Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people who have never tried drugs, allowed an opinion? watch

ReputationRep:
    Any time you read about some sportsman/woman or actor/actress doing a drug such as cocaine it is written in such a way that makes it sound as if it's the worst thing a human being could possibly do. That person is vilified and made out to be evil incarnate. This then allows all kinds of morons to come out of the woodwork expressing their views etc, yet you can almost always guarantee they've never even seen the drug in person, let alone tried it.

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who has smoked weed or knows people who smoke it would freely admit that the drug causes almost zero harm. Compare it to alchohol....

The ignorance and stupidity that surrounds drugs is akin to the ignorance shown towards religion in this country. Yet we accept it. Why?

I'd be interested to see how many of you have/haven't taken drugs and what your opinions are on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an opinion on paedophilia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Any time you read about some sportsman/woman or actor/actress doing a drug such as cocaine it is written in such a way that makes it sound as if it's the worst thing a human being could possibly do. That person is vilified and made out to be evil incarnate. This then allows all kinds of morons to come out of the woodwork expressing their views etc, yet you can almost always guarantee they've never even seen the drug in person, let alone tried it.

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who has smoked weed or knows people who smoke it would freely admit that the drug causes almost zero harm. Compare it to alchohol....

The ignorance and stupidity that surrounds drugs is akin to the ignorance shown towards religion in this country. Yet we accept it. Why?

I'd be interested to see how many of you have/haven't taken drugs and what your opinions are on the matter.
    That may be so with weed, but your example was cocaine, quite different tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    That may be so with weed, but your example was cocaine, quite different tbh.
    People are ignorant on both issues tbf. Weed is better known of course, but you still here people talk absolute rubbish about its side-effects etc.

Lest we forget those scientists who walked out recently over it...

ReputationRep:
    I've never taken drugs, and I think those who do are losers.

But I think they should be legal, since it's a person's right to take them, and they shouldn't be punished by the state for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Weed and cocaine are way different, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    :rolleyes:

Why are they losers? It's this sort of laughable comment that never ceases to amaze me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
    Weed and cocaine are way different, trust me.
    If we're talking in terms of possible side-effects then of course you're right. However as it stands both are illegal and both are reported very incorrectly which is why they can be compared.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to try for example heroine to know it's a load of ****. You just have to hear how one of your friends who moved onto it from lighter drugs like weed then burgles his best friends house to fund his habit after throwing away a fantastic job.

But then I guess my opinion is invalid because I refuse to shoot up? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

But I think they should be legal, since it's a person's right to take them, and they shouldn't be punished by the state for doing so.
    Why are they "losers"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)

Coke and pot are two different things mate, you know where you're at with Pot, but Coke can be a bad realm to be in, you don't always know what's in it. I agree though, anyone who can happily sip a beer but will take the high ground on pot with out trying it, or smoke a cigarette and tell me pot is a dirty habit, well...Those people can do one ;D

ReputationRep:
    I've never been raped; am I allowed an opinion on that?

And I like drugs. :suith:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcessNeo)
    You don't have to try for example heroine to know it's a load of ****. You just have to hear how one of your friends who moved onto it from lighter drugs like weed then burgles his best friends house to fund his habit after throwing away a fantastic job.

But then I guess my opinion is invalid because I refuse to shoot up? :rolleyes:
    Yet another post full of ignorance.

This idea/theory that somehow weed leads straight to heroin is unbelievably ridiculous.

It's an idea portrayed by certain sectors of the media that people lap up because they're too scared/ignorant to find out the truth for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    What? So you think only people who have broken the law by taking drugs should be allowed an opinion? Surely that would make it bias? Everyone can have an opinion. And everyone doesn't need to take drugs to know the effects, we know!
    There is research and plenty of people will have seen the effects on people they know of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Becky_)
    What? So you think only people who have broken the law by taking drugs should be allowed an opinion? Surely that would make it bias? Everyone can have an opinion. And everyone doesn't need to take drugs to know the effects, we know!
    There is research and plenty of people will have seen the effects on people they know of.
    How many people actually read the research and how many decide to listen to the second or third hand information they receive from some idiot down the pub?

You only have to look in this thread to see the ignorance that a few of the posters have shown and this is only page 1!

ReputationRep:
    Weed,cocaine,LSD,heroine,crack,m eth,speed all those are pussy drugs.Nothing beats Nutmeg yo!

ReputationRep:
    ah think everyone should try drugs at least once.

yer only young once, might as wel subject your brain to a mind-altering substance when ye have an excuse to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Echoing what most have said, you don't have to have experienced something to have an opinion on it! That's a no-brainer really.
    I suppose with drugs, and most other things, it's the negativity associated with it that's the reason why people tend to criticise its usage.
    I've never tried drugs before and have no intention of doing so. This is wholly because I've seen it completely destroy and even kill people that I love and I don't want to know people on drugs in case they get it out of control and destroy or kill them - I've lost enough people that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Do you have an opinion on paedophilia?
    hahaha, superb :congrats:
    I was going to post something about never having drunk paint, but yours is much better.

in response, in all seriousness, to OP, though, I have no objection to people taking drugs. Put what you want in your body if it makes you happy. or even if it doesn't make you happy; what's it to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ck88)
    Echoing what most have said, you don't have to have experienced something to have an opinion on it! That's a no-brainer really.
    I suppose with drugs, and most other things, it's the negativity associated with it that's the reason why people tend to criticise its usage.
    I've never tried drugs before and have no intention of doing so. This is wholly because I've seen it completely destroy and even kill people that I love and I don't want to know people on drugs in case they get it out of control and destroy or kill them - I've lost enough people that way.
    I've never met a Muslim person, but as they get loads of bad press am I allowed to be critical of them?

It's ignorance and stupidity whatever way you choose to look at it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.