Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in the first year of college and have been studying my AS levels for about three weeks now. I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and History. However, I have a predicament that has been really bothering me, and I was hoping to receive some advice or opinions!

When I first chose my AS level subjects before starting college, I was undecided on whether I wanted to go on to study Maths or one of the sciences at university. I decided to keep my options open by taking Biology and Chemistry, and I also decided to take Further Maths as I heard it is really useful if you want to do a Maths degree. I took History because I really love it and enjoy it, and I felt like it gave me a bit of a break from all of the Science and Maths!

However, since starting college I have made up my mind for definate that I want to go down the medical route, preferably to be a vet. I am aware that if I want to do a Veternary course it will require a huge amount of commitment, aswell as a huge amount of work experience! I also have extra curricular activities such as piano lessons and Duke of Edinburgh outside of college.

I have come to the decision that it would be best for me to drop one of my AS levels so I am just doing four the first year, and then carrying on with Biol, Chem and Maths in the second year. I think that this will allow me to manage my time better, so I can work harder at getting the best marks I can in the four subjects I choose to carry on with, and so I will also manage to find time to do the work experience I need.

However, my problem is that I really don't know what to drop! I'm really enjoying History a lot more than Further Maths at the moment, but would having a Further Maths AS be more desirable than a History AS for studying to be a vet at Uni? Or do Universities not really mind what fourth subject you took to AS? Basically, if Further Maths will be a great advantage to me then I will carry on with it, but if not so then I would rather continue with History! I would be really grateful for some opinions!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think you need Further Maths for Vet.
    You can check the uni prospectuses you're interested in and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    History imo, it's easier. History will give you good "essay skills etc"
    pretty good for a personal statement.
    Further Maths is Over-rated :P
    could be good to show some variety aswell.
    Either a levels are well respected, and uni's shouldn't have a problem with either.
    six of one halfa dozen of the other.

ReputationRep:
    Drop Further Maths. For medicine/dentistry/veterinary courses a lot of unis will just consider maths and further maths as just 1 qualification (or it will not gain very much extra credit compared with another AS level which will show variety). Oh and most unis wont care what your 4th AS is as long as your other 3 A2's are science subjects/maths.

ReputationRep:
    I NEED some urgent help. I am predicted A*AAb for A-level and I got 2A* 3As 3B 3C at GCSE. I got 637.5 in my ukcat (510 680 680 680). I want to apply for dentistry, and my teacher said that I have to tell her about my final decision about what degree I want to study. ---Is it true that medicine entry 2011 is easier than dentistry entry 2011?- (By the way I am still looking into medicine or civil engineering)

ReputationRep:
    I would drop F.Math. Your more likely to do well in History since you enjoy it. F maths is no more of a bounus then History is when it comes to a Vet course.

ReputationRep:
    I would drop F.Math. Your more likely to do well in History since you enjoy it. F maths is no more of a bounus then History is when it comes to a Vet course.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.