Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people who have never tried drugs, allowed an opinion? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Maybe a bit too severe but I tend to agree with this. And for your info, Alexander of Troy was an amazingly accurate portrayal of hellenistic civillization..........
    Well thank you, and yes! I do have a tendency to take things to the extreme, especially with my statements.

I haven't seen Alexander of Troy, but now that you recommend it, I'll put it on my Netflix queue right after Miami Blues and I Spit on Your Grave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    "If he thought he could fly why didn't he take off from the ground first? Check it out? You don't see geese lined up to catch elevators to fly south; they fly from the ******* ground. He's an idiot. He's dead. Good! We lost a moron? ******* celebrate. There's one less moron in the world."
    bill hicks :') whatta ledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Any time you read about some sportsman/woman or actor/actress doing a drug such as cocaine it is written in such a way that makes it sound as if it's the worst thing a human being could possibly do. That person is vilified and made out to be evil incarnate. This then allows all kinds of morons to come out of the woodwork expressing their views etc, yet you can almost always guarantee they've never even seen the drug in person, let alone tried it.

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who has smoked weed or knows people who smoke it would freely admit that the drug causes almost zero harm. Compare it to alchohol....

The ignorance and stupidity that surrounds drugs is akin to the ignorance shown towards religion in this country. Yet we accept it. Why?

I'd be interested to see how many of you have/haven't taken drugs and what your opinions are on the matter.
    Why are people who do drugs allowed to live? Scumbags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    good point, i just though i'd be pedantic and point out that LSD can hardly be classified as a soft drug, it truly does mess with your mind and people have been known to kill themselves whilst on it thinking they can fly or getting depressed during a bad trip or something :eek3:
    That's just an urban legend. LSD is rightly considered 'soft' because it is non-toxic, non-addictive and isn't linked to any long term physical or mental side effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    That's just an urban legend. LSD is rightly considered 'soft' because it is non-toxic, non-addictive and isn't linked to any long term physical or mental side effects.
    hm, just went on ask frank and you're more or less right
    i suppose the question then is, is it right to let people freely take something which can have such completely devastating short-term consequences?
    although i realise this applies to alcohol as well, and alcohol is actually worse for you, but that's a whole other story

but say we compare LSD to the other soft drug mentioned, weed
    weed is obviously much less likely to make you harm yourself?

ReputationRep:
    To who? The user? I would be happy to bet that treating alcohol related issues costs this country far more money.

I've no issue with heroin being demonised. It's an evil drug, but Coke is not nearly as bad as people make out.
    Cocaine is addictive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    hm, just went on ask frank and you're more or less right
    i suppose the question then is, is it right to let people freely take something which can have such completely devastating short-term consequences?
    although i realise this applies to alcohol as well, and alcohol is actually worse for you, but that's a whole other story

but say we compare LSD to the other soft drug mentioned, weed
    weed is obviously much less likely to make you harm yourself?
    I don't think so really. LSD doesn't remove your ability to detect danger like alcohol does, and you still understand the basic rules of the universe. If anything, users tend to prefer to stick to familiar settings, like your friend.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking and drinking costs far, far more to the NHS. Why are they legal?
    Alcohol and cigarettes have been legal for a long time because no one knew they were bad for your health.

Now that we know the damage they can cause the only thing to do is to educate people and get them to decide for themselves that smoking and binge drinking is bad and shouldn't be done. It is very hard to make a product illegal after it has been freely available for such a long time.

Drugs are a different matter. We already know that they are bad for your health and that people are likely to abuse them. If you legalise them now, you can never make them illegal again. We can barely afford to provide adequate healthcare for people already. I don't think more drug addicts is what the NHS needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I wasn't talking about the thread title :facepalm: The question in the thread title is a perfectly valid discussion point and one that I've discussed loads in the past. But that's not what you and I were discussing.

The pointless discussion I was referring to was your interchange with rajandkwameali, where you felt the desperate need to question him about why he considers drug-taking to be loserish. It's a pointless discussion because such concepts don't exist outside of people's personal preferences. HENCE why I brought up an example of tastes in food. If you don't get it now, you never will.
    People can discuss food and many foods are pretty universally agreed to be delicious or terrible. Exceptions I find odd I pursue to further my understanding of other points of view. Rarely I'll actually learn something new from the exchange. For example, my brother hates chocolate with a passion; with a little probing we discovered that he is a "supertaster". I never knew such a thing existed before.

I REALLY struck a nerve with you huh? Neg rep and everything :rofl:
    I'd hate to have a conversation with you for fear of you blowing up should I ask your opinion on something.

ReputationRep:
    Shut up you crackhead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klare)
    Drugs are a different matter. We already know that they are bad for your health and that people are likely to abuse them. If you legalise them now, you can never make them illegal again. We can barely afford to provide adequate healthcare for people already. I don't think more drug addicts is what the NHS needs.
    If we made them legal we would be able to afford more. The war on drugs is rather expensive, and legalizing them means taxing them. The government is taking something that should be a notable source of income into a huge financial drain.

And legalized also means regulated. Safer drugs means less medical issues with it, and with a proper education front-rather than the lies and slander they put out now that are so easy to see through, which is really all they can do to save face while drugs remain illegal-addiction could be lessened simply because people would be aware of the disastrous effects.

In reality, people who want to do such heavy drugs are the type of person who doesn't give two ***** about whether it's legal or not. I can't imagine someone out there is really interested in coke but has been avoiding the stuff because the law tells him to.

(first part of your post was fair enough, btw, but I don't think a person harming himself should be illegal for morality's sake)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Cocaine, Ecstasy, Dope, Crack and GHB.
    Ice, Speed, Ketamine, Nitrous and Heroin.
    Mescaline, DMT, Mushrooms and LSD.
    Am your pill provider, get this **** inside you!

