Turn on thread page Beta

Homesick At University watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Regardless of age, someone is entitled to miss their Mum. For all you know, he could have a very strong bond with her or something.

And how can you possibly say uni isn't for him? University could be perfectly fine for him when he eventually gets used to it and settles in.....OR if he were to go to a uni in his own city or nearby. But to say it's no good for him at all is just stupid. Not everybody deals with being away from home and family so easily.....there is no need to be mean, it's not like those of us who find it hard to adjust actually enjoy it.
    It wasn't just because the OP misses his mummy that I said he isn't suited to uni. He was also complaining about being in proximity of other people, having to get to know new people, living in student accommodation, just normal things normal people and thousands of other students can easily deal with and he seems to want to break down and cry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like someone negged me for telling it how it is. I'm the one who doesn't have the courage to say insults to someone's face? Yet you respond anonymously, :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    It wasn't just because the OP misses his mummy that I said he isn't suited to uni. He was also complaining about being in proximity of other people, having to get to know new people, living in student accommodation, just normal things normal people and thousands of other students can easily deal with and he seems to want to break down and cry about it.
    Well if he went to uni at home he wouldn't really need to get to know new people. He could stay in his own little bubble if he wanted, and he wouldn't have to be in student accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Well if he went to uni at home he wouldn't really need to get to know new people. He could stay in his own little bubble if he wanted, and he wouldn't have to be in student accommodation.
    Sounds like a pretty pathetic existence to me, might as well just get a job and do an Open university degree if you don't want the lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Sounds like a pretty pathetic existence to me, might as well just get a job and do an Open university degree if you don't want the lifestyle.
    Well it might be a pathetic existence to you, but to somebody else could be quite content like that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    aw bubs, it will get better, thinking back to my first ever freshers week - i was feeling like this. i didn't go home until christmas, apart from the very first weekend, and that sorted me out

you really should stick it out - you will either get used to your surroundings or actually end up liking them... if your accommodation is still unbearable 2/3 weeks in though - find somewhere different

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly the same. I was completely unprepared for University and the massive change that you go through. The night before I hadn't even properly packed and it hadn't even sunk in that I was moving away. When I moved in and my parents left and I was on my own, I actually just looked around my room and burst into tears - it didn't help that I had picked the most disgusting accommodation ever. My roomates were ALL from the same part of London, and all girly girls, so I felt quite left out and was just like 'what am I doing here?'. The whole experience was so overwhelming and I was just not mentally prepared for it, so after a few weeks I moved back home and commuted. A year later, I can say it's the best thing I ever did. I'm taking a year out from University now (long story, I hate my course as well so that was even more depressing so I'm going to a different uni next year).
    Don't ever feel like you've failed because you want to go back home, and don't ever feel bad for being homesick. Everybody is different - some people are close to their families and just want to sit in and watch tv and other people want to go out and party at uni 24/7. Now I know more about what to expect and what the whole experience is about, I feel alot more prepared and alot more confident about going back to University and actually can't wait to live in halls (hopefully in nicer halls this time!). I know now what I want, so if you want to commute, do it, plenty of people do. I think you have to accept everyone is different and everyone will get different experiences out of University, and you don't have to be like everyone else, so do what makes you happy and don't live somewhere that makes you miserable!

ReputationRep:
    Get your own room.

ReputationRep:
    Im having some bother myself..I won't be going home til Christmas because I need a plane to go home, and it is really playing on my mind. Almost had a panic attack over it.

ReputationRep:
    hail to all homesickers ) may it all turn from panic to panic at the disco sorta say ..

ReputationRep:
    I want to go home My flatmates are nice but I just don't want to be at uni anymore. I spoke to my mum just and resumed crying.

Did it ever get better?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was pretty homesick the first couple of weeks, I just slept a lot and hated but it went away with time.

Now Uni is awesome =D

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.