Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by ovie)
    Thanks! I've been looking through them all,and still can't make up my mind !!!
    Remember you'll only be living there for a year, and if you're going to struggle with your budget then choose the lowest priced self-catering accommodation. I'd recommend Parkwood Houses or Darwin college as it's cheaper to buy food where you can prepare and cook with an oven. When I moved into college accommodation my food shopping bill pretty much doubled as I was so limited on the stuff I could prepare and keep.

ReputationRep:
    I've was on the online application for picking accomodation, actually on the 4 choices you have to make, and on there,the wasnt an option for Park Wood Flat (the non en suite) one...Ie there was only an option of Park Wood ensuite flat...why could that be?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovie)
    I've was on the online application for picking accomodation, actually on the 4 choices you have to make, and on there,the wasnt an option for Park Wood Flat (the non en suite) one...Ie there was only an option of Park Wood ensuite flat...why could that be?!
    Parkwood Flats don't have a standard bathroom option. There is only the option for an en suite if you are in the Flats - they are practically identical to Tyler B/C.

In Parkwood, if you want a standard bathroom, you need to pick either the 5 or 6 bed houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beffnee)
    Parkwood Flats don't have a standard bathroom option. There is only the option for an en suite if you are in the Flats - they are practically identical to Tyler B/C.

In Parkwood, if you want a standard bathroom, you need to pick either the 5 or 6 bed houses.
    Thanks!! Its just on the accomodation price list,there appears to be a distinction between those two options. The non ensuite park wod flat is 1000 cheaper...it just got me confused!

ReputationRep:
    Doing business admin this year and cannot wait! Wish September would hurry up already!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going there for Economics this September, if I get the grades hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be a Postgraduate in September, MA International Relations.

Any other PG students here?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Postgraduate student, doing 18th Century Studies in September.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a PG student too, course - MSC Visual Effects

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me if the refundable deposit for accommodation of £300 is included in the first terms payment? On the website it doesn't make it clear (or its just me ha) if its on top of the first payment stated? hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    If it's Postgrad accommodation you're talking about, then if you're successful and get a room, they deduct the £300 off your first term amount. If you're unsuccessful, it gets refunded. For every other accommodation, you get your deposit returned at the end of the year once they've checked to see you haven't smashed your room up in a drunken night of debauchery.

(Original post by redrose_ftw)
    Can anyone tell me if the refundable deposit for accommodation of £300 is included in the first terms payment? On the website it doesn't make it clear (or its just me ha) if its on top of the first payment stated? hope that makes sense
    Looking at your profile I assume an UG course?
    It has to be paid with the 1st term payment, and then at the end of term if you've not damaged your room or owe the uni any money (library fee's etc) then it will be returned, or the amount you owe will be deducted and the rest will be returned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    It has to be paid with the 1st term payment, and then at the end of term if you've not damaged your room or owe the uni any money (library fee's etc) then it will be returned, or the amount you owe will be deducted and the rest will be returned
    Just curious - Have you had your deposit cheque back yet? It seems like I'm the only person to have not received it yet, so I'm concerned it's been lost in the post... They emailed a month ago saying they would be sent out within the next couple of weeks, so I'm beginning to think it's not coming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Yes its a UG course, i meant it says the first terms payment is £1388 (park wood), does that already include the £300 deposit or is the deposit an extra on top of the term payment?

ReputationRep:
    Yes its a UG course, i meant it says the first terms payment is £1388 (park wood), does that already include the £300 deposit or is the deposit an extra on top of the term payment?
    Deposit is on top of that, if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Deposit is on top of that, if I remember correctly.
    Whaaaaat arghh, do you know if there is any chance I can change my accommodation choices? I've chosen en-suite and slowly realising i don't have a cat in hells chance of affording it :/

ReputationRep:
    Whaaaaat arghh, do you know if there is any chance I can change my accommodation choices? I've chosen en-suite and slowly realising i don't have a cat in hells chance of affording it :/
    Contact the Accommodation Office. I'm sure they will be able to help you. I know people did manage to change it to less expensive options. You would be best to do it sooner, rather than later, I should think!

Just curious - Have you had your deposit cheque back yet? It seems like I'm the only person to have not received it yet, so I'm concerned it's been lost in the post... They emailed a month ago saying they would be sent out within the next couple of weeks, so I'm beginning to think it's not coming!
    Not getting mine back so no. I know people have had it though. Ring the income office.

No the £300 needs to be paid as an extra

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, does Kent do summer reading lists for students possibly starting in September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asha_patel)
    I was just wondering, does Kent do summer reading lists for students possibly starting in September?
    http://readinglists.kent.ac.uk/

I don't know how accurate this is since they sometimes change editions or texts you're studying, but it's a good place to start.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.