*cough*

On a serious note, and not one from DJ S3rL:

All of which, are ****, bad for you, kill you (eventually) and pretty much single out the ******* retards in our society and those in societies around the world who take 'em.
    I said this to my Mum and Step-Dad when I found out they'd smoked Weed when they were younger, and I said it to my brothers, my sister and my mates who've done it.

The stuff is ******* crap... You wouldn't smoke dog-****, and you wouldn't inject Bleach or Paint-Stipper into you. Its the same principal.

The Government should do more to make sure its all banned. I will never go near the stuff, and again, I think people that do are stupid. "Lets take this **** that kills us... It kills us yet we're still doing it!!!" Its ******* stupid...

You don't need Drugs to have a "good time". Thus, I'll always be against it. The stuff is posion, and you're putting it into your bodies? Does that not seem stupid in any way to you?

Meh, take if it you want. **** up your own body... Several people in our year at School have died from taking Drugs, and it was their own fault. I've no sympathy for those that take illegal drugs, at all.
    Is this guy serious?

ReputationRep:
    Any time you read about some sportsman/woman or actor/actress doing a drug such as cocaine it is written in such a way that makes it sound as if it's the worst thing a human being could possibly do. That person is vilified and made out to be evil incarnate. This then allows all kinds of morons to come out of the woodwork expressing their views etc, yet you can almost always guarantee they've never even seen the drug in person, let alone tried it.

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who has smoked weed or knows people who smoke it would freely admit that the drug causes almost zero harm. Compare it to alchohol....

The ignorance and stupidity that surrounds drugs is akin to the ignorance shown towards religion in this country. Yet we accept it. Why?

I'd be interested to see how many of you have/haven't taken drugs and what your opinions are on the matter.
    I'm sorry but I don't agree with this.

You're saying that in order to have an opinion on something, you have to have experienced it first hand?

So why are we allowed an opinion on murder? Why do we get to say that murder is a morally bad thing to do when most people haven't murdered someone?

The point is that we do not have to have experienced something to be able to have an opinion on something. It is something I think that encompasses our right to freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is also our freedom to express our own opinions.

Now our society is built upon the belief that everyone should be given as much freedom to live their lives how they wish. Right? No on the face of it, yes it seems that people who condemn others who do drugs are restricting the freedom of those people, but the thing with that is we also live in a society where we try and help people who are sick, who are less fortunate etc. Unfortunately drugs cause people to become sick, and they cause crime as well.

Now in our society we try and minimise this as most people don't want to be ill or victims of crime. Society sees drugs as creating victims in many areas. These victims are people who receive poorer treatment at hospitals because the hospital has drug abusers in there, or the people who are affected by violence associated with drugs, or the children of drug users who don't get food because their parents spent the food money on drugs.
    Now these are all extreme cases.

By far the largest victim is the tax payer, who has to foot the bill for the police, hospitals, rehab centers etc etc. Nobody likes paying taxes, and nobody likes paying for the costs of drugs on our society. That is why people who have never tried drugs, have an opinion on drugs. Because it still affects them. And that is why drugs are illegal. Because we live in a democracy and the majority vote rules and the majority do not approve of drugs it seems.

Thought provoking thread though.

ReputationRep:

I don't take drugs and oppose drug use for the following simple reasons:

-Studies and personal experiences show that it is harmful to take most drugs; marijuana as the example (as it's seen as least harmful) has been linked to awakening latent psychosis in users.

-Using drugs illegally involves buying them from criminal dealers who frequently invest this money in other criminal enterprise eg Heroin from poppies grown in Afganistan has been shown to flow straight to terrorist organisations.

-Legalising drugs will only cause people to ignore the medical evidence for harm caused by drugs. ("If it's legal it must be safe, yeah?") Before you use the example of Alcohol, alcohol has been in use for centuries and having passed through horrendous alcohol-based hardship (eg the Gin Epidemic), we have learned how best to deal with the associated problems. We cannot afford to go through similar hardships for the sake of working out if drugs can be properly controlled.

-Addiction to "hard" drugs such as Heroin and Cocaine is a destructive force not only on the life of the addict, but on their family, friends, children, and society in general. (The more addicts there are, the less useful work force; economy suffers etc.)

ReputationRep:

Cry more druggie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    People who support legalising drugs only ever bring up cannabis as an example.
    I don't.. i bring up pretty much all the main ones..

ReputationRep:
    Well of course the media portray everything as being worse than it is because that is what they do. Cannabis is so different to the harder drugs such as cocaine though, and those famous people in the newspapers/news could be seen as examples to some people such as fans etc. which has a negative influence on children and/or others.

ReputationRep:

Aside from people having opinions about drugs, I think you're right to point out the widespread ignorance that many people have regarding the subject. Tabloid newspapers in particular really get on my nerve.

I'm not gonna lie and say i've never taken drugs, i've tried the majority of them. I would never actively encourage someone to take them, but i think a person should have the capacity to take whatever they want. Not to be treated like a complete idiot, or be stigmatised as a 'loser' or a 'druggie'.

If people are going to experiment with drugs, they obviously need to be aware of the addictive dangers. They need to have the right mindset that what you are doing can never last forever. I took a lot of drugs with the intention that i would enjoy them for a limited amount of time. And thats what i did.

The problem is that people coming from poverty or social deprivation, probably because of a neglected education, are more prone to addiction. They have nothing to offer them and so they fall into a routine of drugs. IMO, the first step is education, not scaremongering, treating the subject as a taboo, burying the head in the sand, whatever.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.