Bristol, Goldsmiths, Sussex with Portsmouth as my reserve. I'd need another uni, and I'm very worried about London prices for accommodation seeing as I wouldn't get halls.

Anyone have any advice about Bristol? It looks a great great uni, but I've heard their admissions are very tight. Do you think I'd get in with my grades and a strong PS? On that note, what's the best way to write my PS about PP when i've never studied philosophy in college; just immense personal interest. So many problems, so little time!

Just looking for some help with my choices, and I'll most certainly rep anyone who gives any useful information.

Pre-emptive cheers, TSR.
    Your thread title may have been eye-catching, but it was also likely to generate unhelpful replies, so I have edited it.

You might find the links in my sig helpful. In the end, no-one can assess your chances of an offer, even if on the face of it you meet the entry criteria for a given uni.

As far as Bristol is concerned, you need to check out whether they would consider you with a C rather than a B in your third subject. An email to admissions would clarify this quickly. They may not be willing to consider trading off the B against your A*, but then again they might. Also, check out their admissions statements (where they set out what they are looking for - Bristol do this particularly well) which you can link to from the UCAS course entry for Philosophy and Politics.

Birmingham want ABB for their Philosophy and Political Science course, UEA want ABB-BBB for their Philosophy and Politics. Essex want 300-320 points (strong Politics department). Kent also want 320 points. Again, for Brum and UEA you'd need to check if they'll accept less than a B in one subject traded-off against the A*.

As far as the PS goes, it's really important show the interest in philosophy if you haven't studied it, but you won't be at a particular disadvantage because you haven't as not that many people do get the opportunity to do it at A level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.