Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling Left Out at Uni watch

I came to uni today and I'm feeling low, because my new flatmates are very cliquey and I just don't seem to fit in with them at all. I missed the first night out because there was no one to go with but I don't want to be a social hermit and I don't know what to do. I have tried very hard in conversation and it's not their faults at all it's just we don't seem to 'work'. Feeling very lonely right now and want to enjoy fresher's week but don't know how to go out if I don't know anyone.

ReputationRep:
    just go out by yourself and meet people at the clubs/parties

join some sports clubs, i'm sure they're all doing socials at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Be brave i'd say, so what if you don't quite click with your housemates, they'll be plenty of other people you'll have lots in common with on your course/other halls. I'm starting University tomorrow rather nervous, but excited in the same away. Looking forward to being busy/learning again after a huge summer off.

I know I'll eventually meet like minded people and become friends with them but I don't know what to do at the freshers events I paid for and was excited for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I came to uni today and I'm feeling low, because my new flatmates are very cliquey and I just don't seem to fit in with them at all. I missed the first night out because there was no one to go with but I don't want to be a social hermit and I don't know what to do. I have tried very hard in conversation and it's not their faults at all it's just we don't seem to 'work'. Feeling very lonely right now and want to enjoy fresher's week but don't know how to go out if I don't know anyone.
    This is me. Sucks doesnt it?

ReputationRep:
    I know I'll eventually meet like minded people and become friends with them but I don't know what to do at the freshers events I paid for and was excited for.
    just go to them by yourself. find friends there!

ReputationRep:
    I thought freshers week was ****, because I was in the same situation until my flatmates made the effort to talk to me (bad I know, but I was just so scared for some reason). Hang in there, don't go home because you won't come back, and just trust me that after the first week or so, everything magically seems perfect.

(Original post by olly_springs)
    I thought freshers week was ****, because I was in the same situation until my flatmates made the effort to talk to me (bad I know, but I was just so scared for some reason). Hang in there, don't go home because you won't come back, and just trust me that after the first week or so, everything magically seems perfect.
    Promise? I have my boyfriend at the same uni which makes it like 1000000000000000x better so I shouldn't be moaning too much but I'd prefer to make my own friends than have him make my friends for me

(Original post by impossible!)
    This is me. Sucks doesnt it?
    Yeah I did ask for a mixed flat coz I get on better with boys but didn't get it

ReputationRep:
    Promise? I have my boyfriend at the same uni which makes it like 1000000000000000x better so I shouldn't be moaning too much but I'd prefer to make my own friends than have him make my friends for me
    100%, and when I went I didn't know a single person there, if you've got your bf that already makes things better. I'm heading back for my second year tomorrow and literally cannot wait, but I know if I'd gone home in the first couple of weeks I'd never have gone back there. Try and get out your room as much as you can and don't ignore people from your floor when you see them, try to chat when it seems appropriate and get involved with societies, but most importantly just relax. Oh and one more thing that all my friends agreed on when we knew each other a bit better, is that regardless whether people deal with it by going over the top or staying in, everyone feels the same, I know you won't believe that because it's hard to when everyone seems to be having a good time, but it's true.

Hang in there and be patient.

(Original post by olly_springs)
    100%, and when I went I didn't know a single person there, if you've got your bf that already makes things better. I'm heading back for my second year tomorrow and literally cannot wait, but I know if I'd gone home in the first couple of weeks I'd never have gone back there. Try and get out your room as much as you can and don't ignore people from your floor when you see them, try to chat when it seems appropriate and get involved with societies, but most importantly just relax. Oh and one more thing that all my friends agreed on when we knew each other a bit better, is that regardless whether people deal with it by going over the top or staying in, everyone feels the same, I know you won't believe that because it's hard to when everyone seems to be having a good time, but it's true.

Hang in there and be patient.
    thankyou :')

ReputationRep:
    if your boyfriends there then you're lucky in a way - already have someone that you can rely on. if you don't make any friends with your flat mates then just go out with him and his mates at first. don't isolate yourself though. don't want to be pessimistic but if/when you guys break up you don't wanna be stuck with no friends!

make the effort with people. even if you feel like a bit of an idiot inviting yourself along.. just go and have fun. i'm sure the vast majority of people are more than willing to make new friends.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou :')
    No probs

ReputationRep:
    This is my worry im in an all girl flat & i move in tomorrow. I added the girls in my flat on facebook so i've spoken to them there, but im worried that they've all clicked together (as they're there already & have been spending nights clubbing together) and now im the late comer and i dont go clubbing they might just not bother with me :unsure: ah well only one way to find out..

ReputationRep:
    freshers' week isn't all its cracked up to be.
    you're not going to meet more people in one week than you will during your entire time there!
    go to freshers' fairs if your uni does them, join societies, hang out with your flat mates more, talk to the people you sit next to in lectures, chat with people in tutorials...
    you will meet people.
    i've only been at uni for a week and i've met loads of people, a couple of which are now proper friends
    you'll be fine!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    dont close your door to everyone by being in your room all the time
    even if you dont get on great with the people next to you its not the end of the world
    try other corridors or something, you might even meet people when you are out
    and once uni starts, everyone will settle down, clubs will start and it will all fall into place
    good luck and try not to let it get you down

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who complains about their flatmates on here says they're too cliquey. What is this supposed to mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Everyone who complains about their flatmates on here says they're too cliquey. What is this supposed to mean?
    I assume it means it appears their flatmates may already know each other and so have formed this tight group right of the bat, seemingly ignoring the one left out. Although it could be they're not sure how to deal with the one left out, as the one left out hasn't made as much effort, or is naturally introverted and shy where as their flatmates are party animals.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.