Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I wasting my time? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, I just started my History degree at Leeds Met. After reading the first two modules I'm starting to think the course is a bit of a joke. Would a history degree from a university like Leeds Met even be worth anything in the current job market.

I.e Am I wasting my time and money?

ReputationRep:
    Not really compared to others, as Leeds Met is near the bottom of uni league tables.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say to choose something you're enjoying, and if you enjoy History to finish the course and not to worry about whats going to happen afterwards because you might find a job easier than a person with an Economics degree.

ReputationRep:
    A degree is better than no degree.even if you don't pursue a'' history career ''employers esteem people with a uni degree more.
    Try to get a first tho since it seems you can do it.
    By the way.The united nations recruits lots of people with History or Georgraphy degrees and I do mean A LOT. Try looking there for some job prospects?Being a native english speaker will help too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    Not really compared to others, as Leeds Met is near the bottom of uni league tables.
    And that's supposed to mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    A degree is better than no degree.even if you don't pursue a'' history career ''employers esteem people with a uni degree more.
    Try to get a first tho since it seems you can do it.
    By the way.The united nations recruits lots of people with History or Georgraphy degrees and I do mean A LOT. Try looking there for some job prospects?Being a native english speaker will help too.
    Is the money spent and debt collected worth the future benefits of having a degree?

ReputationRep:
    were havin a pant wet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deanbh)
    Is the money spent and debt collected worth the future benefits of having a degree?
    Well as long as you can get a decent job, yeah. You could always do a Masters at a better uni once you've finished your Bachelors if you're that worried about employment. As long as you're actually enjoying Leeds Met then stick with it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.