Turn on thread page Beta

Queen Mary or Goldsmiths for psychology? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Queen Mary or Goldsmiths?
    Queen Mary university
    84.62%
    Goldsmiths
    15.38%

ReputationRep:
    OK, I have one more choice to make in my UCAS application and I have to choose between Queen Mary or Goldsmiths but I don't know which one to choose!

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd pick Queen Mary if I was choosing pyschology I think Queen Mary's is more academic than Goldsmith, Goldsmith's is better for art and creative subjects but that's just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd123)
    Personally, I'd pick Queen Mary if I was choosing pyschology I think Queen Mary's is more academic than Goldsmith, Goldsmith's is better for art and creative subjects but that's just my opinion
    Yeah I thought so too when I saw their website, but when I looked at their psychology program it seemed some of the modules were very academic and over lapped with Queen Mary's modules. The only major difference is that they're more focused on the music side.

Thanks for you're reply

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary definitely! I think they ask for higher grades but I know a bunch of people who have studied there, both for Psychology and other degrees and it's a great university. It also has a better reputation so if you've got the grades, go for QMUL definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twib110)
    Queen Mary definitely! I think they ask for higher grades but I know a bunch of people who have studied there, both for Psychology and other degrees and it's a great university. It also has a better reputation so if you've got the grades, go for QMUL definitely
    The entry requirements are the same but if it has better reputation then QMUL it is then, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Neither are particularly known for their Psych departments. Where else are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Neither are particularly known for their Psych departments. Where else are you applying?
    Leicester
    Southampton (not sure about this one)
    Birmingham
    Plymouth

What do you think? Do you recommend any other unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Leicester
    Southampton (not sure about this one)
    Birmingham
    Plymouth

What do you think? Do you recommend any other unis?
    What grades are you hoping for?

ReputationRep:
    What grades are you hoping for?
    AAB (hopefully), but I didn't get good grades at GCSE and I only have a C at maths

ReputationRep:
    AAB (hopefully), but I didn't get good grades at GCSE and I only have a C at maths
    With AAB, I would be considering universities like York, Bristol, Notts (although they might want B GCSE Maths), Rhul, Kent.

Other than Birmingham, I think you're undershooting your applications slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Go for Sheffield! I know they're AAB, but I dont think that they ask for anything higher than a C at GCSE level for maths/science.

ReputationRep:
    With AAB, I would be considering universities like York, Bristol, Notts (although they might want B GCSE Maths), Rhul, Kent.

Other than Birmingham, I think you're undershooting your applications slightly.
    I was also thinking of Kent but they all require a B in maths so I have no other choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KG*)
    Go for Sheffield! I know they're AAB, but I dont think that they ask for anything higher than a C at GCSE level for maths/science.
    I'm not sure, I already have enough universities with AAB, I looked at their prospectus and I'm not really sure. I know you don't do psychology but do you know anything about their psychology course?

ReputationRep:
    I would say QM purely because I found Goldsmiths utterly dreadful. Worst three months of my life, glad I left.

ReputationRep:
    I had a quick look at the poll and it seems that I'm the only one who voted for Goldsmiths lol.

Goldsmiths' Psychology department is pretty good and is more established than Queen Mary's very new department, so it's difficult to measure how good they are for Psychology. You should look at the unistats website to find out whether the statistics (if there are any) go in their favour.

However, Goldsmiths is located in a rubbish area (New Cross). Mile End and Whitechapel (Queen Mary) are fine in my opinion; there's a good community over there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I already have enough universities with AAB, I looked at their prospectus and I'm not really sure. I know you don't do psychology but do you know anything about their psychology course?
    30% of my modules are psychology, so although im not doing it - i suppose i can sort of get a feel for it. From what ive seen so far there's a lot of room to pick and choose modules to suit your interests and areas of expertise - although I cant really say too much as i only start lectures tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for queen Mary to do psychology 2016?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.