Alternative route to uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lbar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi everyone! I'm new here

I'm 20 years old. I never got to complete my A levels for very good but personal reasons. I got really bad GCSE results too which wasn't a sign of ability but more how much I hated high school.
Lifes moved on now and I am nearing the end of my Software Engineering HNC which I blagged my way onto based on the 2 years industry experience I had after I left school. I put in a lot of work and it paid off.
I just applied to do software engineering BSci/BEng at 6 unis with 2 confirmed distinctions and 4 merits and another pending result. What are my chances with this?
My educational background is less than glamorous but with these sort of results I could expect 2nd year entry into most universities. Are they likely to look at my background or see what I am capable of now?
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
Hi everyone! I'm new here

I'm 20 years old. I never got to complete my A levels for very good but personal reasons. I got really bad GCSE results too which wasn't a sign of ability but more how much I hated high school.
Lifes moved on now and I am nearing the end of my Software Engineering HNC which I blagged my way onto based on the 2 years industry experience I had after I left school. I put in a lot of work and it paid off.
I just applied to do software engineering BSci/BEng at 6 unis with 2 confirmed distinctions and 4 merits and another pending result. What are my chances with this?
My educational background is less than glamorous but with these sort of results I could expect 2nd year entry into most universities. Are they likely to look at my background or see what I am capable of now?
With qualifications like your HNC, Universities tend to consider your applications individually. That said, you have all the transferable skills of having worked in industry and also the good academic record in your HNC. This to me shows you're able and will give some of the admissions tutors the idea that you're a late bloomer which could work to your advantage. They'll take everything into consideration, but Universities usually openly welcome Mature students. I assume you'll be fine, Good Luck!
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thanks! Maybe your right. I certainly hope I will be given consideration as not everyones situation is as straightforward as we might like. I was always good in school when I was younger, actually I was always expected to become an artist. Strange how things work out. But things change...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads