Turn on thread page Beta

"We Just Don't Work Anymore" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started uni one week ago. I was going to go to the same uni as my girlfriend, but I performed a bit better in my A-Levels than I predicted and I got into a better university.

Before we parted, my girlfriend started becoming quite distant from me. I would try and arrange dates, but she would always say she's busy with arranging stuff for uni. Granted, she did leave some things until the last minute.

When I saw her on results day, she seemed happy for our results and we had 'alone' time together and then went to a party in the evening. Something that bothered me was that she seemed sad at the end of it when we were walking home.

I really wanted to give the LDR a try. I ordered a rail card so I could hop on a train and visit her (takes about four hours, but hey, it's worth it in my eyes).

I've called her a couple of times over the course of the week and we've exchanged some text messages. She's doing a similar course to me, so I wanted to hear what she thought about the whole uni thing and her subject. The first call went well, we talked about our freshers events and such.

The second was a different story. She basically told me to leave her alone and that she was going to bed. Earlier today, she sent me a text asking me to call her, which I did. It took me a while to get her to tell me what she wanted to tell me. That's kinda normal for her though; she's quiet by nature. She told me that she wanted to break up with me, because she doesn't feel the same way she used to.

Doesn't feel the same way she used to. That's made me feel pretty worthless. It makes me feel like I've lost something. Part of me thinks the uni atmosphere and the distance between us has affected her like it has with me. The thing is, it's only been a week and hasn't even given me a chance to go and visit. In short, she hasn't given the LDR a chance, when I think it can work. The other nag is that I don't know whether she felt like this on our last few dates and she was stringing me along.

I've been trying to call her, but she rejects all my calls. I don't really know what to do. I don't think there's anything I can do, as she said she's made up her mind and I can't change it.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who's been through this.

You're not the only one, one never is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunarLeon)
    I started uni one week ago. I was going to go to the same uni as my girlfriend, but I performed a bit better in my A-Levels than I predicted and I got into a better university.

Before we parted, my girlfriend started becoming quite distant from me. I would try and arrange dates, but she would always say she's busy with arranging stuff for uni. Granted, she did leave some things until the last minute.

When I saw her on results day, she seemed happy for our results and we had 'alone' time together and then went to a party in the evening. Something that bothered me was that she seemed sad at the end of it when we were walking home.

I really wanted to give the LDR a try. I ordered a rail card so I could hop on a train and visit her (takes about four hours, but hey, it's worth it in my eyes).

I've called her a couple of times over the course of the week and we've exchanged some text messages. She's doing a similar course to me, so I wanted to hear what she thought about the whole uni thing and her subject. The first call went well, we talked about our freshers events and such.

The second was a different story. She basically told me to leave her alone and that she was going to bed. Earlier today, she sent me a text asking me to call her, which I did. It took me a while to get her to tell me what she wanted to tell me. That's kinda normal for her though; she's quiet by nature. She told me that she wanted to break up with me, because she doesn't feel the same way she used to.

Doesn't feel the same way she used to. That's made me feel pretty worthless. It makes me feel like I've lost something. Part of me thinks the uni atmosphere and the distance between us has affected her like it has with me. The thing is, it's only been a week and hasn't even given me a chance to go and visit. In short, she hasn't given the LDR a chance, when I think it can work. The other nag is that I don't know whether she felt like this on our last few dates and she was stringing me along.

I've been trying to call her, but she rejects all my calls. I don't really know what to do. I don't think there's anything I can do, as she said she's made up her mind and I can't change it.

so??? man up and get on with life, would you??
    Uni is a great opportunity to move on, take a chance and stop dwelling on it.

ReputationRep:
    move on. don't dwell on it or it'll ruin your start to uni. have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunarLeon)

Nah pal, I'm dealing with this too. Difference is, I'm a second year and my ex-gf is now a fresher. The best, and from what I can tell, the only thing you can do is to do your best to move on. Uni is a perfect place to do that, because you're meeting new people constantly and you don't really get much time to dwell on stuff like that...well in the first few weeks anyway! Good luck mate!

ReputationRep:
    dont let her ruin your uni experience, if she is ignoring you and being horrible then she doesnt deserve your time
    give it to someone more worthy

ReputationRep:
    Thats nothing.. today my best friend from her boyfriend of 2 years 'Sorry, uni is too much fun, i wanna pull strangers, we're over' .

This was after 2 days at uni, on a mobile in a club. She just hung up on him.
    Complete git, ey?

Move on, don't let anyone ruin your good time. Enjoy being single.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin)
    Thats nothing.. today my best friend from her boyfriend of 2 years 'Sorry, uni is too much fun, i wanna pull strangers, we're over' .

This was after 2 days at uni, on a mobile in a club. She just hung up on him.
    Complete git, ey?

Move on, don't let anyone ruin your good time. Enjoy being single.
    :lolwut: now that is harsh!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.